For clarity, timbre, and detail...

Boomzilla

Given the two choices - I'd choose the latter. However, the Cornscala has much lower WAF acceptance -they're pretty large.

Chris

• Moderators

Given the two choices - I'd choose the latter. However, the Cornscala has much lower WAF acceptance -they're pretty large.

Chris

I agree, don't worry about the WAF, if you have one, just ask it's either this hobby or one with poles and girls, her choice. [:o]

Just in case your wife is sensitive to huge boxes in the living room why not a Quartet? better horns than the Heresy or the Forte ll same horns bigger bass driver slightly larger or KLF 20 nice size dont need additional stands which both the Quartet and Forte ll do to get the horns at ear height. Both of these alternates are considerably smaller than a set of Cornwalls. Best regards Moray James.

... why not a Quartet?...or the Forte lI...or KLF 20?

Thanks for the suggestions - i hadn't thought of those. Let me restate my goals & why I came to the choice originally stated:

1. I want bass to at least the lower 30s

2. I want as much midrange detail as possible

3. I want a simple solution, if possible (fewer boxes = better)

4. Size doesn't much matter (wife tolerates speakers well)

5. I want to minimize cost

What I've had in the past:

La Scalas (Good midrange but no bass extension)

Cornwalls (Good bass extension but some loss of midrange detail)

Heresys (OK midrange, but no bass extension)

What I already own now:

Heresys

Difinitive Technology Supercube I self-powered subwoofer (flat to 13 Hz)

Obviously, the current setup meets all desires above except No. 3. To finance CornScalas, I'd need to sell the current setup & toss in some cash. The benefits I'd expect from the CornScalas would be in the area of desire No. 2.

How would Quartets, Fortes or KLF-20s fit into this plan? Alternately, would putting the Heresys up on stands provide additional clarity? The bass could be compensated for by the sub...

Buy 2 Heresy's for every Cornscala you plan to buy. Then, after several months, sell the Heresy's as you buy the Cornscalas. The wife will be happy you've culled the herd by 50% and speaker size will not be an issue. This worked very well when I bought my K-horns.[:D]

... why not a Quartet?...or the Forte lI...or KLF 20?

Thanks for the suggestions - i hadn't thought of those. Let me restate my goals & why I came to the choice originally stated:

1. I want bass to at least the lower 30s
2. I want as much midrange detail as possible
3. I want a simple solution, if possible (fewer boxes = better)
4. Size doesn't much matter (wife tolerates speakers well)
5. I want to minimize cost

What I've had in the past:

La Scalas (Good midrange but no bass extension)
Cornwalls (Good bass extension but some loss of midrange detail)
Heresys (OK midrange, but no bass extension)

What I already own now:

Heresys
Difinitive Technology Supercube I self-powered subwoofer (flat to 13 Hz)

Obviously, the current setup meets all desires above except No. 3. To finance CornScalas, I'd need to sell the current setup & toss in some cash. The benefits I'd expect from the CornScalas would be in the area of desire No. 2.

How would Quartets, Fortes or KLF-20s fit into this plan? Alternately, would putting the Heresys up on stands provide additional clarity? The bass could be compensated for by the sub...

Supercube1 isn’t flat to 13 Hz. actually not even close it dips way off around 25 Hz. I run a sms-1 sub eq it has an onscreen set up and shows the true performance of subs. only way it would hit that # is if they had the stats at like +15/-15db. I love the sub works great with my other subs but I don’t know how def tec gets away with their stats on their subs. All their stats are crazy they rate the amp at like 1200 watts too [:o]

Buy 2 Heresy's for every Cornscala you plan to buy. Then, after several months, sell the Heresy's as you buy the Cornscalas. The wife will be happy you've culled the herd by 50% and speaker size will not be an issue. This worked very well when I bought my K-horns.Big Smile

A clever business plan!!! [Y][Y][Y]

[H]