Another pair of Cornscalas is born

jhoak

Bought the material yesterday morning. Worked on them until early last night and then back at them this morning. The picture is 10 or 11 hours of work. They have a ways to go before they'll make any noise but at least they're beginning to look like speakers and not just a pile of wood.

Posted Image

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have them playing by mid-day tomorrow (Monday). I'll let everyone know how they sound. I do have high hopes for them. If nothing else I've left myself a LOT of upgrade options. If they suck I can make them better for not a lot of $$.

I need to take some pictures of the port assemblies. I built them such that I can easilly adjust the port legnth to "tune" them. Pretty cool design if I do say so myself. ;)

Jeff

Thanks!!!

Basic Cornwall recipe. The cabinets are a little narrower but a little taller and a little deeper than the Cornwall specs. Overall internal volume is within 1% of a Cornwall. The port openings are also within 1% of the area of a Cornwall and the same depth. Cabinet wise they "should" give the same performance.
I'll take some internal shots before I button them up.

In the second picture you can see the blocking screwed to the bottom of the cabinet. There is the middle piece that runs parallel to the port shelves. It is glued to the floor of the cabinet. The small block towards the back of the cabinet is not glued and easily removable. Let's call it the "stop-block" that keeps the port shelves from sliding towards the back of the cabinet. Also the two blocks on the sides of the cabinet at the tops of the port shelves are removable. You see the black lines in the port shelves about an inch from the front of the cabinet? It's gasket material. When you remove the two upper blocks and the very back block the port shelves come right out. At that point I can cut new shelves either deeper to increase the port length or narrower to decrease the port length. Truth be told I probably didn't need the stop-block at all. Between the pressure of the bottom and side blocking the port shelves don't move at all and I couldn't slide them backwards.

I do have to say that just listening to them tells me they're pretty close to "right" the way they are. Total port length from the back face of the motorboard is the same as a Cornwall at 9.5"

Is that about as clear as mud?

In the living room and jamming to a little Santana. [:D]

They're still "ugly" (bare MDF) but I want to listen for a few days before I decide if I'm going to invest the $$ and time to veneer them. At the moment I'm thinking that I will. They sound VERY nice. Enough more bass output than the La Scalas that I had to crank the subwoofer down a few notches.

Posted Image

Posted Image

very nice work jeff.

i love the cornscala build. wish i had the space and budget for them.

is there a big difference if the woofer was flush mounted?

Thanks.

Everything I have read and heard indicates that it makes no difference whatsoever if the woofer is back mounted or front mounted. In this particular case the flange on the woofers are thick enough that I would have had to add material to shore up the motorboard had I flush mounted.

This really was a "quick & dirty" build out of what I had on hand. I suspect that had I wanted to build them "maxed out" I would have flush mounted the woofer for appearance if nothing else.

I'm not used to seeing woofers at all. I've been happily living with a pair of La Scalas (see avatar) for a couple of years now. No woofers to look at in those bad boys.

.The horns are these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/H4427-17-x10-1-Bolt-Horn-Lens-/250811213859?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8871870251876212913

I bought them from a forum member a couple of months ago.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/145982/1497028.aspx#1497028

They sure sound good... [:o]

I'm now about 99.9% sure that they're going to get veneered. I think they've found their "forever" home.

Anybody looking for a nice pair of La Scalas?