Speaker break-in

I have seen many posts saying my speakers sound better after a few months of being played. Is that true? I can't see why. I have Klipsch RF82

Thanks

That’s a huge debate most experts will tell you that tests say there isn’t anything that really changes. But a lot of people say they notice a change.

Yes it is true of cone-type and compression drivers...at least. But the break-in time is more like a few days under normal listening conditions.

Think of the way that these drivers are constructed - compliant surrounds - which require break-in.

Chris

• Moderators

My wife said she thought the Cornwalls sounded better after a while, I did also but never said anything to her about it to her.

If I had to guess I would think there is a short break in time but more than that your ears get use to the sound which gives you the impression there sounding better, just a guess ?

Roy Delgado (Klipsch chief engineer for commercial products) has charts showing the break-in effects - before and after "exercising" the drivers that I've seen.

Cask05 - Do you remember how long between Before and After (i.e.: 1 hour, 100 hours, etc.)?

I think I saw that too...it was on the order of seconds for tweets and mids, to a few minutes for woofers. Way less time for 'break in' than some would lead you to believe.

Cask05 - Do you remember how long between Before and After (i.e.: 1 hour, 100 hours, etc.)?

It depends on the drive level - I think Roy used something like 4-5 volts at a low frequency (somewhere around 350-400 Hz) for 30 minutes to break-in K-69-A compression drivers . I believe that woofers took a higher drive level for a slightly longer length of time.

If you were just listening to music at normal listening levels, it could take a few days of evening listening to fully break then in. I use a rule-of-thumb of about 1 week to fully break in.

Chris

Cask05 - 1 week is my rule as well, although I suspect it's more on the order of a couple of days.

Skibum - I saw the seconds for tweeters and minutes for woofers on Crites' website, maybe that's where you saw it also?

But, just because he didn't measure any difference after seconds and minutes doesn't mean that they didn't sound different a day later. Having said that, he knows a lot more about speakers than I ever will, so...

When I built my "tuba table" subwoofer, I was instructed to break in the driver for at least 20 hours before installing it, which I did. I ran a series of 25hz, 32hz, and 40hz test tones through it. Even after that break in period I noticed both an improvement in output, and a quicker response after a few weeks. So, at least for larger drivers, I would say yes, you need a break in period.

Having rebuilt and "re-drivered" a substantial number of Heritage speakers, I generally leave them on with NPR, or something like that from the tuner for about 24 hours. To my ears, there is a subtle difference between the first moment of sound to the sound from the next day. Not much, very slight; to describe it would be to say somewhat more smooth in the upper bass, lower mid levels. Just an "IMHO".

[H]