Rf 83

JasonJCarney

Damage is the problem with the RF-83 and RF-63.

MDF boxes do not stand up to damage and are hard to repair.

Once damaged, they will not stand up to humidity.

That's why they are $500, if it's too good to be true, there is a reason.

The rear corners get damaged in shipping when the box tips over and there is always more damage than you can see from the outside.

Remove the crossover from the back and see that one or more (or all) of the stand-offs are snapped.

Also, with the new bezel, you can't see the hairline cracks that begin with a rear drop like you are describing.

You have to open them up to see what you really have.

With the way the price on the RF-83 (and RF-63) have come down since they have been discontinued, get a new pair (with warranty) for under a thousand dollars.

That's the REAL deal today.

Noah

Hows $500 for a price? Slight damage on to in rear.

If damage is "only" cosmetic, $500.00 is a rockin deal.[Y]

Noah is 100% correct about completely examining them inside and out before you commit to spending your hard earned $$$. A rear drop on a 100lbs. + cabinet can be devastating to the internals as well as the structural integrity of the speaker. Can the damaged mdf be repaired so it can resist moisture? Probably so. Even with a thorough internal examination, all damage may not be revealed until that untimely moment when friends and family are over for a movie[~][pi] and the undetected damage rears its ugly head. Not cool.[N][:$][:@]

Just proceed with caution.

To answer your original question, yes the RF-83's are great speakers. A little more bass presence than the RF-63's for HT and on par with them for music.

Bill

What are the stand offs?

I'm currently trying to acertain whether or not my RC-64 was damaged during shipping. I'm having difficulties with it sounding somewhat muffled, especially the tweeter. I bought it new and it had some minor damage to the front left vertical edge of the speaker box. Since it was discontiuned and I ordered the last one, the online dealer (authorized) gave me a further discount.

I was considering removing the crossover from the back, or the front plastic cover of the speaker, to take a look at the internals. Can anyone tell me what I should look for specifically?

Thanks for your help.

post-45341-13819641511372_thumb.jpg

What are the stand offs?

I'm currently trying to acertain whether or not my RC-64 was damaged during shipping. I'm having difficulties with it sounding somewhat muffled, especially the tweeter. I bought it new and it had some minor damage to the front left vertical edge of the speaker box. Since it was discontiuned and I ordered the last one, the online dealer (authorized) gave me a further discount.

I was considering removing the crossover from the back, or the front plastic cover of the speaker, to take a look at the internals. Can anyone tell me what I should look for specifically?

Thanks for your help.

Ouch