HT Room - Sub Choices w/ $2K budget

Beechnut

Right now, leaning toward x1 SVS PB13 Ultra. (Option to add another later in life when I have a dedicated HT room)

Other options:

x2 ED designs A5-350's

x2 HSU ULS 15

Can't get a crazy sized sub or big DIY cause of WAF. This is all going in the living room/common room that attaches to the kitchen. Asthetics are important.

I'm wondering if the SVS will be enough for the room or if 2 HSU's would be better. I like the wireless idea on the HSU? (Does that degrade the signal much?)

Below is a quick power point of the room. Ent cntr has to go on the 17' side...no compromise here. Sitting area is 17' wide by 21' deep. Add walkway and kitchen then open area ends up being 21' wide by 35' deep.

Posted Image

Sitting area is 17' wide by 21' deep. Add walkway and kitchen then open area ends up being 21' wide by 35' deep.

Beechnut,

I have a somewhat similar sized room, 16 wide by 31 deep by 12 high which is open to a kitchen and nook but closed in the front. I sit about 11 feet from front wall. I just recently bought (2) Paradigm Servo 15a subs. One of the 15's rocks my room with more bass than ever before. Two of them would be more balanced and definitely provide more dB's but I don't think it is necessary for my application. I decided to mesh one 15a with my RSW-10d and the results are remarkable.

I think for your room, one SVS PB13 Ultra will have no trouble at all filling the area with substantial low frequencies. The SVS(750w RMS) is more powerful than my Paradigm(400w RMS/1200w peak) and has room compensation settings so the irregularity/size of your room should not be a problem for one SVS to tackle.

Disclaimer: This is one forum member's experience and opinions only and I stick by them.[:P]

Bill

I love sub forums it’s my favorite part of home theater but easily can be the hardest part depending on what kind of bass you might want. When I started I had one rw-12d then got another then got def tec supercube and still wanted more. I didn’t really like the bass I got from my klipsch subs so I sold them and bought epik and svs (both subs are amazing) you could get lucky and buy one sub put in the spot you wanted and boom its perfect more bass than you could ever want or need. But that’s unfortunately rarely the case every room has so many bass nulls that the odds of putting one sub in a big room and it filling the spot you sit with good base is like rolling a ten sided dice. People will tell you to put the sub where you sit then crawl around the room tell you find the best bass then put the sub there. That would work great if you don’t care where the sub ends up but for most people we have certain places we would put a sub. a svs pb-13 ultra is a great start but I think you would be better off getting two 1k subs you could get 2 epik empires for 1500 and that would be 500 cheaper than one ultra. I’m not saying svs isn’t a good value but I have a svs and an epik and the svs I have is 500 more than my empire and the empire is just as good. I wouldn’t go there if I didn’t have both siting in my room. If you buy a svs you will love it and probably buy another one down the road and be very happy. I will say the same about the Epik Empire.

There is a lot of really good sub company’s out there. And even though svs is still a great value and sub (I love mine) I think you’re spending a little bit on the name more than probably the other ones (internet direct subs) also the 13 is 1000 watts now the older one was 750

also the 13 is 1000 watts now the older one was 750

My bad with that one. When I Googled "SVS PB13 Ultra", I just clicked on the first SVS website link I saw. With that said, a 1000w sub will fill his room better than a 750w sub. If you are sticking with SVS, I say one SVS PB13 Ultra for now and then another when HT room is built. If you want the best bang for your buck now, (2) of a new "lesser" model( but still high quality/performance) subs would be great as reference_head has suggested.

Bill

i wonder how dual epik empires stack against dual ed's maybe a5-350s or a sealed design, i would wonder about placement on empires im not sure if the dual woofers might be a bit boomy when facing the wall at least in my room, also i beleive ed puts shipping into their price and epik does not that is a pickup price, im pretty sure a few of the pb13s are out of stock for a few months yet, but you can almost get 3 of the other subs for the price of one, unless that new sledge amp for svs really smacks this sub out of the ballpark i think the other 2 companies are definitly a better bang, itd be nice to know somewhere to find some direct comparisions although i dont think any choice would be a bad one to have

Thanks for the input from all.

My concern was with the odd shaped family room/HT and if 1 sub would be able to do the trick. Don't really have the option to do much in the way of treating the room right now. I've heard lots of glowing reviews on the SVS ultra series. Was looking for opinions, experiences and such in regards to this situation.

This will be the first time I'll have a sub in any surround sound setup and as with the rest of it...trying to be patient and save up the cash...do it right from the begining.

Check out ChaseHomeTheater.com subs. Probably the best bang for the buck out there now in really good sealed subs. They also have a very helpful forum. Suggest you put a post on it explaining your requirements and budget. Bet you wont regret it!

Have fun!

Rod

I have an svs pb-13 ultra and a medium irregular room. This is the fourth different sub I have had and the first one I am happy with.

I think you would be very satisfied, and as for paying for the name, I think with svs you are not paying extra just for a name.

i wonder how dual epik empires stack against dual ed's maybe a5-350s or a sealed design, i would wonder about placement on empires im not sure if the dual woofers might be a bit boomy when facing the wall at least in my room, also i beleive ed puts shipping into their price and epik does not that is a pickup price, im pretty sure a few of the pb13s are out of stock for a few months yet, but you can almost get 3 of the other subs for the price of one, unless that new sledge amp for svs really smacks this sub out of the ballpark i think the other 2 companies are definitly a better bang, itd be nice to know somewhere to find some direct comparisions although i dont think any choice would be a bad one to have

Placement with the empires is actually just as easy as any sub. (Maybe more) you can put them however you want. And being a sealed sub they are way less boomy then ported subs. my empire is tighter than my svs (2nd best svs next to the ultra) the svs does dig a little deeper. I won’t say it’s the best value sub but I will say it’s the best value I have had or heard.

I haven’t heard the old amps but my svs has the 800 watt sledge and it sounds amazing

I have an svs pb-13 ultra and a medium irregular room. This is the fourth different sub I have had and the first one I am happy with.

I think you would be very satisfied, and as for paying for the name, I think with svs you are not paying extra just for a name.

Svs is amazing and would recommend it to anyone of the big 4 internet direct company’s they probably make the highest end sub top to bottom. Even there boxing they ship them in is color and not black and white (card board brown) like epik. Epik doesn’t even add a manual whereas svs has a manual and a cd. Now those things are pennies but you get my point. I had to replace my amp on my svs and when I opened up the box and looked inside wow in 25 years of taking speakers apart I’ve never seen anything like it. That speaker is amazing the port design is like a horn instrument and the driver is a monster. My first response was wow these guys aren’t f***n around. They are top of the mountain as far as internet direct goes so I only meant that usually at that point you may be spending a little extra for the name (and worth every penny)