ESOTEC PM 6 MARANTZ acquired! !! yeeeehaaaa

guys hold on this isnt my detailed account at all. ill get back to you once iv stopped pplaying with it . so far my comments are that its not as warm , but its got horse power. and the build is robust !

the sound is great but not jaw dropping at the moment . perhaps i had been making again the same mistake of expecting superlative performance from a 35 yr oldy gear .[:S]

i remember when i brought home my third marantz , the model 2230. the feeling was ecstatic. euphoria ran for a month ! and boy i did love the sound too. and i use to describe it as if you were served a glass of plain water sweetened by three teaspoons of sugar .

this has not been the case with this PM-6 .

am i disappointed ? no ! but not exhilerated either .

it is one of my audio dreams to acquire classics . and here i am.

but i guess i have not given it much of a detailed listen yet .

perhaps you guys could comfort me too[;)][:P][:D]

the friend i got it from also suggested playing it with kef speakers .kef coda II which he had tried out. he also owns DM 220 B&Ws and a tannoy 12 inch dual concentric(dont remember the name )

i think the forwardness of klipsch RF-3s may not be ideal of a match with this amp in particular.

to me the sound has everything nice and clear . forwarded and detailed . the power it delivers could be wall breaking.

i saw a brief fight scene from the KING KONG ,the scene with three Tyrannos and the poor lone Kong. the bass had detail and clarity even at 115dbs (5 feet from speakers ).dont worry, ears were cupped .

i focused on overall control . and it did a pretty good job there.

guys i feel that the background noise is lower but not as mute as my QUAD's.

also i have not attached a cd player these days .my sony x33es is at a cousins place.so im just running my PC sound card here . OUCH . i shouldnt be treating PM 6 this bad way. [:P]..

on my headfones the pm6 sounds warm and clear.theres that typical marantz sweetness. and yes in class A the extra noise goes away.it runs mmore cleaner.

anyways.Im looking for your comments guys.

ah yes ! photos are under way .hold on to it. amigos.

I'm not surprised as that type of amp is often referred to as rather clinical sounding whereas the earlier Marantz have much more finesse.

clinical sounding? well maybe ? but what i really felt clinical sounder was my Diatone DA P7 pre power amp . to the point that i kept it for a week and then gave away . though it was also detailed and articulate . but there wasnt any pleasure and bass . i always had unhappiness.

but with this marantz i dont think ill ever part with it. noooops . it is typically warmer , as marantz are, and has good grammage .and the musical details are more evident.....

but it has not kicked out the MF A1 amp.

ill now play with its pre and power separability options. [;)]

atleast now i have 120 watts of power fed to klipsch for the first time. [:)]

I once ran my RF-5's with a McIntosh 2125 amp @125 watts/channel and it really woke up the speakers. The RF series speakers seem to like more power that the Heritage type speakers. But having said that, I think that the RF series of speakers is better for home theater use and vintage electronics sound better with vintage Heritage speakers. Just my opinion.

In my limited opinion, and not being an owner of a pm6, I will offer this. You may well be experiencing new and different heights with your pm6 that are different than what was there just before your Marantz arrived. You, may well need to be run in( ; to this new experience doing other things instead of listening and comparing to your past setup. Try just listening at low/medium levels while reading or other tasks occupy your mind. You may well still have that epiphany with the pm6. It is all good and well that each model have a different flavor, however slight, or we would just pick a model and our work would be accomplished.

As regards your particular situation, others here are bringing some thought provocative points, that are quite logical. Speakers of the same or near era may well enhance your pleasure. It occured to me early on that you need to use other source besides PC. This happened to me recently while listening to newly acquired KG speakers. When I changed source to CD, I was instantly able to realize all the music range of the speaker was there.

In this article, towards the last, was able to appreciate room size with the tonal controls was built into the design. Thinking now that with a little tweaking, listening, experiencing at different levels, with different speakers(borrowed forte) sources you may come around to appreciate the differences however subtle.

May well grow on you.

Meanwhile, try copy/paste into browser on this link to read a nice description/take on your gem:

http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/July%201981/95/781918/Marantz+PM6+amplifier

Quad, I believe you are being a bit unfair to expect a 1982 Marantz 30 wpc Class A integrated you purchased for $150 to best a Musical Fidelity A1 purchased in 2008 that runs Class A for 35 wpc. I shudder to think of throwing any like product that is 26 years older against an almost new amp that is still under warranty, and built to a slighter better Class A technology we now have.

That said, I have an Esotec PM5, and I find it to be far superior in the looks department, and in pride of ownership, than the MF Class A that visited a year ago. Anywhere stateside, you would be looking at $500 to $700 to get a PM6 in the house here, so consider yourself blessed to have a fully functiong unit from a good friend for a great price.[ip]

sheltie,

1982 Marantz 30 wpc Class A integrated you purchased for $150 to best a Musical Fidelity A1 purchased in 2008

no sheltie, correction here plz. the 30 yr oldy is the pm-6 .and i clearly regard the mf a1 to be sounding better than the 2230 . which as of now is out of the competition .sweet sounding and coloured in a typical marantz fashion.the pm-6 is comparable to MF A1 when its time for neutral natural sound,without much colouration.

the competitor to mf A1 these days is the pm-6 which functions in class A by default too. 2230 doesnot [;)]

That said, I have an Esotec PM5, and I find it to be far superior in the looks department, and in pride of ownership, than the MF Class A that visited a year ago

o boy you have a pm-5 ....?????

ofcourse the looks of marantz are way more impressive, the MF A1 is one heck of a hideous one , but it sounds awesome.

anyways .

i highly regard the looks of the esotec and the 22xxes....

describe your views on that pm-5 plz.how are you using it and with what...

how do you describe its sound ...

Quad, I believe you are being a bit unfair to expect a 1982 Marantz 30 wpc Class A integrated you purchased for $150 to best a Musical Fidelity A1 purchased in 2008 that runs Class A for 35 wpc. I shudder to think of throwing any like product that is 26 years older against an almost new amp that is still under warranty, and built to a slighter better Class A technology we now have.

That said, I have an Esotec PM5, and I find it to be far superior in the looks department, and in pride of ownership, than the MF Class A that visited a year ago. Anywhere stateside, you would be looking at $500 to $700 to get a PM6 in the house here, so consider yourself blessed to have a fully functiong unit from a good friend for a great price.Paradise

I have to disagree with that. I own LaScalas since about ten years and have owned (or tried) quite a few amplifiers in the meantime, vintage and new, from brands as various as SAE, NAD, Musical Fidelity (B1, Typhoon, A100X), Marantz, Revox, Aura, ADC (?), Sansui, Technics, Rotel...

The one that stayed the shortest time in my system after I bought it was, quite surprisingly, the (more expensive) big brother of the MF A1, wich is the MF A100X. It was then just a few years old. The amp that gives me the best sound ever is the one I use now: Technics SE-A5 power amp (Technics no-compromise line from the begin of the 80's). So this 30 years old powerhouse outperforms everything else i've tried so far, including much newer designs. Paired with a great-sounding Kaneda DIY preamp, I guess i would have to spend much, much more to get better results!

I don't believe solid state amplification has evolved so much since the late seventies. Hell, they were already conscious of TIM distortion caused by global negative feedback! I'd say the only "new" amplification technology is class D or T but for the rest a top amp from 30 years ago is still a good amp now. That's my experience anyways (of course not comparing with $$$$$$$$$$ today's high-end)