Does anyone stream netflix?

JasonJCarney

I can't wait for them to figure out a way to improve the audio and video quality on streaming movies. I watched kick-*** the other day because I heard the audio was killer but netflix managed to rain on my parade. Streaming 1080p and BD quality audio is all I ask for from netflix. lol

Dont get me wrong. I like Netflix. I pay the extra couple bucks for BD rentals and those are essentially all I watch for movies. I don't own any BD myself. Does it say in the title somewhere if the audio is 5.1/stereo? I know it tells you if it's HD or not but what about the audio? Not near my PS3 so I can't look for myself.

When I stream Netflix stuff, my receiver gets the codec for Dolby Digital, which is 5.1. This receiver, and Onkyo, displays the little orange digital by the Dolby Pro Logic which means it is getting the Dolby Digital signal.

Look at what your receiver sees.

I see that on my onkyo. However I am wondering if there is a way to know what audio your going to get before you choose to start streaming the movie. That way I can not waste time having to start streaming first and then exiting out and finding a new movie if I see that it's in stereo or something.

Streaming Netflix has been a terrific addition to their original offering. I had some issues with the streaming stopping, upgraded my wireless router to Cisco/Linksys E-3000 about a month ago and resolved all issues. I recently purchased the Emotiva UMC-1 "B model" and it offered the option to preset what audio mode I wanted. As I currently have a pair of Forte II's, I set it to two channel stereo. I am in process of purchasing an Academy center speaker, and will change the setting to include center when I add.

Soon I plan to add a pair of Heresy's to serve as rears and will update again. I might have said that wrong, I currently have a two channel Amp, when I add the five channel AMP the UMC-1 will adjust itself to the additional speakers. Allows me the option to manually set as I choose.

BTW, thank you friends for all your comments and postings that educated me these past several months on home theatres. Especially for referring me to Emotiva. I am very pleased with Emotiva products and support folks. They have treated me the way a good Hi Fi salesperson used to back in the day when their were still family owned and operated retail stores offering advise and quality selections. Not like today's Big Box Stores, with salespeople that come and go, pushing the product of the week to meet their quotas.

I use it too. I wish more of the new movies they release would be in HD. I don't watch movies that I excited to see on there, I save those for Blu Ray. I like it for stuff like stand-up and some of the old 80's movies. Its a cool service though and I imagine it will only get better. If you have kids, its great for them too.

When you "click" on the movie and it bring up the 'play now' option, look to the left/top of the movie/show description. It will have a little box with 'HD' if it will stream in HD and a box that says '5.1' if the program is available in '5.1'.

I got Netflix and turned off my cable.. I have noticed at the first of the month a TON of newer movies and shows were released to Netflix.

**edit: thought I was quoting jason in his post but for some reason, i'm too dumb to figure out how to quote a post.

When you "click" on the movie and it bring up the 'play now' option, look to the left/top of the movie/show description. It will have a little box with 'HD' if it will stream in HD and a box that says '5.1' if the program is available in '5.1'.

I got Netflix and turned off my cable.. I have noticed at the first of the month a TON of newer movies and shows were released to Netflix.

**edit: thought I was quoting jason in his post but for some reason, i'm too dumb to figure out how to quote a post.

After u hit the reply button the text from the message u r replying to will appear in a grey box above your open typing space. Then within that grey box at the bottom is another button u must hit that says "quote".

I got a chance last night to fire up the ps3 and play around with Netflix. I was wasting time pulling up the movie and looking at the "audio options" until I finally saw the little HD and 5.1 boxes. It's a step in the right direction but they have very little content that is both HD and 5.1.... Hopefully that changes soon. I am gonna call or email and voice my thoughts to netflix. Thx. For the help everyone

Can I ask what is the minimum speed of internet connection required to stream 1080P HD?

I have the 'high speed' internet from Charter 18mb down 2mb up - not sure how that compares to others. I will say that the picture is blurry for about the first 15 seconds after I click play, but it's crystal clear from then on. I'm also streaming Netflix on my wireless PS3.

After a quick read on a couple of forums it seems that it is not really possible or easy I should say to stream 1080P. They say it requires 100Mb/sec or better equipment. So a 802.11 router is out of the game. They were talking 11g and a wire connection. No wireless streaming. Plus Cat 6 wiring and some hefty Ram in your PC.

Is anyone doing this?