Got my Emotiva XPA-5 on Friday and.....

madfusker

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say you like your new toy huh?[Y]

Time to get the ole Pioneer on ebay now...

Whatcha going to replace the Pioneer with?

May I suggest a stellar pre/pro like this.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1312768941&/Integra-DTC-9.8-

or this

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1310743113&/Integra-DTC-9.8-Excellent-cond

or this

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1310324924&/Integra-DTC-9.8-price-drop

Bill

I did practically need a crane! My shelf is glass so I had to take some caution there. It's rated for 50lbs and what I did was hang it off the back and slipped a 2x4 on the carpet behind to catch the back feet. That puts right at 42lbs on the front two feet and since it's a long dog it came out just right on the face depth. [:D] Also the front feet are perfectly situated over a metal brace to not stress the glass. I don't have a prepro yet so I am just running 2 channel audio from my laptop. Holy crap though... It can crank. First real amp if you coudn't tell. [8-)]

PrePro: Well, I was thinking about picking up a UMC-1B for $599. I guess talk me out of it! I put most of my $$ into speakers and the XPA5 so I was looking for the best prepro bang for the buck and the UMC looks like it. I am not a complete perfectionist and thought I could live with its minor flaws maybe. I really dont have too much room (or $$) to go crazy on a prepro. I am 5.1 right now and may add one back channel someday, or *maybe* 2 back channels for 7.1 but not in the short term anyway. (So no real need to have a 10.2 or 22.2 prepro is what I am saying).

The Integra: I like that it has HD Radio... Someone tell me about balanced inputs. What would I be missing if I got the unbalanced UMC1?

The Integra/Onkyo prepros are proven performers and are feature rich and reliable. Top of the line Burr Brown DAC's, toroidal transformer, top notch video upscaling and all channel balanced preouts and 2-channel balanced imputs.

Someone tell me about balanced inputs.

Usually a balanced connection(XLR) is better shielded and has a lower noise floor. If the entire chain from source to speaker is not fully balanced, then they really don't offer much advantage.

What would I be missing if I got the unbalanced UMC1?

Not a whole lot except you will not be getting a proven established pre/pro like the Integra/Onkyo's have been. Emotiva may have worked out all the kinks by now so why not go for matching components and get a full warranty.[Y]

Bill

I have been holding off on the UMC since it came out. It's still having issues and that's just not something I'm willing to spend my money on. I'm seriously considering an Integra myself until the XMC or another really nice pre/po hits the market at a decent price.

had a good hunch youd like it, the xpa's really make the 83s come alive, if you add 2 more speakers definitly take a peak at the xpa2

my vote for prepro is still umc then later adding xmc if you need more features or are unhappy, did i mention youll probably upgrade for almost free once the umc is sold and discount is applied :)

my vote for prepro is still umc then later adding xmc if you need more features or are unhappy, did i mention youll probably upgrade for almost free once the umc is sold and discount is applied :)

That is the way i am leaning, though I would bet the UMC1 resale value will drop quite a bit once the XMC hits the market. On a side note, I can also bet the XMC won't hit the market anytime soon. < Joke,, sort of.. :)

i'd say the most notable issue is audio volume consistantcy. Happens here and there, the audio just stays low when it should be higher, its like it doesnt really the volume has changed. Also another thing is audio dropout on movies. Sometimes itll happen staright off the bat after starting a dvd or itll happen after a long pause.

The shutdown issue is gone in my experience, not a single issue.

My only other gripe is with HDMI and thats the industry im disappointed with. The design of HDMI in general is flimsy and easily ruined on both connector and port. Its just not resilliant. Ttry moving around and wigling with an analog connection and it works forever, u accidentally hit an HDMI cable and it could all be over.

I like the UMC-1 because of its simplicity yet complexity of connectors. I like the fact that i can modify the frequency gains, each channel gains, trim levels and input mixture. It is a small learning curve as the directions are ok, they dont really explain how to use functions but rather just explain what they are. For the price and having a dedicated pre/pro its worth the money now that more kinks are worked out and more will be ironed out. Every patch comes out and its the "final" patch. They know there is still work to be done and refined.

Your decision needs to come down to personal patience of waiting, money you want to spend and if you want to wait to see what comes out.

I was recently in the same boat as you and went with the UMC (after trying a used Onkyo - similar to the Integra). Even with the UMC issues, I decided to keep the unit as the sound is really good. It just takes some getting used to, but you'll sleep better with a full warranty for several years and also a 40% off your next purchase discount (got mine in the mail today). It is worth the price... and the matching blue lights in the rack look good.

I did practically need a crane! My shelf is glass so I had to take some caution there. It's rated for 50lbs and what I did was hang it off the back and slipped a 2x4 on the carpet behind to catch the back feet. That puts right at 42lbs on the front two feet and since it's a long dog it came out just right on the face depth. Big Smile Also the front feet are perfectly situated over a metal brace to not stress the glass. I don't have a prepro yet so I am just running 2 channel audio from my laptop. Holy crap though... It can crank. First real amp if you coudn't tell. Roll-eyes

PrePro: Well, I was thinking about picking up a UMC-1B for $599. I guess talk me out of it! I put most of my $$ into speakers and the XPA5 so I was looking for the best prepro bang for the buck and the UMC looks like it. I am not a complete perfectionist and thought I could live with its minor flaws maybe. I really dont have too much room (or $$) to go crazy on a prepro. I am 5.1 right now and may add one back channel someday, or *maybe* 2 back channels for 7.1 but not in the short term anyway. (So no real need to have a 10.2 or 22.2 prepro is what I am saying).

The Integra: I like that it has HD Radio... Someone tell me about balanced inputs. What would I be missing if I got the unbalanced UMC1?

This made me laugh. I got my XPA-5 a few years ago and my bottom glass shelf was rated for around 70 lbs but already had my Panamax on the spot beside where it was going. The shelf deep enough for the XPA-5 to fit so I painted a piece of wood black to hide it and put it between the shelf and the floor to support the beast from underneath! Funny hearing someone else using the same basic ghetto fabulous way to make it work!

I've got the UMC-1 and over all for the price I'm very happy. I've had a few WTF moments where it has done something odd but for the most part I've had no problems with it. It is a great sounding pre/pro and most of the replacements people suggest for it over on the Emo site cost twice as much so I think that says something!!!

and the matching blue lights in the rack look good.

Not a reason to get a UMC-1 for sure but kde is absolutely right!!!

I've got a UMC-1, ERC-1 and a XPA-5 all in line (up and down) on the right side of my HT rack and it looks awesome in a dim lit room watching a movie.

I purchased the UMC-1 "B" model last month, took me 15 minutes to set-up. After reading both the pro's and con's on this forum, I decided to give it a try. Especially when I learned that they have a 30 day look, worse scenario they take it back. My current system, ADCOM Tuner/Pre with a 200 watt AMP, purchased 18 years ago. My wife and I still love it and enjoy with our Forte II speakers.

I decided it was time to upgrade our hardware, especially after visiting a friend who showed off his new home theatre. My ear was not impress with his new system at all, but the concept was of interest.

On this forum I had read about Emotiva and their products, 20+yrs ago we had made the leap to seperates and did not want to go back to an all in one. We have three daugthers, two of which our in college, so cash flow is an ongoing issue.

The "B" model UMC-1 at $599, I believe could be my answer, and it met plus exceeded all my expectations. I found it very easy to use, immediately noticed a big improvement in both the sound, more lively. Plus the picture on our 46" LCD is cleaner and sharper than it was. Only one issue and that was with the remote, I suspect that someone was playing with the buttons for whatever reason (kids). The buttons to pick our BluRay DVD and Cable box were switched, very annoying. Corrected with the easy to use menu to navigate and quickly resolve the problem. An advantage of the "B" model, it was shipped with all the current updates, thankfully I avoid the frustration many of you had expressed. The "B" model case exterior looked brand new, very well packaged, no scratches, their was no signs to suggest that it had been previously used.

Still using my old ADCOM 200 watt AMP, the sound seems sweeter with the UMC-1. Currently awaiting "possible" July 4th Sale that I believe will include the XPA-5. I am confident that the XPA-5 will bring me happily into the 21st century. The waiting is just so hard.

I purchased the UMC-1 "B" model last month, took me 15 minutes to set-up. After reading both the pro's and con's on this forum, I decided to give it a try. Especially when I learned that they have a 30 day look, worse scenario they take it back. My current system, ADCOM Tuner/Pre with a 200 watt AMP, purchased 18 years ago. My wife and I still love it and enjoy with our Forte II speakers.

I decided it was time to upgrade our hardware, especially after visiting a friend who showed off his new home theatre. My ear was not impress with his new system at all, but the concept was of interest.

On this forum I had read about Emotiva and their products, 20+yrs ago we had made the leap to seperates and did not want to go back to an all in one. We have three daugthers, two of which our in college, so cash flow is an ongoing issue.

The "B" model UMC-1 at $599, I believe could be my answer, and it met plus exceeded all my expectations. I found it very easy to use, immediately noticed a big improvement in both the sound, more lively. Plus the picture on our 46" LCD is cleaner and sharper than it was. Only one issue and that was with the remote, I suspect that someone was playing with the buttons for whatever reason (kids). The buttons to pick our BluRay DVD and Cable box were switched, very annoying. Corrected with the easy to use menu to navigate and quickly resolve the problem. An advantage of the "B" model, it was shipped with all the current updates, thankfully I avoid the frustration many of you had expressed. The "B" model case exterior looked brand new, very well packaged, no scratches, their was no signs to suggest that it had been previously used.

Still using my old ADCOM 200 watt AMP, the sound seems sweeter with the UMC-1. Currently awaiting "possible" July 4th Sale that I believe will include the XPA-5. I am confident that the XPA-5 will bring me happily into the 21st century. The waiting is just so hard.

Ha! We should post our XPA-5 weight bearing mods!

I too dislike bright blue lights, but the XPA-5 isn't bad at all. Is the UMC1 a lot brighter?? Is it dimable? I was thinking I could take a cell phone screen protector and "tint" it down with your sharpie idea. [:^)] It might actually work! [*-)]