Got my Emotiva XPA-5 on Friday and.....

madfusker

Is the UMC1 a lot brighter?? Is it dimable?

There is blue light around the five navigation buttons, power button, and volume knob. The display has two rows of blue lettering. It has 10 'levels' of dimming, on down to off. Except for the power button - that stays on all the time.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! We should post our XPA-5 weight bearing mods!

I too dislike bright blue lights, but the XPA-5 isn't bad at all. Is the UMC1 a lot brighter?? Is it dimable? I was thinking I could take a cell phone screen protector and "tint" it down with your sharpie idea. Huh? It might actually work! Confused

My QSC's each have 1 blue power light on front. You can layer the Sharpie over the glass "eye" and darken to taste.

I bought one of the first UMC's ever delivered, been great the whole time.The amps........pretty hard to beat for the price.

It does really seem hard to beat for the price.

As for the sharpies; I've seen a lot of erase boards that can't be cleaned very well. I would opt for a screen protector for a couple bucks myself.

Just installed amps and speakers in my new truck and one of the amps came with a gain level remote that I have wired under the dash by my right knee. Comes in handy when constantly changing music genre. Anywho... the remote has a VERY bright blue led light and even though I have it tucked under the dash, it lights up the entire cab, and it is even noticeable in the day time. I thought about putting a peice of electrical tape over the glass and trimming around with razor. If this doesn't work, I will try the sharpie idea. Thanks for the tip.

After the reviews here on the UMC I decided to order one today. I hope it's not buggy! It will be here Monday...

I went from a Harman Kardon AVR525 to a UMC-1. VERY happy with it!

Very good to hear, I've been using my HK 325 for years so I'm coming from the same sound as you. Nice!

Well, it's ordered (UMC1). I was going to get the $599 B stock before the sale, but then I just waited and got the regular for $629. I figured the extra $30 may help resale value since I don't have to list it as a B stock later (even though after I open the box it is essentially B stock). :) It will probably do what i need for a few years as then the XMC *might* be out and I can evaluate my 40% off for that unit.

I received my UMC-1 in May ("B" model) I am very pleased with it. Only weakness is that the manual is very basic with details. Found I needed to seek help from Emotiva as well as our fellow Klipsch forum members questions occasionally when I became stump either trying to program or something else with the black box. Bottomline, our Video picture improved, pics more vivid, almost looks as if we got a new TV monitor. And the best part is the sound, so clean, warm and grand, wife commented on that immediately. Lastly the ease of going from watching movies/TV to listening to some beautiful sounds from either our CD collection or Pandora (via our Squeezebox). I hope to unpack our turntable soon and enjoy.

Good luck, feel free to PM after you receivse and need any help. BTW my XPA-5 is scheduled to be delivered today!

Jeff,

That XPA-5 is going to blow you away! Thanks for the offer on the help. I am sure I will need it!

-----

So, can anyone recommend what settings works best with the UMC1 and my speaker setup? I know it's all about preference, but surely they has to be a starting point that's easier to start from rather than defaults. Has anyone written a howto UMC1 since the manual is so basic? or just auto calibrate and adjust from there? Someone out there probably has my *exact* same setup and can probably offer some details on what sounds best or how to tune. ?? I'm just looking for the most amount of information I can get before it arrives Wednesday. I would rather spend the time figuring it out now.

run the emoq with mic and make your slight adjustments from there not much else to do, aside from that you can change the slope from 12/24db, mine are at 24 and the surrounds are up 8-10 above center and towers, play around with it and see what you like, within 10-20 mins youll probably have the menu figured out with ease, i looked in the manual once....stupid dim button the remote (great feature unless children play with it and you dont realize it)

• 2 weeks later...

So I have the UMC1 going now and it really seems like the EmoQ sets the voices very sharp. I really wish you could lock the EQ for the front mains together since it's very hard to adjust L and then R individually. Also I wish there were a slot to copy different configurations to. I see EmoQ Auto, Preset 1-3, but I can't see any way to copy one to another. Not much fun to manually setup each one if you just want your last setting plus or minus some bass.

So here are a few questions:

1) How do I select which EmoQ preset to use? I see how I can edit them, but not sure how I put it in that mode.

2) EmoQ pretty much sets the EQ pretty flat and I didn't think it sounded that great. In fact it was distributed almost inverse of how I would set a "Rock" EQ (try to picture more of a hill than a valley). Would anyone with my similar setup post their EQ settings? I tweeked it a little, and last left it here as shown in the pictures below. Surrounds are pretty much still all flat so I didn't post those pictures.

post-41681-13819658281128_thumb.jpg