Chorus I water damage solution

alaya

Hi all,

I am totally new to the forum so greetings first!

I
acquired a pair of 1988 Chorus Is on local CL for $400, the seller has no
idea what exactly there speakers are since he listed "model CHR OO"
instead of "Chorus".

While remain astonished by the acoustic performance, there's something cosmetic that bothers me.

On top of one of the speakers, there is black water stains/molds, and on
the corner, the MDF swelled and sticks out. The seller told me that was
caused by the dripping water in the basement:(

I know MDF doesn't go along with water, any idea I could do to make it look better?

Thanks a bunch!

061620111090.jpg

061620111091.jpg

Welcome to The Forum (If you have not been welcomed yet).

Chorus speakers KICK BUTT. I got to listen to some last year and they were amazing.

In regards to your veneer problem; That is a tough call, and depends how much money and time you are willing to put in.

(You could go cheap and remove the offensive area by sanding; use a wood filler or bondo type material and then after sanding; paint them (nicely and carefully) black. (Not sure how well paint sticks to bondo without primer).

You could also attempt a veneer patch, and try to match the color and grain......

You could go the more expensive route which basically is similar; except after the cabinet is repaired and square; reveneer both to like new condition.

Honestly; it does not look that bad; if they are not lacquer sealed (Should say OO or oiled oak), a good light sanding (careful) and cleaning (murphys oil soap?) and reoiling will improve the large spot ALOT. Maybe then reglue (wood glue) the offensive corner and use weight to get it to seal.......

Others will chime in with some other ideas; some guys have built their own speakers and done complete refurbishments......

You are tapping into a lot of experience.......

Good Luck.

You can go with hand sanding, or a little palm electrice sander (or mouse sander). Just do not go too much. If you are trying to keep the veneer, it is thin. I just know with electric, I sometimes sand too much. Just be careful and pay attention and a palm sander will work. Definitely much knowledge here.

You can go with hand sanding, or a little palm electrice sander (or mouse sander). Just do not go too much. If you are trying to keep the veneer, it is thin. I just know with electric, I sometimes sand too much. Just be careful and pay attention and a palm sander will work. Definitely much knowledge here.

Alaya,

Definitely what he said. If you are keeping the veneer.... BE CAREFUL. I would use a very fine grit and take your time.....

Once you sand too deep, you can't go back.

I recommend trying to clean them first; then sanding after you have cleaned a few times. It might clean up enough where sanding is not necessary.

I believe you can use mineral spirits to open the pores of the wood up. (Flammable, I believe and definitely harmful vapors so do outdoors or with adequate ventilation); then the wood cleaner will be much more effective. I had good luck with murphy's, but others probably know of something even more effective.

Good Luck!

Groomlake has a ton of good advice! Epoxy is a good idea for the MDF repair. The Rot Doctor stuff that Groomlake shows on his link is good stuff. I have had good luck with System 3 and West System epoxies. It is unreal how much wood will suck up that West System epoxy... the wood will just keep sucking it up like a straw as you apply it. Be sure you read carefully about how to handle it safely and use a respirator.

You can sand down excess epoxy but the wood around it will be removed faster so I try to get it as level as possible. Good luck with your repair !

I have a water ring on top of one of my Chorus I's where a previous owner used it as a plant stand. Since they are in my den I don't worry about it and I put some knick-knacks on it. One of these day's I'm going to the local stone place and getting a couple of pieces of granite cut for the tops (they have left over pieces from countertops). I'll put some thin felt under them it and they will look sharp. Plus I can tell "audiophiles" that the weight of the stone helps cut down on cabinet resonance and sweetens the inner detail in the upper octaves and tightens up the bass. : ) I might even get a couple of larger matching slabs cut to set them on.

The cheapest solution is a couple of doilies or decorative end table mats if doilies aren't your style.

Well...how did it turn out? for the stained spot, I have used a cloth over it with iron on top to get the moisture out first, and to get the cloth to absorb that moisture before going the next step. Also, I find that an orbital sander with 220 grit works better than sanding by hand, but the veneer is thin, so careful there.