Finally got it! (RSW-15!)

rennoc442

Well I was finally able to get this beast and I love it!

A question on setting this up, on my old sub I set the crossover on the sub to the highest point to turn it off (bypass the crossover), and used the yammies onboard crossover. Should I follow this theory or am I doing this wrong? Also how far away should the rear active sub be from the wall is ideal?? I dont think the side to wall distance is very important, is it??

IMAG0638.jpg

Well I was finally able to get this beast and I love it!

Kimba,

Way to go. Is that the one from Tampa?

A question on setting this up, on my old sub I set the crossover on the sub to the highest point to turn it off (bypass the crossover), and used the yammies onboard crossover. Should I follow this theory or am I doing this wrong?

Yes, do as you did before. If no way to completely turn off crossover on sub, set to highest frequency.

Also how far away should the rear active sub be from the wall is ideal??

I have my RSW-10d's active driver pulled out from the wall about 10 inches. Maybe the big 15 needs a couple more inches to breath.

I dont think the side to wall distance is very important, is it??

If you are talking corner placement, listen for unwanted boominess. More bass but usually not as accurate as front placement way off side wall.

Bill

Way to go. Is that the one from Tampa?

Yeah boy! Well dude was like a minute from westly chapel! He said he has the grill somewhere, and hopefully he remembers me when he finds it. (20 years from now!)

Yes, do as you did before. If no way to completely turn off crossover on sub, set to highest frequency.

Yah on this sub, there is an acutal switch to bypass the internal crossover.

I have my RSW-10d's active driver pulled out from the wall about 10 inches. Maybe the big 15 needs a couple more inches to breath.

I have it about a foot right now, will play some more tmw!

If you are talking corner placement, listen for unwanted boominess. More bass but usually not as accurate as front placement way off side wall.

Well I meant if I had the rear away from the wall 12", would the side distance matter that much? Its prob like 5" right now.

Kimba

You can spend (alot) more and get a more accurate meter, but thr RS meter is the one that is most widely used for home HT, and the meter SVS recomends and sells. I'ver had great luck with mine along with repeatable results. I even compared it to my engineer friends mega buck meter and it was extremely close. You do have to use a calibration chart when you get to the low stuff however but it's widely available on the web.

So the only spl meter at the shack I see isn't impressive. Starts at 50db and is +/-2db? Not gona be my first option.

It may not be your first option but it's the one most often used by everyone I know.I've never before heard any complaint actually.Oh....Congrats on the 15, a very fine sub I think.

Yea! [:)]

Now I won't feel bad about trying to sell mine locally. [;)]

A question on setting this up, on my old sub
I set the crossover on the sub to the highest point to turn it off
(bypass the crossover), and used the yammies onboard crossover. Should I
follow this theory or am I doing this wrong?

Don't do it that way. The RSW-15 has a lowpass bypass switch on it. Use it. Set it to "Disable (LFE Mode)".

Also how far away should the rear active sub be from
the wall is ideal?? I dont think the side to wall distance is very
important, is it??

How far from the back wall is up to
you. I like 8 - 12" and that is probably what most RSW owners will
recommend. Side wall distance will affect it, too, of course. What you are using
in your picture looks fine. But, basically, with your placement what you
are asking with those questions is how close to the corner should it
be. Experiment. You can aim it diagonally into the corner, too.

Thanks sivadselim, that's a really cool feature!

The only problem I have is the auto on. My old sub 12 would turn on even in the lowest volume settings. But this new sub requires a higher volume/bass to turn on. I guess I can turn up the sub out level on the yammie, then turn down the sub level VIA the side level control.

... But this new sub requires a higher volume/bass to turn on. I guess I can turn up the sub out level on the yammie, then turn down the sub level VIA the side level control.

Congratulations! Fwiw, I had this problem when I first got my RSW-15 and inserting a Y-Adapter increased the signal enough to click on at lower volume.

One way to get in the ballpark for good placement (I have tried and this works) is to put the sub at your seated listening position.

Now; with music (and sub) playing; walk slowly around the room. The places where the sub sounds strongest/ hits hardest is a great start for placement of your sub. (Every room has peaks and valleys because of deflection; room size and such).....

Tweak from there......

Good Luck.

The only problem I have is the auto on. My old sub 12 would turn on even in the lowest volume settings. But this new sub requires a higher volume/bass to turn on. I guess I can turn up the sub out level on the yammie, then turn down the sub level VIA the side level control.

I leave mine ON all the time. Never been an issue for 7+ years, now. There is no real advantage to using the Auto-ON feature. It doesn't actually turn off the sub's amp.