JBL L 36 Speakers "Decade" Series

Ironsave

I just found these at the "Goodwill Store". $6.99 per speaker.

The woofer surrounds will be replaced soon (once they arrive).

They are a solid 8.5 to 9; a few small scratches that will sand out easily.

I have done an A-B comparison with my Heresy Is.

The JBLs hold their own. They are brighter and not as detailed in the mids; but these puppies thump; even with rotted surrounds!

These will be 2 channel speakers I believe. (Possibly in the bedroom).

I am interested if anyone has experience with these; and what your thoughts are......

post-14727-138196585563_thumb.jpg

While I don't have experience with that particular model JBL, I have owned several different JBL speakers over the years...

Coming in second to Klipsch as my favorite speakers that I have personally owned, I love JBL speakers, and you made a great score IMO, congrats!! [H][Y]

Neat!! Once you have the surrounds replaced (the dreaded vintage JBL disease....), they will sound pretty good. JBL's need to be placed at least 24" off the floor, corners are good. It's a pain, but when the woofers are out, remove the other drivers and get inside with some "contact cleaner" and some "fader lube" and clean those pots. Best position for the "pots" is straight up to start with, then adjust for your room. Also clean the driver lead clips to the drivers with de-oxit.

[H]

Groom; thanks for the service advice. (Will do!).

Tubes; thanks also; and you too Rick.

My dream has always been to find some Klipsch at a thrift store; etc.

Let me tell you; this comes close!

(I will get some makeshift stands for the bedroom).

I need receiver advice..... I would like a (cheap but quality) 2 channel receiver......

(Thinking of the zone 2 option on the HK; but that does little for the bedroom setup; pc; etc).....

Pardon my ramblings......

Thanks again.

Hey Ironsave, great score!

I don't know what you definition of "Cheap" is, but have you seen this 2 channel receiver from Outlaw Audio?

2150Per.jpg

Here is the Link -------> CLICK HERE It is $699 and has all the Bells and Whistles and is a great deal IMHO!

It is no secret that the gestation process for this product was a
long one, but that is due to the fact that, perhaps more than any of our
other products, the RR 2150 has truly been a labor of love. With over
ninety man-years in product design and over one hundred two-channel
products among us, the Outlaw team working on this product would accept
nothing less than perfection.

•State-of-the-art stereo receiver inspired by the art deco table radios of the past

•High performance FM Stereo/FM/AM tuner

•Multiple inputs with separate record output bus

•USB input for playback of streaming audio output from compatible computers

•High quality phono input for both moving magnet and moving coil cartridges

•Processor/equalizer loop

•The only stereo receiver with a subwoofer output that includes selectable, analog bass management

•Front
panel "speaker equalization" selector adds a half-octave of bass boost
at a choice of frequencies to improve performance with compact bookshelf
speakers

•Headphone jack with level control

•Front panel stereo mini-jack input for easy connection to portable devices such as iPod®

•Tone control defeat

•Precision, motorized volume control

•A/B Speaker Output

•Pre-Out/Main-In connections

•IR In/Out jacks

•Removable IEC style power cord

•Multi-device, programmable remote control

Dennie [Y]

Dennie,

That Outlaw piece looks killer.

Unfortunately, my definition of cheap = used and under $100.

I am thinking strictly 2 channel; perhaps from the late 70s- 80s/ possibly early 90s.

I am seeing lots on CL by NAD; and MCS; even some pioneer and marantz ($200 aand under).

Ideally; I think an HK 2 channel receiver would be the safest bet for me.......

Thanks again!

With tax it was $15.40 something.

You are right; Illinois and Chicago taxes suck.

In this case; I think I got a steal......

These trump the KG2s, and easily rival the KG 2.5s I have loved so dearly and even the KG 3s.....

I think it boils down to 2 way versus 3 way........

It may be Heresy saying this; but JBL was in competition and doing their best to attack the same goal from another angle.

Heresy Is still rule; but these are reasonably close........

(80% of Heresy sound for ~$40 (after surrounds)..... yep.... a steal).

The "Decade" series started out as a two way system the L-25 Prima (1972). This system was housed in a dense plastic extruded enclosure that was very '60s looking. Shortly after the L-26 came out. This was the same speaker as the L-25, but in a more traditional enclosure. I always prefered the sound of the L-25 over the L-26.

Congrats on finding the L-36 at such a great price.

page01.jpg

Way to go great score there Matt. I had a pair of JBL L110s, also made in the 70's and they were very nice sounding speakers. I re-foamed mine and my son took them down to college. I sold them last summer for $300 mainly because I had no room for them and my wife wanted me to get rid of some of my speakers. At the time they were the oldest pair of speakers I owned so they where put on the chopping block. Enjoy your nice new CHEAP speakers.

My younger son has a pair of L46 speakers that he had a college. Uses an H/K430 with them. They've been working fine for him. They aren't horns, but for smaller rooms, they work great. They make wonderful desktop speakers. [;)]

Bruce

Cliff; thanks for the response. I am thinking an HK 2 channel will be the way to go in the bedroom....... (I am actively searching).

My younger son has a pair of L46 speakers that he had a college. Uses an H/K430 with them. They've been working fine for him. They aren't horns, but for smaller rooms, they work great. They make wonderful desktop speakers. Wink

Bruce

Marvel; they will almost be just that. (32" flat screen with pc connected; they will be fun for 2 channel in the bedroom). [:D]

Do not count out a used Marantz if the price is right or even some old Kenwood's like the KA series very good receivers in my humble opinion.

I have seen many Marantz on CL but they want $175 and up.

I will add Kenwood to the search! Thanks.

I do not wish to spend more than $75-$100......

If I am spending $150 on a used receiver; I would rather just buy a new HK 2 channel 3490 for $250....

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I am around the burbs of Chicago too...

I just gave away a nice pair of Sony Speakers, becasuse I was moving and did not want them to be trashed.

However, I kept my Mom's JBL Decades, as they mean a lot to me, as these were her pair back in the day. Anyway the surronds are completely rotted away, and I bought a new pair, however there is no glue or anything (I think I lost the instructions), can anyone show me how to refoam them?

thanks!