Can I do better than this 42" Panasonic plasma for $430?

fini

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason, Mrs. fini wants me to screw the cable tighter into the old tv to see if that improves the picture. Hmm...

Bwahahahaha..... That made me spill soda on my shirt......

Take Mrs. Fini to the store and show her how great a cooking channel or QVC will look on this new tv.

that is hilarious, i had to reread it twice to fully appreciate it and understand it

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=E2LG42PW350

BuyDig has 42" LG 42PW350 720p 3D Ready Plasma HDTV + Two 3D Glasses + v1.4 3D HDMI Cable for $715 - $216 code 3DSHOWEXCLUSIVE = $499. Shipping is $20. Thanks brisar

Specs

• Resolution: 1024x768
  • Refresh Rate: 600Hz
  • Contrast Ratio: 3,000,000:1
  • Inputs
    • 3x HDMI
    • 2x Component
    • 1x Composite
    • 1x RF
    • 1x PC Input
    • 1x USB

found this on slickdeals, this is probably the closest price/preformance to what you found at costco

has 3 hdmi and offers 3:3 pulldown not to mention 3d if thats a selling point or not to you

• Moderators

For some reason, Mrs. fini wants me to screw the cable tighter into the old tv to see if that improves the picture. Hmm...

That's because she don't really care about the picture, she is so distracted when your in there she don't care about the picture quality ! [:o] [;)]

$20 more for 1080p doesn't sound like a waste to me. As for the brand? Well, I have 3 lesser brand televisions, and they all work great and look good with good source. The 2 32"'ers in my basement are "Spectre" brand and they look great with Hi-Def sources. If this 42" TV your buying is going to be displaying BluRays or PS3 games I would opt for the 1080p for the same reason people opt for thicker speaker wire with shorter runs...peace of mind.

$20 more for 1080p doesn't sound like a waste to me. As for the brand? Well, I have 3 lesser brand televisions, and they all work great and look good with good source. The 2 32"'ers in my basement are "Spectre" brand and they look great with Hi-Def sources. If this 42" TV your buying is going to be displaying BluRays or PS3 games I would opt for the 1080p for the same reason people opt for thicker speaker wire with shorter runs...peace of mind.

Westinghouse versus Panasonic.....

The same argument about speaker wire and peace of mind applies to the brand.

I have a 32" Dynex LCD in the bedroom; so far so good. I know various people who use this brand. (I paid $140, so it was a no brainer).

I know someone who owned a Westinghouse....... It lasted 2 months. He had issues getting it resolved in a timely manner.

Once it was finally resolved.... He sold it for a $200 loss, and bought a Samsung.

I'd like to believe that their quality is improving....

In 2-4 years when we are (probably) ready for our next flat tv; I will consider the brand in research.

(I am all for US jobs).....

Isn't Vizio the other top US manufacturer?

Edit: Nope.

And looks like the majority of panels (The LCDs themselves) are made in other countries.

Oh well, at least Westinghouse provides assembly jobs......

Isn't Vizio the other top US manufacturer?

Vizio has offices in the US but not manufacturing, Vizio's major partner in the consumer electronics is AmTran Technology,, a Taiwan-based OEM/ODM that manufactures more than half of the televisions sold by Vizio and also has a large stake in the ownership of Vizio.

By buying the tv at my local Costco, I'm supporting sales jobs in my city, as well as sending my sales tax revenue (whatever percentage) to the city coffers. A thought.

I'm sure with some basic hand tool skills, a sheet of glass and some lefover xenon and neon gasses you could probably build your own. We've all heard the old saying...If you can assemble pre-fab furniture, you can build your own plasma panel.

If you go this route, don't forget the pics!

• Moderators

I'm sure with some basic hand tool skills, a sheet of glass and some lefover xenon and neon gasses you could probably build your own. We've all heard the old saying...If you can assemble pre-fab furniture, you can build your own plasma panel.

[:o]

WOW that's different, sounds like your kind of not normal..........I like it. [Y] You fit in perfect. [H]

Welcome

Where I live sales tax goes to the state not the city. But supporting walmart is probably not the greatest move either. Lol

Ha Ha!... LOL. I guess it is the choice of the lesser of the 2 (or 20) evils..... [:D]

Yeah; Brunt.... You will like this Forum..... You will definitely fit in with us Idiots A**es.... [:D]

Welcome my Friend.....

If you go this route, don't forget the pics!

Any chance I could substitute methane for xenon and neon gasses? I just made some writing this post.