Klipsch La Scala Help...

soleful247

Hi, I just picked these LS from CL over the weekend.

They are being powered by a Yamaha CR 420 receiver and NAD 1020 amp.

They sound amazing low.. but the higher it gets, the loss in quality shows.

Is there any suggestions on what I should use to power these speakers. Or is my equipment fine and I should change the caps/crossovers?

Posted Image

Replacing caps will help. Specifically, I noticed that adding a polycarbonate bypass filter smoothed out the upper end.

However, if that photo is any indication of the rest of the room, I would say you have alot of horn in a highly reflective environment. :) I would get some treatments up and a rug. Tame down the room. Also, running Audyssey in my room helped the LaScalas alot.

A few ideas.

I really like the sound of 1970s Yamaha gear with Klipsch speakers but you might have a bit of a double whammy going on. Unless you have had the CR-420 worked on it could use its caps replaced, and probably the same goes for the La Scalas. I have a "refreshed" CR-2020 that sounds amazing with my K-horns, and a CA-1010 that is in need of refreshing and the difference is very noticeable. Address those two and I think you should be pleased with the result.

Is there any suggestions on what I should use to power these speakers.

If you are trying to listen exclusively to digital sources, then the Panasonic SA-XR series are your LaSacla's best friend. There's an SA-XR50 on eBay right now.

...and a big +1 to what tragusa3 was saying about the room. You need a throw rug at a minimum. A hardwood floor between the listener and a LaScala is going to sound tough at anything above peaceful levels.

Thanks for all the help. Also, would it be okay to have a glass made to size for the top of the speakers? I just want to protect the top of them as much as possible.

I've got glass tops on both of mine. Just be sure you use some of those super thin felt type dots between the glass top and speaker.

It really is hard to say but I would say both may be the problem. Lascalas can get pretty incisive with less the stellar gear driving them. The crossiver being updated coupled with poor gear can make matters worse. In the end both is usually the case. The crossovers will rarely make the speakers overly bright as they age. They usually cause a sound similar to putting a blanket over the horns from the losses in the old caps.

It really is hard to say but I would say both may be the problem. Lascalas can get pretty incisive with less the stellar gear driving them. The crossiver being updated coupled with poor gear can make matters worse. In the end both is usually the case. The crossovers will rarely make the speakers overly bright as they age. They usually cause a sound similar to putting a blanket over the horns from the losses in the old caps.

That was exactly my experience. I replaced the crossovers and the speakers came to life and the bass is like nothing I've heard before. That wasn't the case with the original crossovers.

Dennie