Just about stole some speakers this weekend. A great reason to finally join!

Hello Folks, Yes this is going to be a short tip toe into the deep end of the pool. I've been reading the forum since December trembling behind the curtain for lack of equipment to talk about. Now I have achieved my goal set forth when I inherited my parents Carver equipment. It is the beautiful, IMHO, Carver M-4.0t amp, CT-Seven preamp, and at the time, the better of the available cd player units, the DL-3220,all in the rack mount bluish brushed aluminum face. Now here's where I think the larceny took place and you folk can be the judge, and please excuse the infusion of humor, that's just the way I operate. I purchase a one owner pair of Forte II sparkers, which the owner had professionally Converted to black, great condition, lightly used; an Academy center channel, pristine cond.; a pair of little JBL Arc speakers, and an unused, still wrapped in plastic klipsch Sub8 for the overwhelming price of...wait for it...$;( we'll come back to that! It blew my mind. I went there thinking maybe he inherited it and just didn't know what he had, but he said he went to th store along time ago in Colorado and bought them new for his home theater and didn't have the room any more. He had just purchased a smaller new Klipsch set up and was happy to see it go to another Klipsch fan. I wanted to hug him. I contemplated telling him what the Academy sells for online, much less the Forte II, usually in much worse condition. OK...I left you wanting. I've foreshadowed a bit, but I depend on you folks to keep me ground in facts, so I will ask for feedback before I reveal the answer. All I ask is that you cut this newbie a bit of slack and let me know what I have and should have paid based on your experience in the market, and I'll figure out if I need to return to Craigslist for a small sword to perform sepuku in my garage among my speakers. Thanks in advance for the help and I promise to reveal withou fanfare following the reply posts. I know the JBL's and Sub8 are just filler, but it's the two channel and center I am excited about! Thank for enduring this novel of a post! Carver Klipchin (yes I know it's misspelled, it was available & witty)

I purchase a one owner pair of Forte II sparkers

Aren't those the White Van version?

Wink

Yeah, I fell for those also.....but I got a HECK of a deal! [:$]

Sparkers! I should have known better! banghead.gif

Welcome to the forum Carver Klipchin.

Dennie

So were you wearing a mask when you took possession of those Chorus speakers, I can't imagine a fast get away on foot carrying the two? Thanks for the welcome. My plan is for a two channel only system, so I may be parting with the Academy and this Sub8. I need the funds to get a decent turntable and get it up and working. I have a record collection spanning two generations that haven't seen day light in thirty years. Any advice out there for a good DIY capable audionut to get and ynker with? I'm familiar with thorsen, and I've used a fisher whit good results, but I want something I can keep going for the next generation to play with.

Welcome to The Forum.

Fortes go for ~$350-$550 (maybe more if mint).

Academy gets ~$300 consistantly.

The JBL and Sub 8 are filler as you said.

I would bet a great deal was had.....

I just recently acquired some JBL L 36s and just today an HK 430 "Twin Powered".

I encourage you to post more; humor keeps the soul young and this place has a great bunch of people.

Please do reveal your paid price.......

Enjoy!

PS. Post pics! We LOVE pics!

Welcome to the Klipach forums. I love my Forte IIs driven by Carver TFM amps. If $600 is the price you did good, great even but you did not steal them. Free k-horns and $50 cornwalls are not the norm but have happened to forum members in the past. You can figure you got the Forte/Academy at a fair price and the rest for free. Not sure why you were not willing to post the price in the OP.[:^)] If your gonna brag about a good deal in the tile give us the gory details.

Honestly, I was not sure about the "good" quality of the deal, so before I was forced to swallow my own leg up to my knee, I wanted to ask folks with more experience than me, what a good price was. In this case I purchased the forte II's, the academy, the sub 8,(which is new and never even plugged in), and the JBL Arc speakers for $500. He through in the mounting brackets and documentation. They are in great condition, with one ding on the corner of a Forte. He was the original owner. Based on the feedback, I feel sure I found a great deal. Once I get everything set up and running, I'll snap so pictures and post then. Thanks for the welcome and for tolerating the dramatic newbie moments. See you out there!

Nice! I have seen Academys once upon a time when demand was high and availability low go for $500. I think you did just fine. Time to hit the thrift stores and find tube equipment for 20 bucks...now those are deals.

I should mention, an 8" sub is not a sub. It is more of a bass box and will probably add more MUD and Boom than anything else.

I don't know of an 8" driver that can produce sub-sonic frequencies. Years ago, I picked up a Def Tech 8" "Sub" and thought it added to the HT experience. Until I added a real sub, by SVS. Boy was I wrong about the 8" driver. As soon as I disconnected it, the sound from the speakers cleared up and I didn't even realize how much "MUD" the 8" driver was adding.

I sold the Def Tech for $50 and was glad it was gone. It took away more than it added.

Just my experience,

Dennie

Well, if I were to part with anything, it would be the academy. I looking to run a straight two channel system. I am hunting a vintage turntable to dig out some old records and see how they sound on the Carver and the Fortes IIs. Let me know if you find any tube amps strapped to a unicorns hind end looking to part with it for $20. I'll take two, and a pic of the unicorn for my daughter;)

Thanks for the input Dennie. I feel the same way, which is why I have searching high and low for the Fortes. Based on all I've read in this and other forums, the Fortes and apparently the chorus speakers seem to hive the best bang for the buck. Before I get a huge helping of posts to argue the point I will concede that taste and hearing are in the ears of the beholder and I would of course love to stack khorns to the roof or integrate them into a remodel of a man cave, but the possibility of that is less likely that would get a ticket in the HOV lane for going too fast with too few passengers on the back of a purple unicorn, but I digress. For the punt of money spent and the type of listening I plan to do, the Fortes fill the cup until it runneth over. What I love is the high and mid range use of horns. That's why I came, and that's why I'll stay. To me everything else is gravy and I only have one biscuit. I will find someone looking to liven up their HT set up, or some dorm room kid with the need to wake up the neighbors throughout the building. Mean while the smooth clear sound of happiness will pervade the serenity I call man cave.

Yea, by page two and no pix we are all starting to doubt it happened. [;)] Don't get rid of that Academy just yet. Make sue you will never want a HT. The Academy is the correct center for FIIs and they are hard to come by. If it were me, I'd keep it in a closet for a couple of years till you are darn sure you don't want it.

• 3 months later...

I would bet that those forte II sound great with a Carver M-4.0t. I have been looking to getting a 4.0t sometime. I love the 1.5ts that I have. And i know that the M-4.0t is supposed to sound like the silver sevens.

If you like the M-1.5(t) with high sensitivity klipsch, I'd put dollars to donuts that you'd love the M-1.0t.

Back when I worked for Carver (I have two pair of Cornwall II stacked) I auditioned the M-1.5t, M-1.0t and M-4.0t. To my ears, the 1.5 was too harsh, the 4.0 too syrupy, the M-1.0t 'just right'

I do like the sound of the M-1.0t. It sounds great. But I prefer the 1.5. I would love to try the 4.0. Now I have a A-753 for three Heresys, and an A-760x which my dad has hooked up to the Chorus IIs. I have not heard it yet, but am excited. I do love the carver-klipsch sound. Most would say harsh, but in the right room, perfect match. I need to get some KLF-20 or 30s and match them with some carver amps to see what i can get out of it.