Re-vamping system after 20+ years - request advice

30blows

After 20+ years I am re-vamping my system (mostly so my children can listen to several thousand beautiful records). The source material is 90% vinyl - mostly jazz, blues, and classical, but also rock-n-roll, Indian music, folk, etc.. The old system is no longer so musical. I'm pretty sure this is because the speakers have deteriorated (Energy 22 speakers - about $1,000 when they were new). The plan for now is to purchase a used pair of klipschorns and use the following vintage equipment:

* Thorens TD-318 (with a new cartridge - not sure which yet)

* Nakamichi PA-5 amplifier and CA-5 pre-amp

I would welcome any response to several questions:

1. Is the Nakamich amp/pre-amp combination a good match for klipschorn speakers? If not, then what is a good choice (in the $1000 range)?

2. What years/makes of klipschorns are a good choice (or should be explicitly avoided)?

3. Any suggestions for a new cartridge for the Thorens? Is this turntable an adequate source for making the most of the klipschorns (if not then what?)?

4. Any suggestions for a CD source for this system (in the $500 range)?

5. Any suggestions for speaker cable or interconnects?

The CA-5/PA-5 combination was fairly well regarded although some people felt that the sound was a bit brittle and "solid state" sounding (typical of many designs from that era). K-horns are one of the most revealing speakers around and will make you very aware of any deficiencies in the equipment used with them. So, the only way to know if the sound is what you're looking for is to try it yourself and draw your own conclusions. Cambridge Audio and Marantz both offer CD players in the $500 price range. Their products have received many favorable reviews and comments. Buy one from a dealer which offers a return privilege just in case you are not satisfied. For speaker cables up to 15-20 feet in length I prefer old fashioned #16 lamp cord which you can get at your local Home Depot among other places. Interconnect cables can be anything decent and inexpensive. You will be given many different opinions on these last 2 points! Ultimately, you will need to do your own experimentation based on how much you want to spend.

• Moderators

Edit, someone beet me to it. [Y]

Welcome

I can't help much but a pair of Klipschorns is a great start, I would try the Nakamichi first, I don't do vinyl anymore so no help there but others will help.

I wouldn't worry much about cable or interconnects much at first as long as it's good quality, http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp is one place for wire/interconnects.

As far as a Cd Oppo is one brand but there are many. You will get alot of ideas as others read this.

The setup your thinking about would sound great, one small question, do you have two corners for the Khorns, they really need them, of false corners you could make.

Good luck, your going to be up to your neck in musical sound, you will be in for a very good surprise. [Y]

Thank you for your quick replies. The listening room is 14'x24'. The wall behind the speakers does have an archway leading to another small room. The archway is off-center, leaving about 2' of wall on the left and 7' or more on the right.

This may well affect the sound - but I cannot know yet. You all have some experience with klipschorns, so if this room will not work, please let me know.

Thank you for your quick replies. The listening room is 14'x24'. The wall behind the speakers does have an archway leading to another small room. The archway is off-center, leaving about 2' of wall on the left and 7' or more on the right. This may well affect the sound - but I cannot know yet. You all have some experience with klipschorns, so if this room will not work, please let me know.

You will be fine with that size room. Mine is 14'X22' and I am very happy with the sound. Believe it or not the furniture can affect the sound in that room bigtime! I had to find out the hard way.

• Moderators

I would think that would work, if it affects the sound I would guess it would be very little. I don't have klipschorns myself but I asked because they just don't do well pulled out from the corner. Your going to be in for a treat, your going to look like this. [:D]

Thank you for your quick replies. The listening room is 14'x24'. The wall behind the speakers does have an archway leading to another small room. The archway is off-center, leaving about 2' of wall on the left and 7' or more on the right.

This may well affect the sound - but I cannot know yet. You all have some experience with klipschorns, so if this room will not work, please let me know.

Is the speaker wall the 24' wall? 14 is not a lot...

2' from the corner to the opening? That"s not enough to fit a Klipschorn, is it?

I have the Nakamichi combo you speak of and have used them with my Klipschorns. While they are not a bad match, there are better options. If musicality is what you are after (great goal!), you will be halfway there with the Klipschorn choice. I'd suggest you look into tube amplifiers to complete the other half. You should be able to find a decent match in your price range, even if you have to go integrated.

The Thorens T/T is a keep and research your cartridge to match. I suggest recording your records onto a Computer Network Attached Storage (NAS) via a good quality Digital to Analog Converter (DAC). Your CD's can also be recorded onto your NAS via your computer. Then you can play everything back via the DAC with ease and simplicity. This solution requires a greater budget component for a superior DAC which will become your source for everything except your video.