Klipsch Forte

jwash

Pretty much like all speakers.

If possible, take an amp and audio source with you so you don't have to depend on the seller for this. You may not need what you brought but it only will help you if the seller does not have anything to drive them with. Bring music you are familiar with, a good full range piece to hear all 3 speakers working.

Look that the cabs are in good shape, visual marks take away from value, how much is up to you.

Make sure each speaker is working, while playing, hold your ear up to each one or use a toilet paper tube over your ear to isolate each speaker to hear them working. Listen for buzzes or crackles.

Look at the grills and passives, these are out of production and while Klipsch will have some parts in stock, other parts like the grills etc will only be available if someone is parting out their speakers or you make them yourself.

Push them hard when you take the test listen if you can (but not into overdriving the speakers or distortion) I found flaws in the pair of KG 5.5s I bought for my son that way, the glue had come loose on the cab and the backs started to rattle. This gave me a price reduction as they need repair. The fix was simple, open them up, take out the drivers and insulation, glue corner blocks inside the cabs in all the corners to add renforcement and reassemble after the glue was dry.

You likely will want to replace the tweet dia with Bob Crties Ti units, they make a BIG difference! The crossovers and caps will probably need to be freshened up also but they should sound good as they are. If they are not properly positioned by a wall, the passive driver in the back won't add much but when properly setup, the Fort'e is one hard rockin speaker. I have a pair of F1s with old Xovers and Ti tweets and they sound GREAT

Hey guys I will try post piks later, but I have the chance of getting some Forte's in oiled walnut. The gentleman says that they are mint with no marks but is asking 575.Is this the an ok price. .I feel like its an epray price in a way.

Thanks, and sorry for Hijacking, but it kind of relates to the main question.

I paid $450 for my black painted Fort'es in about a 8 condition around 7 years ago.

Mint Fort'es, in OW to my way of thinking are worth $575 but I have not looked to buy for many years and I am out of the price currency.

Then again, I paid $500 for my OO Cornwall IIs in a 9.9 condition, delivered about 4 years ago and that was a pretty darn good deal, nearly droolworthy at the time.

Hey guys I will try post piks later, but I have the chance of getting some Forte's in oiled walnut. The gentleman says that they are mint with no marks but is asking 575.Is this the an ok price. .I feel like its an epray price in a way.

Thanks, and sorry for Hijacking, but it kind of relates to the main question.

The walnut is more rare, unless I'm mistaken, but $575 is pretty rich. I'd check 'em out, but haggle a bit if I were you. Are they stock, or have they been upgraded?

I paid $425 for mint oiled oak forte's earlier this year. Sold a pair of oak clr in about 6-7/10 for $325 at that time.

Denti and venaka- The prices I listed were for bone stock forte ii's. If any of the speakers you're each considering contain upgrades, they may yet be a decent deal. Figure low $400 range for mint cabs, refinished or not, but otherwise stock; add for whatever has been done (typically sonicaps in the crossover and Crites tweeter diaphragms...a full blown Crites crossover w/ new autoformers and everything costs $300 or so, so be sure to have the seller fully disclose what has been done to them).

I paid 400 for stock Fortes (not II's). Mint, Walnut. Didn't have the nerve to try and haggle with him as they were perfect, with all original boxes, papers etc. Just like buying them from the store!

All that being said, I think that 575 is a bit rich. I base that on two years of watching them on here, Craigslist, eBay and other web sites.

Where are the guys looking for Fortes located? I may be looking to get rid of my OO Forte IIs in outstanding condition. If you are anywhere near Ohio, drop me a PM and we can discuss price. I would be willig to let mine go for under $575, that is for sure.

Wow, you drive a tank!?

I love my Outback, thing really is a tank. It prefers snow over asphalt, dirt over gravel. A necessity in NE Ohio! Plus, it gets right at about 32mpg, an added bonus!

Good luck w/ your purchase, let us know how it goes.