budget receiver advice for reference home theater

enhanced250

For $500, you could get a lot.

It depends what you need though. (Does it have to be HDMI?)

Many recent posts of Pioneer going from $300 and up. I just got a Harman Kardon AVR 7300 a few weeks ago.

It is stunning! (But; no HDMI).

Look for Onkyo; HK, Pioneer; and even a newer (more powerful) Yamaha unit.

If your current receiver has pre outs; you could go separates; but I will leave that to someone who has done so.....

Good Luck.

I would like hdmi for the true hd audio and such....i would like to keep it all in one also.

My receiver now is 140wpc so its been hard to find a receiver close to that in my price range. I was look at onkyo but the more research i do jt looks like they only put put about 50%denon of their claim.

I have my used Denon AVR-2311 for sale. If you want to check out my add in the Garage Sale section. The only downside is it is only HDMI 1.3, so no 3D video. If 3D isn't your thing though, it could work out for you.

I is a great receiver, I would still be using it, but I upgraded to the Denon 4810. [:D]

Ill look into that yamaha some more....I have a yamaha now and love it, its just time for an upgrade.

My main concerns for a new receiver are 120wpc @8ohms or better.

Ability to bi-amp the mains

Hdmi 1.3 at least

New AV processing ie TrueHD audio DTSHD etc

Some sort of room correction software ie. Audessy

Thanks for the offer on the Denon...looking for a receiver with alittle more power.

If getting from 50W to 120W (with otherwise similar features) adds several hundred dollars to the price in a manufacturer's line-u, as it usually does, then get the cheaper lower-powered (only 4 dB less) and compensate with an external power amp if you find you really need the power. The external amp will last you for several receiver upgrades. I am still using one I bought 30 years ago!

• Moderators

My main concerns for a new receiver are 120wpc @8ohms or better.

FWIW, you will not be able to hear the difference between a 100 wpc and a 140 wpc receiver. You have to double the power to obtain a 3db gain in volume.

The Yamaha RX-V1800 is 130 wpc, can biamp the front using two of the rear channels, HDMI 1.3 (3 in, 1 out), Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD and DTS-HD Master and YPAO room correction software.

Thanks for the info! I guess Ill ask $375 and go from there I have the remote, mic manual etc and its in excellent condition.

Ill have to pick the pass up with this receiver searching in the mean time. So far I have the Yamha 1800 on my radar any others you guys recommend?

Hdmi 1.3 at least New AV processing ie TrueHD audio DTSHD

Just curious why you need HDMI 1.3? Most blu-ray players have built in decoders already. What player do you currently have? I'd take a serious look at a Yamaha RX-V2700 (140 wpc, ipod connectivity, networking etc..) Only HDMI 1.2, but if your player can decode TrueHD etc.., your set. You can find them used for around $350-400. Marantz is also a good choice if you can find a SR-8001 ( HDMI 1.2) in your price range.