NAD T955 or Emotiva XPA-5????

Brunt

I'm sorry for the newbish tone to this thread but I have focused my amp search on these two amps.

Here is my setup: RF-62ii, RC-3, RS-3 surrounds. My uses are 80% Movies 20% gaming and my room size is 21'x12'x8'

I know Emotiva runs sales a few times a year but I missed the July 4th one, but as of right now the XPA-5 is $899 and the NAD I can get for $699 at a local dealer. Used is always an option, but as of right now, I'm still finding Emo's that are a bit more than the NAD when you factor in shipping. This will be my first multi channel amp and as of right now I have 3 Audiosource 100's bridged powering my front stage. The Audiosource's have to go and I want 5 channels because eventually I will go 7 channel and I only want my Onkyo RC-180 to run two channels due to excessive heat, etc.

Here is where I want your input. How will the 100 watts per channel difference (100x5 for the NAD 200x5 Emotiva) show itself, if at all? I just don't want to have buyer's remorse because I "settled" for less power. There are not many reviews out there for the NAD so I'm looking for input here because so far my threads here are yielding MUCH better results than surfing for reviews.

Normally, I wouldn't even think this was a competition, but I have found a few threads out there with about 50% of posters recommending NAD...which I found surprising.

I won't be moving for a long time and my mains are new and the surrounds are new to me. If I upgrade anything in the near future it would be the center channel to a RC-62ii. I hear great things about the Emotiva amps but at the end of the day I like spending less if I can. I also like the idea, and I know it can be overrated, of getting in the car and driving across town to pick up a piece of gear or return it. I have been annoyed dealing with ID companies before.

Thanks for any input guys...

Well, thats just it. I was looking for input on the NAD and it's power only because I'm not 100% sold on the Emo. I hear they are great amps, but $200 is still $200. Honestly, I probably will just wait and see if they have a sale around Christmas time.

Well, thats just it. I was looking for input on the NAD and it's power only because I'm not 100% sold on the Emo. I hear they are great amps, but $200 is still $200. Honestly, I probably will just wait and see if they have a sale around Christmas time.

Emo resale value says it all. They sell for almost what they
cost new. In fact I could probably sell mine and make a few bucks (bought mine
in dec 2010 new for $707 to my door before they raised the prices). You already
saw what you get when you buy junk (no offense)

Emo resale value says it all. They sell for almost what they

cost new. In fact I could probably sell mine and make a few bucks (bought mine

in dec 2010 new for $707 to my door before they raised the prices). You already

saw what you get when you buy junk (no offense)

Well, I wouldn't call the NAD junk...I'd call my custom sealed 15" junk! lol Anyway...I hear what you're saying, think I'll wait for Emo sale just you don't call my stuff junk again.

Oddly, I hooked one Audiosource amp up to my Klipsch speakers in my business in stereo mode and the sounded good and had no sound whatsoever when powering up or down...VERY strange.

NAD makes great amps. I had a NAD 925THX(125w/ch) 5-channel amp that seemed much more powerful than it's specs. Sold it to Jeff Tubbs on the forum for him to power his RF-7's and he said the NAD didn't miss a beat. I can guarantee you the NAD T955 will bench higher than the mfr's published spec's. My NAD T773 receiver with "only" 110w/ch(all channels driven) could run my system with no problem but it sure is nice having multiple 200w/ch amps to provide the extra headroom and added detail.

On the other hand, you just may get the upgrade bug because you would have bought an amp with "only" 100w/ch(all channels driven). Be patient, save your $$$ and wait on the XPA-5 or look for a killer deal on a more powerful used multichannel amp. The deals are out there.

Brunt, where are you located? I will keep my eyes open for something in your area.

Bill

2 things I'd like to say here. 1. Don't let eD cloud your judgement on Emotiva. They do give u a 5 year warranty. 2. There is a used XPA-5 for sale on AVS for like $700 shipped. That's cheaper than the NAD after you figure the tax. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Yeah, just saw that, but the guy doesn't seem to know his tweeter from his crossover at this point. That price gives me hope though...One silly question that is actually important to me because of where the Emo will sit in my setup. CAn you dim or turn off the blue lights?

best part of emo beside the budget and quality is that warranty as mentioned, pretty easy to buy used with a transferable warranty like that, ive had marantz ma500s that look to spec out a little higher than that nad and i would take the emo amps over them in a heartbeat

my suggestion is be patient and see if you can find one local or wait for a good deal if necessary, thats not a bad price for 700 shipped on avs if you can land that one (these are heavy)

also keep an eye on emotiva forum section emporium(selling section) they just had a xpa5 for 625 sell and have one listed for 650 that i see as well

I can vouch for XPA-5. It is very substantial amp and it's 200Wpc rating is very conservative,

as it is measured when all 5 channels are driven at full power. It has quite a big form factor (quite

tall and deep), but it helps it to stay relatively cool during operation. The blue light on power button

is too bright for watching movies in the dark room, but there are ways around it, it gives chance

for you to show your creativity hehe.. Fully transferable 5 year warranty helps too. With this,

You are very likely to not need another multichannel amp in a long time. Fairly neutral and decent

sounding for music playback too, plenty of headroom.