New Jubs on the Block

RRFL

My wife hates the look of the huge horn. I thought about trying to see if I could make a way to make them look better but not sure other than transparent versions.

I've not directly asked her but I think my wife would say the only way these things could look better to her is after taking an ice pick to her eyes.

I on the other hand, enjoy everything about them.

Prior to me getting them, I told her that if she wanted to paint them pink, paint flowers on them, paint cherubs on them.... I'd not care.

She never did that. What I found interesting were the times I'd have something catchy playing on them and she'd be in the middle of the floor with one of the small dogs either in her arms or the larger dogs paws in her hands (dog standing) and she'd be dancing with said dog, singing the song.

Makes me wonder if the ice pick routine was more for drama. I'll ask her when she gets back from eye surgery.

[^o)]

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife hates the look of the huge horn. I thought about trying to see if I could make a way to make them look better but not sure other than transparent versions.

I've not directly asked her but I think my wife would say the only way these things could look better to her is after taking an ice pick to her eyes.

I on the other hand, enjoy everything about them.

Prior to me getting them, I told her that if she wanted to paint them pink, paint flowers on them, paint cherubs on them.... I'd not care.

She never did that. What I found interesting were the times I'd have something catchy playing on them and she'd be in the middle of the floor with one of the small dogs either in her arms or the larger dogs paws in her hands (dog standing) and she'd be dancing with said dog, singing the song.

Makes me wonder if the ice pick routine was more for drama. I'll ask her when she gets back from eye surgery.

Hmm

I'm not sure about the pink flowers[8-)]

I like this

post-45280-13819663580464_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

That looks great. Although the size of these beasts would also look like a designer fridge I wonder if my wife would like this more.

Easy problem to fix. Tell the wife you want these(not the little one), give it time, then after a while tell her you will settle for the smaller Jubs if it makes her happy because your thinking of her in this choice. [H] [Y]

post-11804-13819663596734_thumb.jpg

This is actually a valid and proven psychological means of manipulating a persons perspective, it's called "anchoring".

And don't think that it's not used on all of us every day, because it is.

Back to normally scheduled programming.

That looks great. Although the size of these beasts would also look like a designer fridge I wonder if my wife would like this more.

Easy problem to fix. Tell the wife you want these(not the little one), give it time, then after a while tell her you will settle for the smaller Jubs if it makes her happy because your thinking of her in this choice. CoolYes

Easy problem to fix. Tell the wife you want these(not the little one), give it time, then after a while tell her you will settle for the smaller Jubs if it makes her happy because your thinking of her in this choice. CoolYes

They are awesome the colour match to the floor is fantastic. That photo really shows how well they work in a room.

Maybe you could get a powerful projector to create a plywood appearance to the 402's.

The 402's are quite a versatile little speaker.[:D] Suitable for LaScala, Jubilee and MWM.

Emmmm That means Men need 3 personal rooms so there is no stress due to wondering what the other combination would sound like with a particular piece of music.

You know just for when you need to compare just that one track when your mates just happen to come over.[H]

• Moderators

Thanks, I don't remember what color the floor is, the speakers were made from Red Oak and stained to match the cabinet thing around the Tv and the french doors to the left which were both the same wood. My wife, daughter and I like it, MWM/402 was there idea from the beginning, and I offered to make grills for the bass bins and Oak trim with grills for the 402, but they like them like that, so until they change there mind they will stay like that. I don't care as long as I can hear them. [Y] The room is 24' wide and 18' deep to that pole behind the sofa.

post-11804-13819663609834_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

No center channel for those, just 2 CH, It really don't need one, sitting on the sofa you would bet that forte above the Tv was playing.

The 6 forte's are for multi channel stuff. I do find myself listening to everything except movies in 2 CH, it just sounds better.

Thanks, I don't remember what color the floor is, the speakers were made from Red Oak and stained to match the cabinet thing around the Tv and the french doors to the left which were both the same wood. My wife, daughter and I like it, MWM/402 was there idea from the beginning, and I offered to make grills for the bass bins and Oak trim with grills for the 402, but they like them like that, so until they change there mind they will stay like that. I don't care as long as I can hear them. Yes The room is 24' wide and 18' deep to that pole behind the sofa.

<p>That would be such my favuorite room of rooms.

<p> I could set my Fender Rhodes 88 in there with my Memory Moog and just order pizza forever.

<p> Right now I'm listening to Billy Cobham Red Baron again. I'm in full retro mode today.

<p> One of the contributing considerations in getting the LaScala was that a Rhodes running on Solid State had to had massive headroom to keep up with a guitar as there is a +40dB high frequency, attack spike every time you strike a key. The valves in my Fender Twin Reverb would take care of it as the matched speakers for the Rhodes were a pair of the satelight and they were twin reverbs in different cases. The spike would have the transistors crackle really bad as they clipped.

<p>My bedroom will be my music room for my piano etc with the LaScala. Your room would be my absolute dream room. I'm looking forward to taking the piano downstairs and listening through the jubs. I do have a 2 stage filter preamp on the Rhodes now to round off and reduce the spike. The head technical engineer from Roland Australia many years ago shhh 70's put my piano on his ociliscope and designed the filter amp on the spot for me. He was a genious resolved the issue maintained the sound texture.

What center channel are you using?

I almost wanted to build those beasts until I saw how big they were and how little amount of room I have. 942-4/Jubilee is about as big as I can go. But someday I will have my other room to compare tracks.:D

<p>How about this little bookshelf speaker combo I poped together earlier today, lol.

<p>This could be the for runner to a pair of matching KPT-KHJ-LF since you can't fit a pair of KPT-MWM-LF.

<p>IMO put horns under your horns for the best match. I think a sealed LF is closer to a horn than a reflex. I really like The KPT-684 but prefer the speed from my LaScala over the extended bass responce. I would expect the KPT-415-LF would be awesome though the KPT-684-LF would go lower and work better in a corner.

<p>I was using a pair of 684's last night with 2 pairs of KP-362's for a live band mix. The 684's were driven by 1,240watts each.

post-45280-13819663665994_thumb.jpg

I can't resist, I'm listening to Billy Cobham Red Baron and the neighbours won't mind a bit of stick from my LaScala, I hope, since it's 8:00pm Saturday night, lol.

<p>Yes I know they are like toys compared to MWM/402, lol.[:P]

I'm looking forward to taking the piano downstairs and listening through the jubs.

I guess if you move things like the jubs around, you won't mind hauling the Fender... I wish I still had mine. [:(]

Gotta love dtel and Christy's room. The kind of place I would spend most of my time.

Bruce

have you tried putting the horns of the Heresy speakers toward the centre? that position will have less cancelation compared to what you have shown in your picture. looks really good buy the way and ought to make a good centre though you would likely be better off disconnecting the mid and tweeter horns on the Heresy. For other folks though who wanted a great Heritage centre which could really kick some them running a pair of Heresy as a combined centre would be a great way to go with plenty of wide dispersion. good thinking. love to hear a pair of those big beautiful horns you have there. best regards moray james.

I'm looking forward to taking the piano downstairs and listening through the jubs.

I guess if you move things like the jubs around, you won't mind hauling the Fender... I wish I still had mine. Sad

Gotta love dtel and Christy's room. The kind of place I would spend most of my time.

Bruce

Their room is remarkable and has that tranquil vibe.

I get requests to buy Rhodes from time to time and the answer is always no. The last was about 3 weeks ago when I had a friend help me to move the 2 amps for my jubs upstairs, they weight 150lbs each.

I could never let my Rhodes go. It is very special for me.

This is my third Rhodes Stage 88 as the first two were faulty and replaced under warranty in the first year. I think I got extra special treatment as when I went into the shop to test the piano before I bought it I played Dave Brubeck Blue Rondo A La Turk. I remember the sales staff at the "Fender Sound House" store said if I could play that on a Rhodes then it was the piano for me.

On the second occasion as it was almost at the end of the warranty they sent me over to see the Rhodes Piano service expert "Ian Devulder" and he then had Fender replace it as the keys were not cut with the guides hole on the centre. Ian organised with the warehouse for me to inspect a number of new pianos and select one where the guide holes in each key were in the centre of each key and I went through 4 pianos before making my selection. Then I took the piano back to the Ian and he took it completely apart then sanded each key, sprayed each guide with teflon and embedded graphite into the felt pads at the ends of the keys. He transformed the touch from 12 ounce to the 2 ounce touch of a grand piano. He had little weights and would hold them just touching the key and then let them go. Then he would take the key out sand it imbed more graphite adjust the tine, etc. A tremendous amount of work but the result was impeccable.

My Rhodes is in mint condition. When I went to pick up the piano from Ian he had not finished the work as he was taking care of the white Steinway Rod Stewart was to play on his first Australian Tour (1977) at that time and was required to be on site at all times Rod Stewart might turn up. Ian asked me to play the piano so he could observe my technique and touch requesting I did not hurt my fingers on the uneven keys as he had not height adjusted them. Then just for me he suggested the tines be adjusted very close to the pick ups so I could get the accent dynamics with a very light touch. While this made it more of a challenge as the difference between the bell sound and the burrrr has less finger weight difference this would prevent the tines from going out of tune and breaking. I have never let anyone else play it for this reason. I actually prefer it's touch to the Yamaha C5 at work.

I have always been astonished that I received such an extraordinary level of service from people who were dealing with major pop stars. I was just a standard 21 year old vanilla customer no one special. Those memories are extremely warm.

It's also in my thoughts that I walked past that store today and it's now a supermarket that is currently closed for renovations..

have you tried putting the horns of the Heresy speakers toward the centre? that position will have less cancelation compared to what you have shown in your picture. looks really good buy the way and ought to make a good centre though you would likely be better off disconnecting the mid and tweeter horns on the Heresy. For other folks though who wanted a great Heritage centre which could really kick some them running a pair of Heresy as a combined centre would be a great way to go with plenty of wide dispersion. good thinking. love to hear a pair of those big beautiful horns you have there. best regards moray james.

I did this today as a thought for visual impact. They are chunky. They are actually resting on top of the cardboard carton my Jub is in. The "Juberesy" lol, concept is a 2 way Heresy upgrade configuration using the 2 Heresy as dual 12inch woofers for the 402 as the HF. So 4 Heresy and 2 402's would be required to make a stereo pair. Imagine a set for 5.1. Unique and with large room so you were 8 feet away from the 402's and a Tuba HT for all the lows and LFE it would probably be awesome.

I think it would be a classic look and a real conversation piece. Bi-amping with a pair of 200watt/channel amps one amp for each channel were my thoughts so the Heresy woofers could be connected directly to the rear terminal blocks and the existing horns can remain as is.

Yeah I like the look of dual 12`s beneath the 402 makes me think of a pair of Westlake`s I saw a long time ago or some of the old time Altec studio monitors. Wonder if you have considereda frame of wood to damp the outside edge of the 402 mouth? Seems like it might be susceptable to vibration. Just a thought I don`t have any idea if it would make a difference. Best regards Moray James.