New A/V Receiver... Denon v Marantz

Magneto_Plasmoid

Hey all,

Well it didn't take long, but the upgrade bug has bitten again:) After much debate and consideration I've managed to narrow it down to these two receivers to replace my old Marantz SR5004 that powers my F-30s, C-20, S-2s and Sub-12.

Denon AVR-4311

http://tiny.cc/aqljx

or

Marantz SR7005

http://tiny.cc/fcx3k

I know the audyssey program is a little more advanced on the Denon and it has a little more WPC, but I've heard so many good things about the Marantz and, I know alot of people debate if receiver brands have an individual sound, but I've always preferred the Marantz sound. Though I'm open to persuasion, so if anybody has heard both these receivers or had any experience in the past, please let me know your personal opinions:)

Cheers,

I have not heard a Marantz but I have heard great things about them. I have however heard lot's of Denon's and even own one and I can say I do not like Denon at all. Very thin in the bass, not musical from my experience.

I am a Denon owner and also own Marantz amps. I actually love my Denon, but the Marantz amps have a bit of a brighter, crisper sound to them. I would love to get my hands on that 4311 Denon, since it is the step up version of mine. I work for Magnolia, and from a selling point, Denon is like a catch all receiver. They are good for movies, and good for music. Pioneer Elite muscles all the other receivers out with movies, but Marantz has the best sound for music. I just did a side my side comparison with a customer the other day with a Pioneer Elite VSX-52 and a Marantz SR6006 I think it was. Both were 110wps. For movies with five channels running, the Marantz had a pretty big power drop off, were the Elite stayed strong and seemed to reflect its advertised specs a lot more accurately with all five channels driven. However, for music, the Marantz was brighter, more detailed and imaged a lot better than the Elite. I know you are comparing Denon and Marantz, but just an observation.

I have not heard a Marantz but I have heard great things about them. I have however heard lot's of Denon's and even own one and I can say I do not like Denon at all. Very thin in the bass, not musical from my experience.

Now Marantz is just as bad or worse than Denon in my opinion, what a shame.......

Denon and Marantz have been owned by the same company (D&M Holdings) since 2002...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%26M_Holdings

From what I have read on various forums, in the last couple of years both brands essentially share the same internals nowadays, and should sound the same. I have read many times that the Denon AVR-3312 and Marantz SR7005 are pretty much the same receiver with different faceplates...

To the OP, you are correct that between the Denon 4311 and the Marantz 7005 the Denon has a more advanced version of Audyssey, which may make a difference depending on your speakers/room, etc...