Source makes a huge difference

Beechnut

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Kraftwerke IS compressed. I placed it in the compactor myself and saw to it. I takes up MUCH less room than before.Devil

I had no intention of ragging on der Kraftwerke Partei. ........

Dave

Iffin you are going to diss them at least get the name right, it is Kraftwerk.

[H][:P]

Oh and 100% correct with the compressed junk, kill it with fire!!!

I get a kick out of the "digital crowd" when they get in a heated arguement over the different sampling rates and compression techniques et al.

It seems much simpler to keep everything analog, since that's what our ears are, after all.

I just said that to piss everyone off.

I get a kick out of the "digital crowd" when they get in a heated arguement over the different sampling rates and compression techniques et al.

It seems much simpler to keep everything analog, since that's what our ears are, after all.

I just said that to piss everyone off.

Doesn't piss me off. I know of no pure analog recording technology capable of being delivered to us without compression, unless the dynamic range is quite limited. Further, it cannot be delivered by LP without RIAA EQ...something the audiophile eschews when it comes in the form of a tone control.

The only way to approach digital dynamic range and noise floor is via DBX or similar 2:1 compansion or post by dynamic range enhancement on the fly.

DBX discs came too late, but if you've ever heard one they can sound every bit as good as the finest digital in the low noise and natural dynamic range areas.

Dave

DBX discs came too late, but if you've ever heard one they can sound every bit as good as the finest digital in the low noise and natural dynamic range areas.

I have a bunch of DBX records and the DBX decoder still lying around. They are very quiet and dynamic, on a par with CD. However there is a real problem with this methodology when applied to LPs. The type of noise reduction used on DBX records expands gain on playback above a non adjustable threshold and reduces gain below that threshold. I was playing a new record loudly when the needle hit a scratch and I heard it go POW. There went both K77s. Small pops and ticks get supressed, but deeper scratches get amplified, possibly damaging your equipment. No such problem with DBX encoded tapes though.

Dead on, DR. Wish someone would build a modern stand-alone impulse noise reduction system. Today's algorithms could identify a pop like that easily and replace it on the fly with a half of before and a half of after to fill the gap, if not perfectly, then certainly preferably to enduring the double amplitude flaw.

Such a high tech DBX decoder would be easy and cheap today. At the time, some reasonably usable but hardly transparent impulse noise reduction systems were developed using early 'bucket brigade" IC delay lines for the process.

Ancient technology easily surpassed today, but it is too late.

I DO still have hope for the "touch free" turntable should the right entrepreuer get interested. I think there is an adequate, if niche, market for it. The very nature of such a device makes building in an impulse noise elimination circuit easy.

Dave

...either way, this one has it's place in time [Trans Europe Express].

Very good album. I started with Electric Cafe (being an early teen at that time) and worked backward. Radioactivity sucked me in as well.

I have mixed feelings about compressed music. I use MP3s alot in the car and for parties at home (the almighty random is great). I don't consider it evil, but don't want it to squelch eveything else.

Nothing beats playing uncompressed and becoming the music. It's just that casual listening seems to be 'the norm'. Sitting down and actually listening to music is happening less and less. That is evil.

I'm not really against digital formats, per se. I think the technology is still young, even though it has come a long way since the "redbook" CD's. I can only imagine how well an analog source could sound if we were to put as much time and effort into that format. A touchless LP playback system would seem to be fairly feasable to me, with so many benefits over what we have now.

I know digital storage is a strong point over analog sources, even though I still like that tactile feeling of an old vinyl record jacket. I can't get that warm and fuzzy feeling handling a memory card or hard disk.

I can only imagine how well an analog source could sound if we were to put as much time and effort into that format.

An analog source isn't the problem, it's the analog gain structure during playback that presents the lion share of problems. Keeping it clean, undistorted, and driver-friendly from one side of an amplifier to the other is PFM.