rs42 vs 52 vs 62

JasonJCarney

Can anyone compare and contrast these surrounds? I decided on surrounds vs bookselves for my side speakers but now I have to decide on size. Probably can't go wrong with the 62's.... but wondering iof anyone has any personal experience with 2 or more sized surrounds I listed here. I can get the rs42's for $225 where the rs62's are gonna be closer to $700-$800. So is the big difference in price worth it? Is there a noticible difference in sound? I'll be able to send 110 watts to the side surrounds BTW

I don't have experience with those particular WDST speakers, but have with the previous RS-3 vs RS-7. The latter fills a large room considerably better but in a smaller room, adjusting the gain in the AVR made the RS-3s work quite well and I didn't notice any ill effects when using them with RB-75s/RC-7 in the Bedroom. That being said, I prefer running towers as my side surrounds with RB-75s in the back and converting 5.1 to 7.1 with discrete sound coming towards me from 4 speakers, instead of away from me using 2. YMMV and it depends on your room and budget.

I don't have experience with those particular WDST speakers, but have with the previous RS-3 vs RS-7. The latter fills a large room considerably better but in a smaller room, adjusting the gain in the AVR made the RS-3s work quite well and I didn't notice any ill effects when using them with RB-75s/RC-7 in the Bedroom. That being said, I prefer running towers as my side surrounds with RB-75s in the back and converting 5.1 to 7.1 with discrete sound coming towards me from 4 speakers, instead of away from me using 2. YMMV and it depends on your room and budget.

How come your running the rs-7's if you dont prefer them? I have never listened to true surround speakers before so I am wondering what to expect as well. thx

had rs52s before my rs62s, small differences, 62s are a little more efficient, play lower and just sound a little bit better

if you cant swing 62s or dont want to youll likely be happy enough with 52s

my choice would also hinge a bit on the other speakers being used in the system and im not sure i saw what else you were planning on using

Can anyone compare and contrast these surrounds? I decided on surrounds vs bookselves for my side speakers but now I have to decide on size. Probably can't go wrong with the 62's.... but wondering iof anyone has any personal experience with 2 or more sized surrounds I listed here. I can get the rs42's for $225 where the rs62's are gonna be closer to $700-$800. So is the big difference in price worth it? Is there a noticible difference in sound? I'll be able to send 110 watts to the side surrounds BTW

Why the change JJC? I was in favor of you adding the RS series a month or so ago, but with your placement, I could certainly see the usefullness in just having BS speakers. Either way, you've gone through about 4 full Klipsch system upgrades in the past 6-9 months, so if you are going to get RS speakers, get the 62s! No reason to half-a$$ it and upgrade in 60 days.

How come your running the rs-7's if you dont prefer them? I have never listened to true surround speakers before so I am wondering what to expect as well. thx

I have the RF-3s as side surround "A" and use them in conjunction with my RB-75s in the rear...The RS-7s are "B" surrounds that I rarely ever use (anymore) but may in a future setup. Fwiw, in our 5.1 HTs in the bedroom we use the RS-3s and in our Workout room we have RS-7s, that both work great because we have multiple LPs in those locations.

I ran RS42s at one point in time with my RF63s and RC64. The only reason was because I got a deal on them for $300. They left a little to be desired. For the price you are gonna pay for the RS62s, I would get floorstanders for surrounds like I have. I use my RF62s and they work like a charm.

If my room ended behind my couch, therefore not allowing space for future second row, my rs3's would be RB-somethings. That's not what you asked though I'll give an opinion and be on my way...I would think rs52 would be really good in your setup. I can't really see you wanting to upgrade from them more than you questioning the $$ spents on the 62's.

Why the change JJC? I was in favor of you adding the RS series a month or so ago, but with your placement, I could certainly see the usefullness in just having BS speakers. Either way, you've gone through about 4 full Klipsch system upgrades in the past 6-9 months, so if you are going to get RS speakers, get the 62s! No reason to half-a$$ it and upgrade in 60 days.

Whoever scoops up those sloppy seconds will sure have a nice little system.

Well upgraditis has got a hold on me....cough cough I can't stop now cough! In all seriousness these would be to replace my Klipsch HD300 mini satelites not my polk bookshelves. I have had the HD300's a while now basically in the wrong spot. I just added another cabinetin the rear of my room and now have the space to add a "true" rear surround channel or channel's. So book shelfs would work as well as the RS line. The placement would be directly behind my seating position so I was thinking about giving the RS a whirl. My side surrounds still have to be bookshelf style due to a stairwell placement issue. I'll take some shots and post sop you know what Im talking about.

Whoever scoops up those sloppy seconds will sure have a nice little system.

Actually I could use just 1 channel as rear surround if I went with an RS unit and I think it would work nice. 6.1 style...old school!!!

... Actually I could use just 1 channel as rear surround if I went with an RS unit and I think it would work nice. 6.1 style...old school!!!

Even in the "old school" days it was found having 2 speakers in the rear was better than having one to recreate (or create) 6.1. Evidently having one speaker in the back can cause the illusion that the sound is coming from in front of you. Fwiw, I would put a pair of the RB models back there as recommended by THX.

... Actually I could use just 1 channel as rear surround if I went with an RS unit and I think it would work nice. 6.1 style...old school!!!

Even in the "old school" days it was found having 2 speakers in the rear was better than having one to recreate (or create) 6.1. Evidently having one speaker in the back can cause the illusion that the sound is coming from in front of you. Fwiw, I would put a pair of the RB models back there as recommended by THX.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

I was always under the impression that 7 channels would be better than 6.... but I recently went to a 6 channel line up and actually liked it alot. Now to be fair my original 7 channel system was not placed ideally.... but I think I would be perfectly happy (with my room constriants) in 6 channel mode.