Cornscala or klipschorn or La Scala

SonicSeeker

The long answer is it depends. Read the "klipshorns -Ugh" thread to read up on some of the drawbacks of Khorns.

Cornscalas and la scalas can be placed anywhere in the room, which is a plus. Khorns pretty much have to be in the corners to sound the best. Khorns are also massive, and need a large vehicle to transport, and likely need to be taken apart.

I think a well built cornscala could almost keep up with a Khorn and you wouldn't have to worry about room placement or dissambling to move.

The long answer is it depends. Read the "klipshorns -Ugh" thread to read up on some of the drawbacks of Khorns.

Cornscalas and la scalas can be placed anywhere in the room, which is a plus. Khorns pretty much have to be in the corners to sound the best. Khorns are also massive, and need a large vehicle to transport, and likely need to be taken apart.

I think a well built cornscala could almost keep up with a Khorn and you wouldn't have to worry about room placement or dissambling to move.

All interesting points, but saying taken apart could be misunderstood: Klipschorns split into two main parts by first unscrewing the bass bin speaker wire from the easily accessible crossover and removing two wing nuts. The side grills can be removed with two wing nuts each.

As for Khorns are also massive, I find that once tucked into a corner they take up less space than toed-in La Scala and less premium space than speakers that need to be several feet away from walls. If you have the spaced out corners, they are the better choice.

I have all three and I would be happy if I had to live with any single pair. They all have been modified with replacement mid horns, new crossover networks and new tweeters. They all benefited from the modifications. But the cornscalas benefited the most.

I have rotated them in and out of my room and the cornscalas seem to stay the longest. The lascalas have the best mid bass. The khorn is the best overall speaker but my room does not allow them to be their best. The cornscala has the best overall balance in my room. The mid base can be a slightly muddy in comparison but that does not detract from the overall balance and listening ease. They also seem to perform better at lower volumes for me. Good luck with your new speakers.

• Like 1

A good friend got me into klipsch speakers. Luckily I have heard almost all of the heritage line in his living room including the belles. In his room, which is a close to perfect khorn room by the way, the belles are squarely between the khorns and lascalas for me. They have most of the impact and mid base of the lascala but they do not go quite as low or as big as the khorns. The final horn effect of using the walls is grand in the right room, Unfortunately my room is not the right room.

The belles are also tougher to find, at least for me.

The hybrid Big Ole Horn created by marrying the vented front
driver woofer of the Cornwall with the large mid-range horn of the LaScala resolves
two problems:

• The lack of deep bass
    (below 40-Hz) in both the Belles and the LaScala models
  • The smaller soundstage,
    imaging, clarity and sharpness of the Cornwalls

The Cornwalls, the Cornscalas probably have a tipped up mid-bass (80 to 100-Hz)
common in many high end, full range speakers, just as the recent B&W
Diamonds. This is nice for modern music and movies.

Corner placement does get the Khorns out of the way, reducing
their footprint to half the area a conventional floor standing speaker needs, but
they are still big. Despite their awkward size and need for corner placement, the
Khorns have deeper bass than many full-range speakers (30-Hz). This is
wonderful for realistic, natural and orchestral
music. But it is a smooth, flat and accurate
deep frequency response often criticized as being too lean.

I am a bass loving man. In addition to passive bi-amping of my
15 inch Khorn bass bins with a 48-pound solid-state amp, I also have a very
deep bass sub-woofer with dual equalizers controls to add bass below 30-Hz. For
movies, I simply dial up more sub.

I think the Cornwall has by far the best combination of size, ease of placement, sound and cost. I'm not sure why there is any inherent reason to go with the Cornscala design. The Cornwalls are a proven quantity and you're forced to become a speaker engineer by trial and error with the Cornscala.

I've had LaScalas in the past in both commercial and home systems. They are capable of very high outputs but the bass will not please you once you've heard the Cornwalls, which do it with a cabinet half the size. That bass punch and projection is usefull in commercial installations but at lower home listening levels I think the Cornwall bass system excels. The LaScala is, unfortunately, difficult to place in a room because of the size, and frankly a rather ugly speaker. Think of the Bell Klipsch as a beautified LaScala, and if you're considering LaScalas I'd suggest you consider Belle's instead.

Klipschorns are expensive, very difficult to set up and balance, and because they must plug into a corner, room size and placement seems to have a great effect. After comparing my Khorns, Cornwalls, and JBL Summits (similar to Cornwalls) I have to rate them in order of best to worst- Summit, Cornwall, Khorns. I think with some work I'll get the Khorns better, but right now I listen to the JBL's most of the time.

Everything everyone here has said is 100% valid and it's all about compromise according to what's most important for each person. I congratulate everyone for providing all these considerations. Now consider a pair of LaScala directly infront of a pair of Khorns time aligned so the benefit of the LaScala mid bass combined with the Khorn extended bass. Then a pair of Cornwall which actually means Corner or Wall placement as centre then 4 Heresy as inner and outer rear surrounds. A Tuba 60 for the LFE and you have a BB Heritage 9.1. i.e. Before Belle=BB.

To add something more I attach part of the Klipsch owners manual that came with my magnificent LaScala's back in 1976 and I will never part with the LaScala even though I now have a pair of Jubs.

The corner placement increases the effective size of all speakers and is something to strive for in every case. I did it with a pair of Yamaha NS-10M,s for a friend who had only $1,000 to spend and back in the 80's we got him a 15 w/ch receiver T/T and Cassette Deck. At his first party everyone was astonished at the microscopic speakers sitting in the corners of the room and how huge they sounded.

post-45280-13819661723924_thumb.jpg

It's hard to beat the sound of a pair of La Scalas with a good sub. They'll work in nearly any room and sound really clear, with very little distortion, even at high volume.

As well, there's always the option of upgrading them to JubScalas. That's my right-hand JubScala in my avatar. That takes the sound quality to a whole new level. Belles can be upgraded in the same way, and a few forum members have done just that.

The Belles sound similar, look better, and make a better TV stand, so I have one of those for a centre in my system. PWF's first wife Belle complained about the looks of the La Scala he was using as a centre, so he designed the Belle to please her, and even named it after her. It seems like nearly every guy with a woman in the house has to deal with WAF, even the audio design giants.

As for the looks of the La Scalas, as I and other LS owners have often pointed out, the black ones start to look smaller over time, becoming part of the landscape of the room.