The joys of running bi-amped...

Quiet_Hollow

55 dB SPL just loafing along with some quiet evening jazz, and yet, I can pick out every little nuance. All the while, no sound makes it beyond the living room. I really enjoy that no matter how low I set the volume, the La Scalas and sub can still completely resolve the music from top to bottom. Anyone else enjoy über-subtle levels with their systems from time to time?

55 dB SPL just loafing along with some quiet evening jazz, and yet, I can pick out every little nuance. All the while, no sound makes it beyond the living room. I really enjoy that no matter how low I set the volume, the La Scalas and sub can still completely resolve the music from top to bottom. Anyone else enjoy über-subtle levels with their systems from time to time?

Sometime I enjoy very low music but, it is not often. I like to feel the music, that's why I have big horns!!!

jay

Yes, I do every night as I sleep with my LaScala playing "whatever" all night. This is one of the superb features of the LaScala. At these extreme low volumes the distortion is extreme low and my class A Yamaha B2x operates as single ended. I have tweaked down the gain on the B2x to get the matching C2a preamp working hard enough to get into it's lowest distortion region. In my opinion, this is a massive advantage of the LaScala and you can tweak the bass on the preamp up a touch just like adding something extra when cooking. The LaScala maintain the dynamics and for me it's like sipping a fine wine.

It isn't just La Scalas which allow an incredibly satisfying low level listening experience, and biamping is not necessary either. For years I have advocated low level near-field listening as a wonderful way to become totally immersed in the music. It has the advantage of eliminating many, if not most, of the room response effects which can cause blurring of the sound and poor imaging; and, with careful speaker and listener placement, can allow a 180 degree soundstage of amazing depth. The ability to close one's eyes and actually be able to place vocalists and instruments in such a wide soundstage is simply wonderful! In addition, listening at low levels keeps the distortion of the speakers and amps (particularly SETs) driving them at very low levels as mentioned above. I use RF-15s and generally listen in the low to mid 60db range with peaks very rarely exceeding 70db. In spite of the small size and limited low frequency response of the speakers I still get very usable and subjectively strong bass output down to 40 Hz (which is low enough for me!). People experiencing this type of listening for the first time are usually amazed (even more so because I prefer to demonstrate this with only 1-2 watts/channel- tubes only, of course).

Alone, I listen at volume levels I feel. However, when I get a visitor, I want to be able to converse, so I drop the volume to levels at which we can hear eachother without raising our voices above our normal talking levels. Incredibly, the finish of the sound the Lascalas produce are every bit as legible as at those levels I could "feel" previously. Indeed, it is an experience most do not enjoy.

Lastly, before I had La Scalas, I actually couldn't understand many of the lyrics. Now, they come through loud and clear, 30 years later!!!

• Moderators

There aint nothimg like listening at 105db. It works kinda like a ventalator helping to push air in and out of your lungs ! Party!!!

I rather 80-90, but your right, although l have a problem with a china cabinet and a few other things vibrating badly, have to fix it one day, somehow.

I do listen really low sometimes, and yes it's bi-amped and active crossover.