RF-7 ll

A1UC

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a "Trick" question, isn't it..... tappingfoot.gif

Can you be a little more specific?

You know the saying "Garbage in, Garbage out". What are you listening too, in what size room, through what gear, etc...? Are you the first owner?

There are so many factors, but that being said, to answer your question, Maybe! Your RF-7 II's should not sound like garbage, but it might not be your ears. Tell us more about the "situation" and we'll try to help.

Dennie

Yes I am the org owner , I listen to them in stereo mode along with

2x VTF-15H Subs . As for the room its smaller 20x14

Im using a Integra 50.2 and a XPA-3 and listen to classic rock

I dont know if this info is enough

How do they sound without the Subs playing? If these are new to you, I would recommed listening to them without the (BIG Ol') Subs. So you can hear the speakers alone. Then, do they still sound like "garbage"? How about listening with some acoustic music, like the "Eagles, Hell Freezes Over" CD or whatever. It may help you narrow down what your hearing and you don't like?

Keep us posted,

Dennie

I agree maybe I damaged them I used to have a good ear for detail

I have been really stressed out for the last 2 months ( Kids) over 18

If the ears check out good , maybe I need meds

I would get rid of the kids (if they are over 18 it's legal--just change the locks) and keep the RF-7IIs...You may find the stress subsiding and your ear for detail coming back. Good Luck.

What aren't your RF-7 IIs doing right to your ears? If the only descriptions you can give are that they "sound like garbage" and "something is not right", there's precious little help anyone can give you.

Sound Harsh maybe not use to horns

I just bought them online , could it be the Emotiva amps ? Seems like love emo amps...

Emotiva seems to make a good product but their fan base is almost cultist...If you go to the AVS Forum's Klipsch Owners Thread (as well as the Emotiva Owners thread in the AVR section) and search for "Emotiva," by poster "Zen Traveler," you will find various discussions I had with people who took it personally when I asked "did you buy your RF-7s without auditioning" and "why did you feel you needed external amplification before even hearing them on the AVR you selected?"

Fwiw, your Emotiva 50.2 looks like a quality unit and you may not even need the Emotiva amps if you are in a small to mid-size room. I also noticed you liked your KEF speakers and didn't feel like the Klipsch HT was an "upgrade" so what you may have is buyer's remorse because the sound is different than what you've become accustomed...Regardless, you have a quality Home Theater on paper and I can't imagine it not sounding awesome (even with the Emotiva amps [;)]) so I would look at AVR settings and environment to find why it's not meeting expectations and agree with StephenM that more detail would be beneficial.

What aren't your RF-7 IIs doing right to your ears? If the only descriptions you can give are that they "sound like garbage" and "something is not right", there's precious little help anyone can give you.

If that's the case, providing Room Treatment and running Audyssey correctly could help alleviate that unless you are one of those people who seem to have an aversion to horns (and/or as I mentioned are accustomed to a warmer sound that your KEFs provided).

If we're talking harsh as in overbright sound, there are a few avenues to investigate.

1. Have you re-run Audyssey? Part of MultEQ as the name suggests, is shockingly...EQ, which can help tame such issues (and the default curve it applies rolls off the high end).

2. How are the speakers placed and oriented, both in relation to the room, and in relation to the listening position?

3. Describe your room a bit, ie geometry, furnishings, carpeting/flooring, walls, etc. The room is of course, as important a component as the speakers (if not more so) in being able to achieve good sound.

If that is a sound absorbing ceiling, that's cool but not having anything on that front and rear wall will definitely add to the brightness. I would start by disconnecting your Amps and running Audyssey without them and see what trim levels and settings that provides, but in a small room you really need some sound absorption and diffusers to get great results. My 2 cents.