How can people be such idiots that they buy BOSE?

lne937s

Why do people buy Bose?

They try to make crappy quality components sound halfway decent with compensating circuitry.

Their "engineering" principals are rediculous. Who though that resonant (boomy) bass from a 4" woofer sounds good? (maybe to some highschool kid who likes the sound of their car's trunk rattling) And the Wave radio isn't even stereo. They promote that reflected waves are a good thing. Their speakers have no imaging.

They don't post the numbers for their speakers. (ever think they might be trying to hide something?)

Their speakers are not efficient at all, have no low bass, boomy upper base, no high frequency, and poor imaging. Their speakers sound like cheap internal TV speakers.

Granted they do have WAF and a huge advertising budget, but how can people really be dumb enough to think of them as high-end speakers?

And there are other trendy styled, small speakers on the marker to satisfy WAF- Klipsch even makes them.

On top of everyting else, Bose is pretty expensive.

the general public frustrates me,

Larry

This message has been edited by lne937s on 05-04-2002 at 05:48 PM

INE---Whadda you care? Speakers are a preference, if someone likes Bose then that's that. Maybe (probably) I don't like the Klipsch speakers that you like, so what. And as far as high quality parts, well nobody who knows horns thinks Klipsch is using high quality parts, the Heritage line is noted for the cheesy parts used. PWK's genius is that he got such a collection of junk to sound good at all.

This message has been edited by TBrennan on 05-05-2002 at 12:10 AM

I'll tell you why they think Bose is good: they have never heard anything better.

The only reason Bose sounds good to those people is because their only previous experience with sound is that of a little boombox.

Of course, the advertising helps a lot as well, you'd be amazed at what people can come to believe... it seems if you show them an image ON TV of the little Bose system transforming into a huge home theater system, they WILL believe the image to be truthful and believe that Bose gives you great sound with a small size.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Seb your absolutly correct. I agree. Especially with advertising. Bose was the only home speaker I was familar with in the high quality realm until I got my ProMedia about 2 years ago. And even after that, they were the only Klipsch speakers I had heard. Advertising is very important. It can in some cases really make or break a company. I wonder why Klipsch doesn't have a stronger marketing campaign. You would think they would at least advertise their speakers in theaters. Well, let me back up and say that I have never seen an adverstisment for them in theaters.

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Advertising can also backfire. One company that comes to mind is Polk. Their advertising really revealed to me over the years that it is just a MARKETING company and not a SPEAKER company. I avoided Polk like the plague and was never interested in their speakers wherever it was sold. If you notice they seem to change speaker lines every year, even when the ads say it is the best speaker they HAVE EVER MADE (or something like dat), well I wonder about the suckers that bought their speakers last year then, huh? So, the message I got was don't buy their speakers because next year and the year after that, (and who knows when it will end?) that they will finally get their speaker right! How many times have you seen Mr. Polk with his ultimate, dultimate, superduper, 100 speaker cones, 50" multi-hole woofer, "finally got it right" speaker??? Gimme a break!

Ok let me lose some steam and open a can of whoop a$$ on the companies I love to hate with a vengance.

cwm23.gif

B0$e as a company invests way more on marketing then research.B0$e rides on ignorance and the WAF,when will the peeps of planet Earth understand B0$e should be avoided like the pest?B0$e speakers are boomy,undefined,colored,lack any precision to speak of and above all are overpriced in a gross way.Even at half the price its still way too inflated.

Bottom like I think peeps enjoy B0$e because they dont know better and have no valid reference.And some dont deserve better,their ears are as sensitive as the jackhammer.

Now about Polk Audio,

Polk speakers are much superior in every way to B0$e or the mass market junk sold in chain stores.Their problem is as was pointed out NEW MODEL BUY NOW...old model crap sell.They change speakers like I change shirts dammit,new better super duper claims each year.

Polk speakers are not bad its the marketing and too constant change that is negative.

BTW I am not a Polk Audio fan at all,I had their subwoofer(2) and a few speakers.Guess what,I sold them all and fast.Ok speakers but noting to rave about.

A big stinker is *uance from Canada.This company has sales reps in a few chain stores and they force feed BS Q sound demos to customers and tell them its Spatial sound! LOL N*ance uses garbage quality drivers and $5 crossovers and slaps them in ok quality boxes.Some sales reps even tell customers they are designed by Mirage! LOL Stay away from Nu*nce.Its legal ripoff.

The last company on my list is Hi-Vi Copycats,these shameless peeps make blatant copies of Dynaudio drivers and claim them as their own! They think all customers are stupid,dont they know some audiophiles are informed and will tell others on the net about this? I hate copycats and peeps who take other's ideas and steal them.Why dont they invent someting and then market it,then I will have respect.

End of rant

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 05-05-2002 at 09:47 AM

I actually work in advertising, although not related to audio.

My frustration came about after looking at their ads while skimming through magazines looking for ideas.

On the one hand I am impressed with the power and abilities of my profession, but, on the other, I am disapointed with the people who just seem to follow like sheep.

I would like to think that I am helping to promote awareness of my product and not misleading people.

I would also like to think that people would take the initiative to make informed decisions, and people would be able to process that information to form a decision.

Maybe I'm being to optimistic?

Should advertisers have to take into account the herd mentality of their audience?

Do I have to adjust my message for the lowest common denominator?

Why do people drink lite beer??? YUK....

Why do people give all there life savings to TV evangilists???

A lot of it is selling and marketing...

People have there preferences of what is important to them and where they will spend there money. For me and a lot of you, Audio is a priority. On the other hand, I can afford to drive any car I want, and have even owned a brand new Mercedes. But currently I drive a '93 Chrysler..... A BMW, Mercedes are a much nicer car. I realize it, but, Its not my priority.

JM

This message has been edited by j-malotky on 05-06-2002 at 11:58 AM

For me, Bose was the first company that I saw to advertise these tiny cube speakers with huge sound. I listened in peoples dorm rooms to them from only 4 feet away and in stores also placed only 4 feet from the listener. Being that close made one think that they sounded awesome cause they were loud and you could actually feel them abit. Well of course, you can feel almost any speaker from 4 feet away. But since Bose did all this advertising saying how great they were people including myself beleived them. I used to think that since they were the only speaker I knew of at the time that was that small that they were above all others and that the companies that then made satelite speakers were followers and always one step behind Bose. Now that I am aware of more speakers out there and have listened to more speakers and listen more closely I realize they suck. But that is how I believe most of the general public was fooled.

And I LOVE LITE BEER.

I love lite beer to- usually on hot days, eating barbecue- it quenches thirst, doesn't cover up the barbecue, isn't sweet like soda or flavorless like water.

I also like regular beer- if you haven't tried it, Brooklyn brewing company has some great products.

Back to speakers...

even though people have different tastes, there are good and bad quality and value speakers. Just like there are good and bad quality lite and reg beers ( I can't stop thinking about beer).

Anyway, for reflected sound- there are some decent di and bipole speakers out there as well as some small sat speakers. You could use Klipsch rear channel speakers for fronts if you don't like pinpoint imaging.

Perhaps the real issue is philosophical and too complex for a speaker forum. People seem to follow blindly. Why do people do things that are irrational aren't in their best interest. Adam Smith's concept has a fatal flaw in that people aren't rational and they often do things that go along with the crowd rather than promoting their own interests. Reading Nietzsche (slowly and accurately- not the popular misinterpretations and reinterpretations - try Walter Kaufmann translation and read the footnotes) can make you realize all the ways that herd mentality affects our world.

... but maybe it's better just to drink beer and listen to great music!?!

Larry

Why do people buy American cars, (not the Taurus made in Canada or the Accord made in Ohio) when all the statistics point to better repair records for Japanese and German models? Beats me. (Except I own American cars, they are much cheaper.)

Many of my friends have, and love, the little white Bose systems. They are much smaller than my big old horns. They love the small size and think the sound is great. They like the tiny cubes with their curved little horns inside. They like a stereo where amplification, control and speakers unify into one sharp looking system. (One decision, not many. Classic retailing strategy.) Creating the most tangible holographic sonic illusion of the singer and her band, and removing any hint of the sound system that created the illusion, is certainly not their goal.

They think that my big old speakers are loud and that I am crazy to keep fiddling around with this massive system. They do not care about the lowest octaves on the piano scale or the metallic ring of the cymbals. They usually say things like it is too loud and it still doesnt sound real. (Ouch!)

Either the small Bose jewel cube speakers do a very good job of capturing a wide swath of the musical range or the importance of such measurements is historically over-inflated. My woefully inadequate measurements show something like 315 to 8 kHz within about 4 dB. With each cube pointed off-axis from my sweet spot, by about 45 degrees, there also seems to be little or no measurable reflections from the side-walls. Pretty impressive for speakers than fit in the palm of your hand.

Compared to my big old horns, the pianos on the Jewel cubes have no ring, the cymbals are distinct, but without dramatic sizzle, they have no mellow ring or crisp swish. The Bose boxes have less tonal definition, details are buried and attack on notes is slower. Saxophones have no "blat", bite or edginess. While their bass is less solid with little punch, in some respects, especially on typical recordings of popular music, the little boxes are easier on the ears than the audiophile ones. No wonder so many of my friends have the Bose systems: they get most of the music without the ugly row of speakers, cabinet and electronics which forms an expensive wall in my living room.

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

"... but maybe it's better just to drink beer and listen to great music

I gotta respect a statement like that....I was married for nine years and the WAF was the main reason that I kept my bose system..(also, spending money on the stereo system was not allowed...if you know what I mean)....

after the divorce I now have KLF30's as my mains, KLF-C7 center, and RS-3 as my surrounds as well as a rack full of semi-pro and high end consumer equipment....

(it would even be better equipment if it wasn't for the child support...but that's a whole another story..)

Thanks to all of you out there for your very interesting and insightful posts and comments on all of these forum topics....

... but maybe it's better just to drink beer and listen to great music!?!

(I hope you don't mind if I adopt that philosophy as my own...)

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

Look im not going to piss on you but you have to under stand you own KLIPSCH. Your in the same boat as BOSE.You have a loud speaker with horns. If you want a good speaker system buy high end not a Pa speaker.

And what sort of speakers would that be, Deam?

What exact brand are these High-End speakers, Deam?

Could you even afford them?

And if you are a cones and domes fan, what the hell are you doing here?

If there is no reply to this question, then you are obviously a Troll and need to go back under your bridge.

No food for you here.

Bose 'ain't even close to older Klipsch, Dunderhead.

How's that for pissing on somebody?

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

ADVERTISING

"...can sell ice to Eskimo's."

Nobody buys Bose for sound, they buy them for other reasons...

American cars, KRAP! When we went car shopping a few months ago, we looked at EVERYTHING except American cars.

Out 2001 Outback is make in Indiana, but it is made well. Ford is crap. The onlt good American cars are big ($30,000) trucks.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

It's the same question I ask how my fellow Canadians can be so STUPID to buy Nuance speakers.

10 year warranty on the drivers, boy aren't you special. Ever ask the Sales Rep for a "specification sheet"??!! If you did, bet he didn't have one, even if you asked for the one out of the box from the floor display, because there is none Smile.gif

"Only available in Canada eh"....lucky US and UK, and everywhere friggin else in the world, made in Canada\kept in Canada, worse than Blose for crying out loud.....YUP Smile.gif

I witnessed something pretty sad a couple of weeks back. My roommate was bidding on eBay for some KG 3.2's that were being sold by a local. We went over one weekend to take a listen to them. This guy had one of the most impressive jazz collections I have ever witnessed and had quite a bit of nice gear. He even had an old set of Dynaco's that were in excellent shape. The 3.2's looked as if they could have come out of the box that day. I asked him what he was replacing these speakers with upstairs (didn't get to see that system) and he told me Bose 301's!!!! Bose, is this guy crazy?!? He then told me about how much hearing loss he has experienced, etc, etc, and that made me understand how he could do such a thing, so I guess there is a place for those spekers.

I just wanted to put in that I am not a Klipsch fan blind to the rest of the world.

I do and have owned Klipsch speakers and believe them to be among the best speakers for large rooms, especially for the money.

I am currently looking for new speakers to go in a very small room/apartment in Brooklyn, and I just can't seem to convince myself that 90X60 horns are ideal for this situation. Having listened to my previous RF3s close up in a small room, it seems like a square peg/round hole problem, the wrong application. I am currently also considering other speakers, like Magnepans and various near field studio monitors. I just wish they were more sensitive, for detail and reduced load on my amp rather than loudness.

But Bose?

Even if you like the basic archetecture (small speakers, cones and domes) there are better speakers out there. Especially for the price.

Put a pair of Heresy's in there and be done with it...

I have come to the conclusion that I will own nothing but horns for the rest of my life (unless something better comes along). That is the sound I prefer to all others. I love the dynamics, high efficiency and low distortion that horns generate. I am a live music lover, and horns almost make me feel like I am listening to live music. Different strokes for different folks...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems