Anybody familiar with Yaqin MC100b tube amps?

jeff spicoli

I am currently powering my La Scalas with a Pioneer 1250-sx and was wanting to get into tube gear. I have a chance to trade the Pioneer for a Yaqin MC100b or a Eico ST-40. The Yaqin has had many upgrades and the Eico has been fully restored. What do you guys think?

I also have a Stromberg Carlson ASR-433 on its way but it need to be restored. Should i use the money from the Pioneer to get the ASR-433 fixed? Or should i just trade off the Pioneer and save my money and fix the Stromberg Carlson later?

I have two Yaqin built amps. The first is a 300B based amp re-branded as Grant Fidelity, the second is a phono preamp. Both are outstanding in both build quality and sound. I have done a bit of tube rolling with them and couldn't be happier. If you trust the person who did the "upgrade" to have done it correctly then I think you should be happy with the Yaqin.

I have a Yaqin MS-20L, I am very pleased with it. Tube rolling helped the sound with it so I would assume the same for the MC100b. I have about 200 hours on it.

The Yaqin amps are not the best out there, but a good value and well worth their price (IMHO).

I also have a Stromberg Carlson ASR-433 on its way but it need to be restored. Should i use the money from the Pioneer to get the ASR-433 fixed? Or should i just trade off the Pioneer and save my money and fix the Stromberg Carlson later?

The ASR-433 is absolutely worth having restored! It's a terrific amp which should provide really enjoyable listening. Stromberg-Carlson was always known for turning out high quality products (their radios were wonderful). Glad to hear that you are getting one, especially if it is in good condition.

I have a Yaqin MS-20L, I am very pleased with it. Tube rolling helped the sound with it so I would assume the same for the MC100b. I have about 200 hours on it.

The Yaqin amps are not the best out there, but a good value and well worth their price (IMHO).

Worth the price even after the $200.00 shipping?

I would skip the direct from China route unless you are very sure of the seller; it may look like the real thing but you never know. There is an Ebay seller in Canada who imports these units, checks them, and even better warranties them. I bought my Yaqin phono pre from him and was very satisfied. Check him out before China direct (http://stores.ebay.com/Canadian-HiFi-Online?_trksid=p4340.l2563).

Worth the price even after the $200.00 shipping?

I would skip the direct from China route unless you are very sure of the seller; it may look like the real thing but you never know. There is an Ebay seller in Canada who imports these units, checks them, and even better warranties them. I bought my Yaqin phono pre from him and was very satisfied. Check him out before China direct (http://stores.ebay.com/Canadian-HiFi-Online?_trksid=p4340.l2563).

I didn't pay that much shipping. I bought mine from the guy in Canada, I paid $90 shipping. He guarantees them and if you don't want mail it back to him he will send parts and schematics if there is a problem. I was a TV repairman in the "tube days" so if there is a problem (none yet) it should not be a problem. Tube amps are relatively easy to repair.

I would not buy something like this directly from China, but that is just me.

• 1 year later...

I have two Yaqin built amps

I have been looking at the Yaqin amps on Ebay and wondered about their quality and reliability? Good to hear from some forum members that own them. The cost of the amp and shipping from China was also a concern. I may now strongly consider getting one. Some of them are rated around 50 watts which would work for my Reference speakers or am I missing the Heritage speakers? I wonder if anyone with Reference speakers are using tubes, especially for jazz and female vocals?

I use an updated Stromberg Carlson ASR-433. It is an excellent pairing with Klipsch. If you want an little extra oomph in the bass region and great control over the treble and bass, this is your ticket. If you will use it with LPs and you are picky, you may want to upgrade the phono section. IMy phono section is not updated, and it would be better with a little work. Great integrated tube amps.