RMAF 2011

greg928gts

Greg, I would love to come hear your speakers sometime.

Much Respect. Yes

Sterling

Are you coming to the show? I've never been to that one, and people tell me it's the best high-end audio show in the U.S. I'm really looking forward to checking out some of the other rooms myself.

Since I'm sharing a room with three other vendors, I should get a chance to go see a few other rooms while they cover for me.

Greg

Harman had the JBL 1400 arrays at the show, and Home Audio Sound (JBL distributor) had a really nice setup with the DD66000s and Mark Levinson electronics. There were also the usual Acapella and Classic Audio rooms with horns. I didn't see any Avantgarde this year, though.

- Bill

Those JBLs are one of my favorites at the show.

My conclusions from the show are:

1. The stuff I really really liked, I cannot afford them. Such as the JBL Everests, the TAD Reference, ATC Active monitors, as well as a pair of speakers associated with "Holy Sh&t" buttons.

2. There is still great stuff at the low price point: Hsu Research had a nice system for $1100 and the Don Keele designed line source speakers in the Parts Express Room is something I would definitely spend my money onin kit form.

3. Some of the most favorably reviewed speakers in TAS and S*file are really over rated and over price. Audio Note had a two way speaker system for the insane price of $66,000!!

4. SACDs are a rip off. DSD files are the future.

5. I like John Atkinson - much more down to earth than I expect.

I had a good time in Denver...

1. The stuff I really really liked, I cannot afford them. Such as the JBL Everests, the TAD Reference, ATC Active monitors, as well as a pair of speakers associated with "Holy Sh&t" buttons.

I thought of PWK's BS buttons when I saw those buttons. They're from Precision Transducer Engineering -- they make some refrigerator-sized active speakers with an 18" sub on the bottom and a Tannoy driver with upgraded (TAD?) HF compression driver on the top.

2. There is still great stuff at the low price point: Hsu Research had a nice system for $1100 and the Don Keele designed line source speakers in the Parts Express Room is something I would definitely spend my money onin kit form.

I noticed some more "mainstream" brands than at previous RMAFs, including Hsu, Polkaudio, and Martin Logan. Now if only Klipsch and Magnepan would show at RMAF... [;)]

3. Some of the most favorably reviewed speakers in TAS and S*file are really over rated and over price. Audio Note had a two way speaker system for the insane price of $66,000!!

And I think they were using a ~$100,000 pair of Audio Note amps. I listened to a couple of tracks in this room. OK, I guess, but the price is absurd.

- Bill

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I had a great time in Denver, but I was not able to get out of my room very much, and so I only heard about ten other systems, which is just a small fraction of what was there. The whole experience was overwhelmingly positive. I ate some great food, drank much more beer than I ever do, and made several new friends.

There were a lot of horn speakers there, but I don't know of any fully horn-loaded other than the Vittoras. The Classic Audio Reproduction speakers sounded very good at RMAF. I didn't like them at CAF. I was left wondering what all the hype was about, but completely different in Denver. When you walk into a room, it really depends on what recording is being played, at what volume level, how many people are in the room, etc...

I heard a few really crappy sounding systems. Surprising really. I wonder how that happens. At least two rooms that I walked by had audibly distorted bass coming from the speakers. I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of people out there who simply can't hear good, and some of them design speakers!

The show couldn't have been better for Volti Audio. I was one of the few (out of over 300 vendors) who had a major sale at the show. I sold the pair of Vittora speakers I was showing to a customer in Chicago, and they were shipped from the show directly to them. I'm looking forward to getting pictures of them in his room, which is apparently very nice, with a stone fireplace and hardwood floors. I also sold a complete Khorn upgrade package at the show, and another package when I got home. Now I've got to build more V-Tracs and Vittoras. I'm going to be very busy this winter.

Volti got some good press from the show. At least one magazine writer gave our room a "Best Of Show" nod. I am humbled by that, as I have been with all the wonderful feedback I've received from the hundreds of people who've listened to the Vittoras.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2011/rmaf2011_volti.htm Hot Product

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2011/rmaf2011_volti_system.htm Best Of Show

The funniest thing was the look on one reviewers face within ten seconds of hearing the Vittoras. He is a self-proclaimed horn speaker hater, and he had a look of disbelief on his face. He turned to me and said "I wouldn't have given you a nickel for these speakers before I heard them, but I can't believe what I'm hearing. If you didn't tell me so, I would never have guessed these were horn speakers by listening to them. Nice work".

I have one review of the speakers scheduled for late this year and another after that in the begining of 2012. There are three other reviewers who have expressed interest, and it's basically up to me to decide if I am willing to spend the money on round-trip shipping to get the speakers to them.

So Volti continues to make steps forward, "turning the page" on horn speaker design.

Greg