My new Emotiva UMC-1 (new to me)

Brac

First off thanks to Jeff ( carbon summit) for a great deal, I've wanted to get a UMC-1 for awhile so it was great to see a used one come up from a forum member. Unit arrived in original packaging, and in great condition.

First off the UMC is a nice upgrade from the Sherwood P-965, as the 965 needed an external hdmi switch, which meant I couldn't use audio over HDMI,

The UMC is very easy to setup and sounds great, I used the EmoQ and am pretty happy with the results. The sound quality is also an improvment, as it definately has fuller bass. It does only have a single sub output, but with the newly built TH-spud I think 1 is gonna be all I want or need.

I know some people don't care for thye remote, I've read "big and clunky" I kinda like the weight oof it, I just wish it had a backlight.

I will add the this shortly, don't want to say too much as I have only watched a couple movies so far, and no music.

I know some people don't care for thye remote, I've read "big and clunky" I kinda like the weight oof it, I just wish it had a backlight.

im right there with ya, love the remote, if you have have a burglar break in just grab the remote and swing for the fence :)

im not a fan of the dim button on the remote though, took me hours to figure out why my umc display was off on the unit after the little one got a hold of it and started pressing buttons

and congrats on the purchase

Congrat's ,the UMC while never a crowd pleaser has made many individuals really happy.I think you'll agree that the sound quality is way above the price point.Hope things work for ya, I never had a real big complaint with the UMC, mine does what I need and sounds great doing it.

Love my UMC-1. Then sound is out standing. Emo- q can be a little buggy, I set everything up manually with a SPL meter.

Most big issues are related to cable and sat boxes. Using component video cables instead of HDMI works around most of the issues.

New UMC firmware is due out very soon.

• Moderators

Love my UMC-1. Then sound is out standing. Emo- q can be a little buggy, I set everything up manually with a SPL meter.

I have and SPL meter and a tape measure. [:D]

Most big issues are related to cable and sat boxes.

Don't have any of them and don't have any plans to.

So was said about the UMC-1 itself. [:P]

To be honest, if they offered the 30 day in home trial, I would buy it today but I'm just really hesitant to buy a product that has continual known issues. Just doesn't put much confidence in my mind.

I appreciate you adding your comments and thoughts.

• Moderators

youth, I thought about getting a umc way back when they first came out, but I just cant go back to anything without Audyssey.

I've never had Audyssey before. My previous Yamaha had YPAO, the Onkyo TX-SR703 didn't have any room correction.

I have and SPL meter and a tape measure. Big Smile

Most big issues are related to cable and sat boxes.

Don't have any of them and don't have any plans to.

So was said about the UMC-1 itself. Stick out tongue

To be honest, if they offered the 30 day in home trial, I would buy it today but I'm just really hesitant to buy a product that has continual known issues. Just doesn't put much confidence in my mind.

I appreciate you adding your comments and thoughts.

I was in the same position as you several weeks ago, the 40% off coupon was the deal maker for me. Also, the UMC will be manufactured for another year, so I expect to see a few more firmware updates before the product is discontinued. The no return policy is a bummer, but there are several people willing to buy the UMC on ebay for a discount. IF your not happy with the UMC, sell it and take a $50 loss, keep the 40% off coupon and use it or sell it when the XMC comes out. If you sell the UMC and sell the 40% off coupon, you might even make money.

Also, Big Dan (Emotiva Pres) promissed to fix all outstanding issues with the UMC for what thats worth.

My end goal is to purchase a XMC-1 after its been tested by others, Im in no hurry.

• Moderators

when ever you change a source, or the source
material changes, It tells you what's being decoded, bitrate, and
something else (tired).

I'm guessing it would not show what is being decoded on my system since my Fat PS3 does not support Bitrate.

The no return policy is a bummer, but there are several people willing to buy the UMC on ebay for a discount. IF your not happy with the UMC, sell it and take a $50 loss

Looks like it would be more than a $50 hit. The only UMC-1 to sell on Ebay recently was this one that was NEW and sold for $350. Would be possibley more than $150 loss since mine would be considered Used.

Also, Big Dan (Emotiva Pres) promissed to fix all outstanding issues with the UMC for what thats worth.

I think that is noteworthy but I'm just not sure I'm willing to wait for the fixes. From what I can see in the Emo forums, they've been "fixing" now for 2 years.

purchase a XMC-1 after its been tested by others

Smart man. [;)]

youth, I thought about getting a umc way back when they first came out, but I just cant go back to anything without Audyssey.

There's nothing wrong with liking audyssey, but it never saved my Marantz or Onkyo from the return center.

A question for you guys that have had a UMC-1 for awhile. Do you connect your BluRay via HDMI or by 7.1 analog, and why? I'm thinking it's better to use HDMI and let the UMC decode. ================Had another question but I lost it.