Breaking............ in a new Sub woofer....... Necessity or Nonsense?

RRFL

I'm considering building a Sub Woofer and have noticed that some people run their sub woofers out of the box for extended periods to break them in.

I would have thought this would break the speaker rather than break it in.

What do you think?

A) Necessity

B) Nonsense

B) Nonsense

I once asked one of the engineers while at the Klipsch facility about breaking a speaker in. I don't remember the exact answer but it was basically, "I put "x" volts into the driver for 20 minutes and consider it done"

I don't remember the quantity of volts/power.

I'd suggest you just fire it up & enjoy it.

My question is what do people think they are breaking in?

Basically the only moving part on a woofer is the foam/rubber surround.

And to put it simply yes you are breaking it.

Every time the sub is on you are wearing it out.

Any man made material can only take so much flexing before failure.

This sounds like snake oil. Just like Bi-amping and monster cable.

You're basically breaking in the suspension. I didn't break the driver in on the last sub I built. The sub sounded great the first time I played it, no problem. I did find however that over the course of the next couple weeks, I was constantly turning the gain down on the sub amp to keep it balanced with the mains. The freer the suspension got, the less power was needed for the same output.

His question was should he "break them in" out of the box. That for me makes it nonsensical, and certainly not a necessity, just build it. If there actually is anything to "break in" / "burn in" then it is gonna happen anyway, unless of course he is just gonna look at 'em.

I'm considering building a Sub Woofer and have noticed that some people run their sub woofers out of the box for extended periods to break them in.

What do you think?

A) Necessity
B) Nonsense

Not A or B. You don't need to do it, but there is a reason for doing it.

My final answer! emotion-5.gif

I found the answer was quite obvious when I built my THT. I decided to ignore the break in recommendations and just build it. I then calibrated the home theater and called it done, only to find that I kept having to recalibrate the sub gain over and over again because the sub kept getting louder as the suspension continued to break in. So quite simply put, in my experience it is a necessity if you want to be able to calibrate your system immediately upon completing your build, otherwise you will have to continue to calibrate once your subwoofer slowly/naturally breaks in.

What do you think?

A) Necessity

B) Nonsense

I found the answer was quite obvious when I built my THT. I decided to ignore the break in recommendations and just build it. I then calibrated the home theater and called it done, only to find that I kept having to recalibrate the sub gain over and over again because the sub kept getting louder as the suspension continued to break in. So quite simply put, in my experience it is a necessity if you want to be able to calibrate your system immediately upon completing your build, otherwise you will have to continue to calibrate once your subwoofer slowly/naturally breaks in.

What do you think?

A) Necessity

B) Nonsense

Good information. I broke in the drivers for the THT's I built, and did not realize it would be so dramatic of a difference. I followed the instructions to the letter.

That mirrors my experience exactly.