Which soldering tools

Coytee

I don't have any tools in Jacksonville. Given the tools I had in Knoxville I either had what I needed (saws/hammers etc...) or could tape/crimp/clamp something together to help out.

When I soldered my XLR wires, I used one of those pistol grip (two heat range?) solidering guns that I remember as a child, the TV repairman using. I used some laundry pins (what ever they call the spring loaded clips that your mother might have used to hang clothes on the line)... I might have used a block of wood or something...

Ok, so here I am in Jax with none of the above and might want to put some more XLR's together so I can put the Mogami and/or Canare cable to work.

I remember that the soldering gun was a REAL pain/cumbersom to use so I guess I'll get a normal iron.

What I'm wondering about is what can I get to act as 2.593 extra hands to hold the wires & parts when I'm trying to put the XLR connector together? THAT is where I had the real issue. Keeping those darn clips holding everything without springing apart and tossing the pieces across the table.

I'm looking for some kind of hand helper to hold the small job I'm working on.

I have one of the big Weller guns (2 temp) and find it WAY too cumbersome for any kind of "fine" soldering.

I also have a number of irons but recently bought one of these and it's surprisingly nice. Especially for 12 bux

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=374-100

For helping hands I've got one of these without the magnifier. I do not know how I could accomplish anything without it.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=360-670

What I find works best is to find a way to hold the XLR connector not using your hands - like a simple vice or the mating XLR connector in a plate or another product. Then, put the solder on the connector and tin the wire separately. While the connector is held, this frees up one hand to hold the wire while you hold the iron with the other. Heat up the solder on the connector and then insert the wire into the little cavity and remove the iron while holding the wire after the solder on the wire melts. On the RCA end, I'll put the wires through the little hole first and hold the solder and wire with the same hand while heating with the iron on the other hand.

What I'm wondering about is what can I get to act as 2.593 extra hands to hold the wires & parts when I'm trying to put the XLR connector together?

A) Get your wife to move.

B) A Mistress?[:P]

Couldn't help myself, that was just too easy. On a serious note, the helping hands deal with the clips is OK, but can be a PITA at times to get parts in position. I'll have to look, but I know I've seen the same type of device with flexible lines instead of metal joints that looked like it would be a lot quicker and easier.

You could have added the dogs... then I'd have about 20 helping paws along with 5 tails to knock everything off the table.

No dogs in my world at the moment but the last time I said "come here and hold this for me" I ended up sleeping on the couch. [:D]

That's when I bought the little "helping hands" gizmo. [;)]