Denon AVR-4311CI OR Yamaha RX-A3010 AVENTAGE

A1UC

I have a SC-57 now and it uses Global X over , I just want to get away from this seems kind of old school to me .

Going back and forth Onkyo Denon Yamaha Onkyo from what I have read has issues and runs hot Denon uses Aud XT32 and Yamaha uses Yapo

Yamaha also has switching of inputs whil in standby which is nice to have

Found a deal on a Onkyo Pr-SC5508 pre that would go good with my XPA-2&3

Hard to say. Working for Magnolia, I have had a decent amount of listening to all three receivers. The SC-57 is hands down the best IMO, especially for movies. For music, I love the Marantz receivers. I like the Yamaha Aventage line, but when we had the 3000 hooked up to the Bowers and Wilkins CM9s, it had a considerable drop off of power, where the SC-57 that is now hooked up to them really makes them sing. This may not be a big deal to you since you are using Emotiva amps, however. As far as the Denon vs the Yamaha, to me the Yamaha has a much brighter sound than the Denon, and the Denon has the more relaxed smoother sound.

Side note. I think the Yamaha Aventage line receivers have the strangest setup software.

Its looking more like the AVR-4311CI or a Good Pre Amp then to me , I see Onkyo new line comes with 4K Scaling but Im sure it will be yrs before thats a concern .

Heres my side note , I would never buy a Pioneer product again .

FWIW, this review of the Yammy A3000 may be worth a read.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/rx-a3000

As far as Audyssey vs YPAO, I believe based on the write ups I've seen of YPAO that XT32 applies considerably higher resolution filters (FIR filters with thousands of points per channel versus presumably parametric EQ with ~ 1/6 octave resolution*). Of course which you think sounds better is another story.

*1/6 octave figure from here: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/rx-z7-7.1/rx-z7-configuration

I'm quite curious about the new Yamaha Aventage receivers. I haven't heard one yet, but they look great and I like the "natural sound" mantra. I have no idea how it performs.

Just be happy with the Onkyo, it is waayyyy better than than Yamaha imo.

I'm quite curious about the new Yamaha Aventage receivers. I haven't heard one yet, but they look great and I like the "natural sound" mantra. I have no idea how it performs.

Just be happy with the Onkyo, it is waayyyy better than than Yamaha imo.

Not planning a change out downstairs. I am very happy with the Onkyo as a hybrid pre/pro. I do run a yamy upstairs in my living room. It's a casual HT and it works fine for said application.

I have the 4311 and can certainly vouch for it. XT32 and dual sub calibration. 11.2 channels at once. Can't speak to the others. The 4311 replaced an Onkyo 805 which I still have and is still perfect. Doing living room duty now.

At any rate, I got a refurb 4311 and haven't had any issues with it. By all accounts, like a new unit. I am running outboard amps because I can, but the internal amps can certainly drive my Forte II's and La Scalas to ear shattering levels.

I've got a Integra DHC-9.9 which is great for movies, but I feel could be better for music. I was at a fellow Klipsch forum member's house who had a Denon 4810 with a emotiva xpa-5. I think the Denon's warmer highs complimented the Klipsch horns a little better. I've been looking into the Denon's ever since. I'm not sure if you're planning on using the internal amp or your Emotiva's. The thing that really caught my eye about the 4311 was I just read in the latest home theater mag that you can actually shut off the internal amps of the 4311 when just using it as a processor. I don't know why, but it's always bothered me to use a receiver as a pre and still have the amplifier section still on generating heat. Just my 2 cents. I saw a site selling refurbed 4311's for $1069 with free shipping I believe. I can't remember which site. If interested, I'll try to find it again.

I've got a Integra DHC-9.9 which is great for movies, but I feel could be better for music. I was at a fellow Klipsch forum member's house who had a Denon 4810 with a emotiva xpa-5. I think the Denon's warmer highs complimented the Klipsch horns a little better. I've been looking into the Denon's ever since. I'm not sure if you're planning on using the internal amp or your Emotiva's. The thing that really caught my eye about the 4311 was I just read in the latest home theater mag that you can actually shut off the internal amps of the 4311 when just using it as a processor. I don't know why, but it's always bothered me to use a receiver as a pre and still have the amplifier section still on generating heat. Just my 2 cents. I saw a site selling refurbed 4311's for $1069 with free shipping I believe. I can't remember which site. If interested, I'll try to find it again.

I think it has been confirmed over at AVS forums that it doesn't really shut off the amps.

I found a Onkyo TX-NR5008 for 1500.00 or a Denon AVR-4311CI for 1475.00 Seems like I would get alot more for my $ with the Onkyo

I have been seriously considering this NAD pre/pro if I could liquidate enough gear before the ad is gone. Cool thing about the newer NAD offerings is that they are modular units with a considerable amount of "future proofing". So far, NAD has been supporting the venture with the newest audio and video modules to keep up with the ever changing technology. (I am not a NAD spokesperson just a big fan of their gear.)[:D]

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1324176204&/Nad-t175hd-Preamp/Processor-pr

My current NAD T773 receiver is a powerhouse and is wonderful for HT and music even without HDMI connections. I am currently using it as a pre/pro only using 5.1 analog for BD's. If the T175HD has even 75% of the musicality as my T773, it will be a winner in my book.

Bill

Thanks for the link on the modules , now it would be nice to know what modules are in the unit for sale .

Are you going to buy this ? Im not saying I will but if I decided to I dont get in the middle of somone elses

deal " unless its a real good deal " [:P] j/k

Are you going to buy this ?

Thanks for the link on the modules , now it would be nice to know what modules are in the unit for sale .

I forgot the seller sent me an email with the specifics. Here is his reply.

"Hello Bill, the MDC (Modular Design Construction) allows future upgrades, includes AM 200 Dual DSP Audio module and VM 200 VXP Video Module. These were installed by NAD when the unit was first built and not later by the owner or dealer as an ungrade. They are removable and replaceable with future upgrade modules to be sold by a NAD dealer. Please see the link below for a fuller explanation of the MDC feature."

The seller also confirmed the modules with a phone call to me and he left a message.(I forgot about that)

I have the sellers phone number if you want me to send you a PM with it.

I would love to but I have one pending sale of an integrated amp and a pair of bookshelf speakers and still need to sell one of my Paradigm Servo 15a subs.

It is a really good deal but just can't do right now. It is fare game to who is quickest to the trigger.

Bill