Need a new CD player... Oppo?

W27

Hey guys, hoping for a little friendly advice. My current CD player is a Sony DVP-S9000ES. I was very happy with it, but it seems to be having some issues.When used as a transport to my processor (Integra DHC-9.9) It still sounds great. However something has happened to it and the sound out of the analog outs isn't what it used to be. I have two sytems running off the same CD player in the same room. The analog out went to my 2 channel setup, while the digital went to my processor. I may be moving the 2 channel setup out of that room any ways. I keep hearing that the Oppo BDP-95 is as good or better than most stand alone players for the same price. I'm mostly interested in the CD playback, but I figured if it would be a upgrade over my current bluray player it's a win/win.

Before I order one, I wanted to know if anyone recomended a CD player or bluray player that may be a better value. Also, is the DAC in the oppo BDP-95 better than the Burr Browns in my Integra? If not, am I better off saving the 500 and getting the BDP-93? Any advice is greatly appreciated, and I will also consider any other recomendations for new or used players. I would like to stay under $1000

Your Sony ES is a flagship player that probably needs to be replaced with something of similar performance and build quality.

These look like a very good deals. A little over your budget but may be worth the extra $$$.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDBPA100/DENON-DBP-A100-100th-Anniversary-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/1.html

And non anniversary player.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDBP4010UDCI/DENON-DBP-4010UDCI-Reference-Universal-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/1.html#!specifications

Bill

• Moderators

Although your budegt is $1000, you may wish to consider the McIntosh MVP871. You should be able to find one for $1600 - $1800.

See why asking advice in this forum is dangerous to your wallet? We tend to help you "stretch" your budget. [:D]

Thanks for the input. As far as the Mcintosh, it looks beautiful as all the Mac stuff does. I feel I would need to upgrade the rest of my system to match, which is not a option for me at the time. I also read some mixed reviews on it. A lot of people had them modded to get the desired sound. I also looked up the Tascam... It's a tape player with a CD recorder built in. Not exactly what I was looking for.

Willand, I see you currently have an Oppo in your set up and also a Denon CD player. Do you feel the Denons are much better? If there would be a considerable difference in sound quality a extra 250 wouldn't be the end of the world. The 95 is supposed to be an nice improvement over the 83 as well. I was hoping with all the new internet direct deals that this would really do it all.

Yeah... No respect for a man's budget!

Maybe you guys could talk to my boss for me and explain how badly I need a raise;)

Willand, I see you currently have an Oppo in your set up and also a Denon CD player. Do you feel the Denons are much better?

The Oppo 83 is a very nice player that does do it all. Great video, great BD sound, very capable 2-channel player.

The Denon DCD-3520 is their 40lbs+ flagship player that was $1500.00 back in 1989 that is truly built like a tank and sounds wonderful. I think it could compete with many $2000.00 players of today.

For 2-channel listening, the best sounding redbook CD player that I own is my NAD C542. Great bang for the buck.

I have heard that if you plan on taking advantage of the new Oppo 95's analog section, it is hard to beat at the $1000.00 price point. Otherwise, the Oppo 93 will suffice in most applications.

Bill

Lmao..No wife here youthman! I've dodged that bullet for quite some time. I've got a long time live in girlfriend who is fairly supportive of what I do with my money. New components don't bother her too much, but my dozen plus pairs of tower speakers are a slightly different story. The day I put a ring on I'll probably be trading it all in on a Bose;) I am currently house hunting, which is putting a damper on my upgrades for now. I really should start selling off some of my surplus of gear, but I enjoy the buying much more...

Thanks Bill, I believe your Denon is comparable to the Sony I'm looking to replace. It would still be a great player, but it is giving me some problems. I want something at least as good in performance. I received some pm's for tubed cd players that I want to look into as well. I've considered ordering both the Oppo 95 and 93. See the differences on my system and keep the winner. I don't like return shipping though. I've bought other hyped gear in the past that didn't live up to the expectations. I'm also well aware of the price to performance ratio once you get up into that upper tier. I'm really just wanting the best bang for the buck. I appreciate everyone's input

You may want to try the Emotiva CD player.I just sold my oppo, 93, I've never been impressed with the oppo for cds, or it's operation for that matter, it did have a nice picture.My old oppo sounds better for music, my old Technics beats either pretty easily.

Don't let returning something hold ya back, it's not that big a deal, I do it all the time.I usually try any gear that's highly rated/budget priced, and send much of it back.It cost a few bucks but you never have to wonder anymore.

Hey guys, hoping for a little friendly advice. My current CD player is a Sony DVP-S9000ES. I was very happy with it, but it seems to be having some issues.When used as a transport to my processor (Integra DHC-9.9) It still sounds great.

If it sounds great through the Integra, then why worry?

Just about any CD player can fed bits correctly, right? Or rip your music to FLAC and use a music server or media center software to play the music to the integra. Saves you money. I kinda like having all my CDs accesible at a touch of a button.

Hey Fish, I love that advice. You're the first one to try to save me some money! With the savings I could even buy a Emotiva amp to play with. I've been wanting to try some of their stuff. I hear great things about their amps, but haven't really heard about their CD player. Do you own the CD player? I didn't see it in your profile. Also I'm curious of what model Technics you're talking about. I've got a technics CD player in the closet somewhere, I might have to pull it out and give it a listen. Could you tell me what about the Oppo that didn't appeal to you? How did you hook it up? My understanding is that the 93 is the same as the 95 for video, but not audio.

• Moderators

I have an Integra Research RDV-1 I'm selling for $300 + Shipping. It's an older unit (2004 - 2006 model) but works perfect and sounds great as a CD Transport. It retailed for $4000. It's 27 lbs of solid build quality and is THX Ultra Certified.

If you think you might be interested, send me a PM.

Integra-RDV-1-1.JPG

Hey Fish, I love that advice. You're the first one to try to save me some money! With the savings I could even buy a Emotiva amp to play with. I've been wanting to try some of their stuff. I hear great things about their amps, but haven't really heard about their CD player. Do you own the CD player? I didn't see it in your profile. Also I'm curious of what model Technics you're talking about. I've got a technics CD player in the closet somewhere, I might have to pull it out and give it a listen. Could you tell me what about the Oppo that didn't appeal to you? How did you hook it up? My understanding is that the 93 is the same as the 95 for video, but not audio.

I don't own the Emotiva cd player but I feel confident it would perform above it's modest price.It is likely the kind of player that could cost 3x more under another label.My Technics is an old DVD A10, a 20 lb deck with some good build and the best cd deck I've had.It was Panasonics shot at high end and at the bargain price I paid, it's lasted 11 years , it's still one of my favorite buys of all time.

The oppo has a great picture but on my 130 inches the ps3 looks about as good, I will confess I'm no videophile, sound is my thing.My old oppo 980hd does a nice job with analog too, about as good as most sub $500 cd players.

If I were not totaly happy with my A10 and OPPO 980 I would have the Emotiva in for an audition for sure.As was mentioned lossless on a disc drive is also a nice idea, or in addition too.I also noticed Youthmans player, that's sure a good price.....

Thanks! You all have gave me some nice options. I've got to do some more research now.

PSG- The Sony still sounds good through through the digital outs, but it's getting finicky on playing CD's. It takes a minute or two to warm up. It is definitely on its way out. Plus a lot of times in this hobby I think we replace things just to get something different. Even when everything is working perfectly fine.

Youthman- I really appreciate the offer. I think I just want that for the collection. I'm going to look it up and I'll get back to you. RDA-1 had no results. I'm guessing it's a RDV? But I still found almost no info on it. Pretty rare piece. You said it sounds great as a CD transport. What about the analog audio outs? This piece may work better for me in my 2 channel set up which is all analog.

Fish- Wow! Small world. I didn't check the model Technics CD player I have in the closet, but I know that I have the matching receiver to the DVD A10 in the closet. It's the SA-DA10. I used to manage a little audio shop back then and I sold those. That receiver is one of the pieces I said I'd never sell. I got it for next to nothing, but the sound was superb. You are correct in Panasonic owning them and those units were their attempt into high end but they never caught on. My store bought them for next to nothing. I think I paid 200 or less for the receiver and we sold them for only 300-400. The unit should have cost a couple grand. Not many people know about those units. I'm definitely going to have to do some closet searching tomorrow. I bet that receiver might even sound better than my current 2 channel setup. I remember it has the options to biamp the A and B channels and you can put it into a pure audio mode that kills the display, tone controls, and changes the signal path. The CD player I bought at the time to go with it. When the new technology came out it got stored and forgotten. Now all my systems are seperates. Bigger and newer is definitely not always better. Not easy to match that gold... Unless you have the even rarer black one.

There are many great options (new and used) in the $1000 range, but I have a strongly biased opinion towards the Marantz SA-11S1 SACD/CD player. I purchased one a couple of months ago, and I could not be more pleased with it. From the stunning sound quality, to the fantastic build quality, to the gorgeous looks, I could not ask for more in a player. It is the best source component this 'ol blue collar man has ever owned, bar none. It was originally a $3500 msrp unit, and they can be had on the used market for around $1200 (what I paid for mine). One just sold on Audiogon for the same price, and you may get lucky and find one for a little less...

http://www.shine7.com/audio/Marantz_SA11S1.htm

http://www.stereotimes.com/cd122005.shtml

• Moderators

RDA-1 had no results. I'm guessing it's a RDV? But I still found almost no info on it. Pretty rare piece.

Yes, it was a typo. :) It is the RDV-1.

You said it sounds great as a CD transport. What about the analog audio outs?

I just did a Google search for "What is a CD Transport". I have heard that phrase from Willland and I assumed it just meant CD Player. Maybe CD Transport wasn't the correct phrasing. I guess I was just trying to say it sounds great as a CD player, even though it is a DVD Player. I have it hooked up to my Emotiva UMC-1 Pre/Pro and it sounds great. I by no means am an audiophile. I did compare it connected via Digital Coax and Analog and I preferred the analog connection. To my ears, it had more detail and separation.

Wow Rick, that Marantz sure is a beauty!

Thanks, it sure is. It is the kind of component I could only dream of owning in my younger days, and I'm thankful to finally be fortunate enough to have a piece this good in my setup at age 48. Life is good... [:)]

PSG- The Sony still sounds good through through the digital outs, but it's getting finicky on playing CD's. It takes a minute or two to warm up. It is definitely on its way out. Plus a lot of times in this hobby I think we replace things just to get something different. Even when everything is working perfectly fine.

What I meant is that if you are happy using a digital signal from the CD player to the DACs of your receiver, then maybe skip the CD player altogether.

See http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/153780.aspx