How much is the UMC-1 worth?

JasonJCarney

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J, It woudn't surprise me if I made 50-75 calls to Denon Tech Services trying to figure out their manuals which are pretty tough for me to understand both on the 4306 and 4810. I was up and down with my satisfaction because I couldn't get the control over the sound that I wanted and now have with my U. The 4810 had to go in for service twice which meant I had to drag it all the way into NYC and then P/U. Denon is not cheap. I loved my Denons when I had them but I found something else that makes me much happiier. Emo has a direct to the customer business and free shipping which cuts out the middleman and responsive Tech Service (maybe not better than any of the others). Sometimes they have sales especially the Holiday sale when I saved seven hundred dollars on amps that were already well priced. Now I'm trying to sell my 4810 for a very good price and have not had one response. N

Shake, I don't think the reason for your old denon not selling is lack of quality or demand. Try pricing it at $500 and see how fast it goes. Lol. Actually I'll take it got $500 if you want to dump it? :)

• Moderators

Just because the umc-1 lacks an amp doesn't make it some how higher in quality above an avr does it?

Likewise, just because it's priced at $499 doesn't necessarily mean it is somehow equal to an AVR at a similar price point? Sorry but your logic can go both ways. I do think it's pretty funny that you are pretty opinionated on something you have never heard firsthand. :) It kinda cracks me up on how "emo"tional some people (not directed at any one person, moreso this entire thread) get when you begin talking about Emotiva gear. It's just gear. It will all come and it will all go and it will all one day be worthless as the next biggest/baddest unit takes it's place. [:P]

The funny thing about the UMC-1 for me was sometimes it was great over all, then you'd do an upgrade to get rid of a smaller annoyance only to take one step forward on that little quirk and take too steps back and get a new bug that you didn't have before.

Precisely why I have not upgraded to the latest firmware release. I have the next to the last FW release. Waiting awhile to get a feel for how it has worked for others. If it were a more simple process (like updating via internet over Cat5 with my PS3), I would probably have already tried it.

I guess my advice is if yours works leave it alone because you never know the results you'll get when you upgrade.

The tech support guy even told me that as well. He suggested not to update unless you are really having problems.

I will say two things:

1) I never had a bit of problems loading the firmwares. I never used my computer in safe mode, used a short UBS cord, anything. I just did it and it worked. The upgrading wasn't an issue at all. It was the question of what results the upgrade would bring that scared me.

2) I am happier with my Onkyo than my UMC-1 but I'm certainly not a Emo troll. Along with owning a few different Emo products I still have a 40% discount card from my first UMC-1 and if the XMC-1 or whatever comes after it sounds like a winner I'll jump back on the Emo band wagon. I LOVE the fact when I have trouble I can call an 800 number and get a human being to help me. One time I called I spoke with Lonnie himself. I know I'll never get that level of customer support with Onkyo. But then again my 886 has never given me no reason to call anyone.

I love small personal companies. If Emo comes up with a pre/pro that works I'd love to spend my money with them because I respect that level of "small town feeling" customer service. Until they do I'll own a pre/pro from the big boys because like I stated before I have very little free time so when I'm sitting down to watch a movie I expect my system to work everytime and I love the set it and forget it level of results that Audyssey provides (Even if I don't have the latest greatest Audyssey, my wallet hates you nezff [:P]).

Your right, price point does not make them equal. The $499 avr actually comes with an amp and the emo doesn't. All my opinions on the umc are based on forum posts and reviews. What more can I go on? I understand you are clearly a umc-1 fan. That's great, I'm glad you like your equipment. That's why I

LOoked at the umc in the first place (many many fans). However I just couldn't justify the purchase with all the bad reviews. I use cable, apple tv, ps3, a HT pc that in need plugged into my avr. Far too many issues brought up on the forums with that type of equipment hooked up to the umc-1.

wow, good to see you open up a little zen. dont stray too far from your box.Stick out tongue

Truthfully, I am a late comer to Denon...I started out with mid to upper level Yamahas (owned 4) and a Pioneer (had 1 for a month) and couldn't believe that what the salesman was saying about the higher priced AVR to be true...I have nothing against Onkyo and have been following them since they've been on the market. I was curious to see how their THX Certified units stacked up against the Denons and found that when tested on the Bench provided half the WPC of the Denons! [:o] {EDIT NOTE: For an almost 4 year period I was in Audio stores 3 to 4 days a week spending hours getting to know various salesman and developing relationships to get the best deal possible...I also had investment interests that allowed me to spend time researching the field of Home Theater.}

That being said, the Denon AVR 4810ci is the first 48xx series AVR released that wasn't THX Ultra II certified and evidently doesn't have the quality amps of it's predecessors (figured a person could add an Emotiva pretty cheaply). Regardless how you feel about Onkyo, you have to admit the Denon AVR-4810ci has awesome connection capabilities, given that you can run an 11 channel system (or less depending on the room) and have Audyssey as well. Shake didn't like his so it must not be for everyone but it dose have good user reviews at AVS in both the Emotiva threads and the Denon threads.

I have a Onkyo pre pro. I wouldnt go back to an AVR whether it was Denon or Onkyo. I looked at the Denon when I was upgrading, but didnt want a AVR and read about the blue rain or something to that effect, and marked that one off the list. Looked at Marantz, but no XT32, so that was quickly marked off as well.

Back to Onkyo which had everything I wanted. Considering this is the pro model,pre pro, no heat, XLR connections, installer ready, was plusses all around.

Everyone has their opinions and their brands they like. I like Onkyo, but also like Marantz and Denon, but until they release something Im very interested in, Ill stick with my onkyo.

t, the 4810 was very good and I did add the xpa5 when I found out about the amps. Then I set up the 11 channell and it was really too much for my space (26X16X8). I was most disappointed in the wide channel since Audyssey claimed this was the best thing to come along in a long time. When HT reviewed it they weren't too high on it and

I got published refuting this in the next editorial. The main reason I changed it was because the 4810 was only good down to 6 ohms and Denon strongly recommended I don't run the Palladiums with it. Your're right, Denon told me the processor section was only a small step down form the $7500 unit I was stuck so I went with what I thought was my best option and you know the rest. I didn't know enough to pick something out of Audiogon and a 499 loss wouldn't have been catastrophic as much as it would have stung real bad. Not to mention the fact that it was the same brand as all those monster monoblocks and has 4 ohm capability to boot. I'm not going to go into my song and dance about the U because everyone's heard it before and is probably ready to wretch. The only thing I want to add is that I learned a few things from this thread and I'm glad for that and to Jason as long. ponderous, and heated as it sometimes got. The thing is, for me, sometimes I get so intent on winning my point that its hard to hear what the next person is saying. I know also that someetimes I dreaded seeing the next post and who was going to take a pot shot at me when really it was just their opinion. So I'm insecure sometiemes...better than sitting there with my misconceptions. N

I have the UMC-1 / UPA 7 powering the Ultra II 7.2 set and I really like it. I haven't had issues with the UMC-1 (once you get past the learning curve). Most people with the UMC get excited and then start to not like it as it takes time to get used to... then once you have everything set as you like... it's a terrific unit. I also have an apple tv, ps3, directv all hooked up to it with no interconnect issues. No speaker popping, etc. Just make sure you set it up right -- meaning which equipment piece you want to turn on first etc. I use one of the URC remotes. This setup replaced a Pioneer Elite AVR (that I rally liked).

• 4 months later...

Hello All, I agree. Mine is running great. As you noticed kde, it take a little time to get the hang of it and I'm not entirely satisfied with the Tech Services at Emo but its running great now and I finally know the ropes so to say. It certainly is worth the money and I just can't wait for the new model for which I have my 40% off discount and I still get to sell the UMC-!. I'll get the new X model for cheap...maybe $650.00 or less net for a what promises to be a really fine unit. Thanks, Shake

When the XMC-1 starts hitting the shelves, do you guys think the market will be flooded with cheap UMC-1s, because of the huge discount being offered to current UMC-1 owners?

Like all others, I am considering getting a UMC-1 and will probably keep it NIB just so I can get the 40% discount off the XMC-1. With the discount , I am looking at 899$ for the XMC-1. If I can manage to sell the UMC-1 for 399.99 because of the fact that it is still new in box and factory sealed, I am then looking at 500$ for the XMC-1.