How much is the UMC-1 worth?

JasonJCarney

True, a big upgrade in my situation is/was understood.

With performance being at the top of the list, there are more considerations to the experience: cost, options, connections, ease of menu navigation, aesthetics. The order of importance is subjective. I'm not too interested in satellite radio or some of the other bells and whistles out there. I also prefer a 'tweakier' pre/pro to help achieve the optimum sound possible. For me it's a great unit.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the new firmware upgrade out time will tell if the issues of the UMC-1 have been addressed.

On the Emotiva Lounge Lonnie posted the fixes of the new firmware are:

DSP release 1.04.03
• New decoding architecture.
• Improved bass
management.
• Last mode hold added.
• Faster acquisition of audio
lock.
• Improved audio dynamic headroom.
• Re-structured bass levels to
meet current standards.
Main Operation code 7.04.19
• Improved HDMI
handling.
• Accelerated lock.
• Streamlined back end operations.

I'll be curious to hear what they did to improve the bass management. For me the poor performance of EmoQ and the way the UMC-1 mishandles the bass were the two of the biggest things I didn't like. The weird quirks being the rest of my frustration. Hopefully they worked the rest of the bugs out so the quirky behavior disappears and EmoQ does a better job, but I got the impression that they didn't plan to change the way the UMC-1 handles the bass management.

• Moderators

I'll probably hold off on updating the FW since my few quirks are just that, quirks. Nothing that interferes with my listening. I'll wait to see what others think of the FW update before I jump in feet first with it. It might not be worth the update.

I'd wait a good week. The common flow of things over there is a new update comes out and the same group of guys say its the greatest thing ever, then over time the bugs start to be mentioned by others. One nice thing is you can always go back to an older version if you decide the new one wasn't for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Jason, You asked what its worth and we gave you our best estimate. I have no idea what their return rate is; I only know when I had problems, they responded; I'm sure you know I meant something else by a streamlined business practise. I did my best to explain and a couple of other thoughts came to mind. First, I'm no audio expert and I have to rely on the info I get from as many sources as I can. Be that as it may, I still have only a bright IQ at best. There are so many members who could wipe the floor with me as far as intelligence. Not to be sorry for myself...that's just the way it is. So I ask a lot of questions and hope it doesn't annoy too many people. Also, who would pass up the opportunity to have one of the great audio minds in the world right now in their room. Some, but not me. I've never used an EQ before and it gives me the kind of control that I have been wanting for a long time; Its not for the faint of heart. I mean its an art and a science despite the fact that some can set it up in a couple of minutes. The bottom line is the only thing I really care about is how it sounds and it sounds really well...better than anything I've used in the past and the rumors are that the new X series pre-pro is really special. So I potentially get something great and have the opportunity to make someone else happy and put a few easy bucks in my pocket. Also If I had to pay full price for everything I have I would never have anything near the nice system I have now. You might have an ideat what I paid for my Palladiums but it was cheap and it took me years to make that happen. If you want me to answer any specific questions I'll do my best. These two posts represent a lot of what I know and believe. Emo, in general, is a good deal. I think a lot of people would agree with that's the corner stone of my loyalty. Best, Nic

... First, I'm no audio expert and I have to rely on the info I get from as many sources as I can. ... Also, who would pass up the opportunity to have one of the great audio minds in the world right now in their room. Some, but not me. I've never used an EQ before and it gives me the kind of control that I have been wanting for a long time; Its not for the faint of heart. I mean its an art and a science despite the fact that some can set it up in a couple of minutes...

Are you saying that the UMC-1 is for people who have no experience in EQing a room or setting up a Home Theater? [^o)] Btw, what do you mean by " who would pass up the opportunity to have one of the great audio minds in the world right now in their room. Some, but not me."

shake,

Seems like 8/10 reviews I read or forum posts from UMC owners is about problems they had/are having with the umc-1. Yet I constantly read that the UMC-1 is a great deal. I question the "great deal" statments mainly because it is selling at a lower price point so I was intrested. I would expect it to be on par with the other brands of pre/pro's out there like onkyo and denon. If it's not on they're level of quality and performance than how is it a great deal? Seems like it's less of a "great deal" and more of just a "lower price". You spoke about the emo business plan and their ability to keep a lower price point. I just don't see that being possible while maintaining an equally quality product at such a low price point compared to others.

shake,

Seems like 8/10 reviews I read or forum posts from UMC owners is about problems they had/are having with the umc-1. Yet I constantly read that the UMC-1 is a great deal. I question the "great deal" statments mainly because it is selling at a lower price point so I was intrested. I would expect it to be on par with the other brands of pre/pro's out there like onkyo and denon...

The reason it's a good deal is because of it's lower price point...If a person couldn't afford an upper end Denon AVR to use as a pre-pro then the UMC-1 would be considered "a great deal" over lower end avrs for the same money. When comparing pre-amps, I'm not sure how expensive the Onkyos are but the Denon retails for $7,500.

I just got the 709 http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/156710.aspx I am still considering selling my ht rc 180 and moving the 709 to the bedroom and grabbing an onkyo 5508 or 5008 for the HT. I really wanted to like the UMC-1 but after reading so many threads about the problem people are having I just coudn't pull the trigger. Hopefully when they come out with the XMC-1 it won't be so full of problems. If that does happen I would most likely give it a try. I would love to be able to buy from an american company.

With the new firmware, I personally think the UMC is a unbeatable bargain. I can afford a 2-3k processor, but feel there is no need to spend the extra money. The UMC does everything I need and the sound is simply amazing. How many companies let you upgrade to 3D without buying a new processor? At this point I wondering if updating to the future XMC is worth while, I'm certainly in no hurry to upgrade.

It seems most issues are related to what is being connected to the UMC. If you can avoid the problems source componets, the UMC should perform great.

Gee, now I'm sounding like a fanboy..........

How much is the UMC worth? 1000.00 - 1500.00.