Plasma or LED?

kde

About to purchase two new tv's -- likely the same model for two 60"s. Been out of the market for awhile -- what are the thoughts for plasma versus LED (assuming LCD's are past)?

I hear that plasmas may be better for sports with a higher refresh rate, but that both have nice pictures. Looking now at the Samsung 59" plasma.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's best depends on a number of things... Viewing area, 3d or 2d, etc... there are a lot of write ups on the differences between the two just google search. Basically if you do most of your viewing at night or in a dark room plasma will give you better results. LED would serve you better during daytime viewing or a room with windows. Also plasma is gonna give you better off axis viewing than LED which might be important for others in your viewing area depending on how your room is setup. Plasma also is the better bang for your buck right now. There is much more that might affect your particular situation in making your decision so you might search a lil more but I tried to hit on some of the more common comparisons. Cheers

I have a 55" Samsung LED that I picked up a few months ago. VERY happy with it! I do have a brighter living room, and while I do see a little reflection, it's not distracting at all since the screen is so bright and clear. No issues w/ sports either, the 240Hrz refresh keeps everything smooth and ghost-free. The off angle viewing is nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be. I read a ton of reviews before buying it, and most of them warned about this issue. But honestly I really can't see a ton of difference unless I watch it WAY off angle (>45 degrees at least). And even then it's not really that bad at all.

Gotta admit, I do like the 3D too...

Plus it's something like .75" thick and <50lbs! Will be like a picture hanging on the wall... The image quality with a plasma will be a hair better in the area of screen continuity, but unless you are an extreme videophile you may never notice it. The plasma will be much heavier and thicker too (and uses a ton more electricity... relatively speaking). And if you play a lot of video games on it, you may have to worry about burn-in on a plasma. The newer sets are not as prone to this as older models, but still something to be careful with.

I really wanted something that blends nicely into the room without sacrificing image quality, and this TV fits the bill perfectly!

I have a 2 year old 50" samsung plasma and am still quite happy with it. excellent blacks, great color, and performance. wife says it looks too small on the wall of our new house and need to get something bigger, so I'm looking at the mitsubishi 73" DLP's ..nothing but good reviews and picture quality, provided you have solid control of the room's lighting.

In my opinion LED beats plasma any day of the week. LEDs now have a far greater contrast ratio than plasmas. They produce a much brighter picture which is very helpful when viewing in ambient light. The colors are also more vibrant. Motion on LED tvs are smoother than plasmas. LEDs also do not have the problem with glare on the screen that plasmas do unless you go with the Samsung LEDs which have a glossier screen which unfortunately causes glare. The only thing that plasma has on LEDs are the wider viewing angle which usually is a minimal difference at best. I would suggest LG LED which seems to be the best picture for the price. I would stay away from the Sharp Quatron if I were you. The addition of yellow causes the picture to look very artificial and completely over saturated in yellow.

Can you buy something used to hold you over for the moment?

Next year, OLED's are coming out in the big screen sizes...and if you've ever seen one (Samsung Galaxy S smartphones with AMOLED for example) they are something else. You need a jeweler's loupe just to make out the individual pixels. Yeah, yeah, you've heard this song before...but I'd wait if you can. I bought a used 37" HD LCD two years ago to replace our completely fuzzed-out CRT, knowing darn well OLED was in the pipeline. Trust me it'll be worth the wait if you can hold out. [:-*]

Well most people are telling you to go LED... it's all personal preference I guess. However most reviewers reveal that a properly calibrated plasma will out perform an LED in a PQ test anyday... mainly due to plasmas ability to produce deeper black levels. However cosmetics alone LEDs are extremely attractive. I just care more about PQ than cosmetics but to each his own.

Well most people are telling you to go LED... it's all personal preference I guess. However most reviewers reveal that a properly calibrated plasma will out perform an LED in a PQ test anyday... mainly due to plasmas ability to produce deeper black levels. However cosmetics alone LEDs are extremely attractive. I just care more about PQ than cosmetics but to each his own.

LED ? OLEDTwo entirely different animals. One is LCD filter based, the other is completely emissive.

http://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens15116501_1289065581THE_ARMCHAIR_QB_-_Profess

LED ≠ OLED Two entirely different animals. One is LCD filter based, the other is completely emissive.

lens15116501_1289065581THE_ARMCHAIR_QB_-

sorry i wasn't speaking about your recommendation I completely agree with you. I was referring to all the previous qoutes recommending LED

Guest davidness

I have a 52" Samsung LCD, and I just purchased a new Panasonic 50" Plasma.

I really like the plasma, and the Panasonic built in apps are actually useful and fast (Netflix streaming, Hulu Plus, Pandora, etc). I bought the plasma because I knew I was going to use it in my bedroom, mostly at night, so low light performance and contrast were very important. I couldn't be happier.

When I bought my lastest LED offering I went to several stores and watched the 55 to 60" sets. There was 4 of us (double date) looking at these sets. IIRC we went to Bestbuy, HHGregg, and Sams club. We all agreed that the Sharp Quattron was the best picture was saw.

When I bought my lastest LED offering I went to several stores and watched the 55 to 60" sets. There was 4 of us (double date) looking at these sets. IIRC we went to Bestbuy, HHGregg, and Sams club. We all agreed that the Sharp Quattron was the best picture was saw.

Best PQ cannot be determined in a store. Its bright in the store and there are a million other tvs surrounding it. PQ can only be determined once a set is properly calibrated in a dark room. The Sharp Quattron was a good choice tho

My aunt and uncle have a 52" Quattron and I think it has one of the worst pictures I've ever seen on a tv. Don't get me wrong, the picture is crisp and clear and the colors are bright but it's like they added about 500% too much yellow. Greens and oranges lean way more to the yellow side than they should and actual yellows pop out from the picture way more than any other color. The last time I was over at their house a basketball game was on and the court looked like it had been spray painted over with neon yellow paint. Sometimes too much is just too much

About to purchase two new tv's -- likely the same model for two 60"s. Been out of the market for awhile -- what are the thoughts for plasma versus LED (assuming LCD's are past)?

I hear that plasmas may be better for sports with a higher refresh rate, but that both have nice pictures. Looking now at the Samsung 59" plasma.

well.... first thing is LED is the type of backlighting for an LCD. It'a still a Liquid Crystal Display just uses LED's instead of cold cathode (CCFL). The big draw being less energy consumption and longer lifespan (100,000 hours vs 20,000). The downside of LED backlighting is the cost. The bigger issue IMO is edge lite vs full aray. The tv's that are super thin (like less than 2 inches) are able to achieve that size because the lighting (no matter what kind) is all along the edges of the display. Full aray lighting is as it sounds fully behind the entire diplay. That forces the TV to be thicker (like 3-4 inches). They say that edge lite TV's can become less accurate when your in screen sizes over 32 inches. Some people can see a big difference other don't care. I would say go check out a couple TV's at a local shop if possible to see the difference.

As for plasma's I don't know that much about them. I do know that I have a 50 inch samsung plasmathat is anout 5 years old. It still looks great. It's 720p and I only use it for tv. I did try gaming on it a few years back but it started to get burn in so I stopped (no permanent damage). So I would say the 2 biggest down sides to plasma are burn in and weight. They are considerably more heavy than LCD's of any kind.

My aunt and uncle have a 52" Quattron and I think it has one of the worst pictures I've ever seen on a tv. Don't get me wrong, the picture is crisp and clear and the colors are bright but it's like they added about 500% too much yellow. Greens and oranges lean way more to the yellow side than they should and actual yellows pop out from the picture way more than any other color. The last time I was over at their house a basketball game was on and the court looked like it had been spray painted over with neon yellow paint. Sometimes too much is just too much

We have not experienced any of those problems. I wonder if they have tried adjusting the color? Maybe there is a software update for their set. I don't think I even saw a 52" model? They had it a while?