Just got my onkyo tx nr709 in.

JasonJCarney

Sweet, early x-mas for you my friend! UPS should be dropping of those RCA cables for me today so that I can finally hook up the XPA-5. UPS should also have a pair of Walnut RB5's with them for me, if all goes as planned :) Can't wait to hear your impressions.

xt 32 is the bomb, and then I can always get pro

Well I watched limitless and super 8. Both good movies. I also watched the IMAX hubble film for a 2nd and 3rd time. The shuttle Atlantis launch is amazing for LFE. Anyway. I like the 709..... However it just isn't an improvement over my HT RC180. I wish it was. Now don't get me wrong, I like it alot. The movies I watched sounded great. Just cant hear a difference from my rc180. So, where does that leave me? There's only 1 higher version of audyssey for me to try (besides pro nezff) and that's xt32. It makes sense since I run 2 subs. So the options are onkyo 3008/5008/5508 or Denon 4311.... Or I wait for the outlaw 978? Lol jk about that. Honestly all 4 I am thinking about seem great and are about the same price (except the 3008). I don't want to get into a processor / avr debate here either (although I would like to know what the "pro" is all about nezff). So where do I go? Which do I choose? Is xt32 worth $900 more than XT? Hmmm help please.

I'm not really sure your move was more lateral considering you weren't really taking a "huge" jump. Having Xt32 to me is for people with dedicated spaces,two subs, and a tough room. Waste of money for a living room system. Pro is an extra $700($550)+($150 liscense). With xt32, it has way way more filters compared to the other versions. With pro you can actually see what your room is doing and can tweak the filters and load them into the avr or prepro for more of a flat response.

If you really want to find out more about it, go to the avs thread on audyssey pro.

Jason, having seen pics of your room and reading about your various experiences with different Reference speakers, I am of the opionion that your room is not big enough, i.e. your speakers are very close to your listening space, such that major upgrades will not make major improvements in your listening experience. IMO, all of your changes will be sort of lateral untill/unless you increase the size of your theater.

I like the 709..... However it just isn't an improvement over my HT RC180. I wish it was. Now don't get me wrong, I like it alot. The movies I watched sounded great. Just cant hear a difference from my rc180. So, where does that leave me?

Jason,

As much as I love my TX-SR705, it just can't hold a candle to the sound quality of my NAD T773. That is why I am suggesting to you to try one of NAD's newer receivers (T65HD, T775HD, T785HD). I know you are familiar with Spearit Sound and they have good deals on refurbs. Any of these receivers have plenty of juice to power your system without an outboard amp if you so choose.

This one "only" has MultEQ XT but does support MultEQ Pro. It does offer NAD's Audyssey implementation called "NAD EQ" curve.

http://www.spearitsound.com/Surround_Receivers-NAD_T775HD_Refurbished.html

Maybe Spearit Sound will let you do an "in home" demo first. Just an idea. I am not trying to spend your money but I think the NAD gear offers a music quality most mass produced receivers can't match. I would buy any of these NAD receivers or their T175HD pre/pro today if I had the $$$ to burn but unfortunately I don't.

Bill

Jason, having seen pics of your room and reading about your various experiences with different Reference speakers, I am of the opionion that your room is not big enough, i.e. your speakers are very close to your listening space, such that major upgrades will not make major improvements in your listening experience. IMO, all of your changes will be sort of lateral untill/unless you increase the size of your theater.

I'm afraid you may be right. The only thing that intrigues me is the ability to eq 2 subs. Since I swapped out my eD subs I have not been fully satisfied with the bass in my room. I was even considering going back to eD (and I really didn't want to do that because of quality control issues I have had with them).

The only thing that intrigues me is the ability to eq 2 subs. Since I swapped out my eD subs I have not been fully satisfied with the bass in my room. I was even considering going back to eD (and I really didn't want to do that because of quality control issues I have had with them).

FWIW, EQ isn't going to make those Paradigm subs deliver the same impact of your old eD subs. That said, there are plenty of other good quality makes to consider since eD left a bad taste in your mouth.

:( ...., unfortunately I understand that. The digms don't sound bad at all. But if I could improve them with some eq then all the better. I have looked at all the other ID sub companies. I don't like the epik design and I find it odd they came and went with so many different models. The fact that they have left the discontinued model on their front page for so long is just very strange. SVS pb13 ultra would be great if it was like $1200 and not $2k. HSU has a nice 15 inch box. What scares me about it is the fact that they sell them in pairs, triples, and quads, makes me think they just don't have the out put I expect out of a sub in that price range. I feel (maybe because of experience) that eD really does offer alot for the money (when the qualty is up to snuff). I have been lurking the used markets for those subs as well but just not much out there. Maybe that means people are happy with them? Could be a good sign.

SVS pb13 ultra would be great if it was like $1200 and not $2k

There's always the PB12+, which is no slouch either.

HSU has a nice 15 inch box. What scares me about it is the fact that they sell them in pairs, triples, and quads, makes me think they just don't have the out put I expect out of a sub in that price range.

I assume you're talking about the ULS-15, not the VTF-15H. The ULS won't have the same kind of deep bass response as a much larger ported sub obviously; however, a pair of them combined with room gain in a smaller room may well give a pretty good account of themselves. There's also the VTF-15H to consider.

I feel (maybe because of experience) that eD really does offer alot for the money (when the qualty is up to snuff).

No question in my mind that they do offer a compelling product. On the other hand, I've seen nothing to indicate that they're offering the bargain of the century either.

I'd also offer up Rythmik as a potential candidate, specifically the FV15HP. I'd also recommend reading the Audioholics reviews of the Hsu VTF-15H, SVS PB12+ (older model, but they've got some updated numbers on there last I checked), and Rythmik FV15HP.

Actually I did take a look at the vtf-15h. Thought alot about it because it has the ability to sort of eq itself with port blocking and so forth. I am looking for a little more depth out of a sub and those seem to be able to provide that. The ULS-15 is the one I was talking about. You Dort of made my

Point when you said that 2 would be good. I just don't see me spending that much on 2 subs before trying the a7-450 or a7-350. Now if someone was selling s discounted pair then for sure would like to try them