Pete H

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

I'll post more after work today as I have to get the monster inside so I can try and get set up for testing.

That's not the fun part, hope you have help, not extremely heavy but kind of an awkward size and shape.

yeeha. Can't wait for him to post about it.

That makes 2 of us. Tough Monday so besides thinking about lugging the beast in and running wires, that's all that's going to happen tonight. It's all about Bama/LSU and a couple of beers tonight.

I really hate to post this but it is what it is and after lugging the awkward beast from the shop into the house by myself and setting it up where I planned for it to go in the corner behind the L RF 7, I've got something really wrong or you're all freaking nuts about how unbelievable this sub is................everyone relax, I'm sure it's something I have screwed up, I just have to figure out what it is, which is why I'm really thankful that I gasketed and screwed the top panel on for the test. [:D] That's the only freaking thing I'm smiling about at the moment as the Spud is producing bass and I've run music and a couple movies through to give er a run, but I'm not at all happy with what I'm hearing. It's not like it's bad, but my expectations were much higher for HT. I'm listening to it now with the 7's in 2.1 with a little Zac Brown and it sounds fine but with Transformers (Dark Side of the Moon) and Iron Man, the LFE didn't hold a candle to my 15's.

I'm not doing crap until I can run some tests in the next few days, I hope, but I'm sure it's not the wiring on the drivers or it wouldn't sound as good as it sounds now (or that's my theory) I'm just going to throw out what I did and hope someone goes, I know what you need to check.

I'll post the pics but the box, IMO is tight enough for testing, the hatch is double layered 3/4 BB with felt gasket (I'll just post it as it will be easier to see it). The front main panel (the one with the mouth) is gasketed all the way around and on the inner horn pieces and screwed in place with about 100 screws so I'm pretty confident that slight, if there are any air leaks, are minuscule and the connection cup is gasketed also.

Here's the connection; Onkyo 805 Sub out (Same as the RSW's) to a Y cable into the Carver M200 (Bridged) and then into the Spud. I have the mains (RF 7's) backed off -12 and the Spud maxed out +12 and as far as HT goes on the movies, one 15 will knock you off the couch backed off to -10 and the Spud just doesn't compete. I have the Tang Bands wired in series (positive from one and negative from the other run to the cup and a jumper wired in + to - on the other terminals on the TB's)

NOTE; I'm running a pro amp with gain on the spud and I know that there's a sensitivity difference between the 7's and the Spud, but nothing like I'm experiencing.

Hopefully, the tests, that I don't know how to do, will reveal, the problem or problems that I don't know that I have and all will be right in my universe. [:P] My theory is that every build doesn't come out as planned, but I can't remember reading other posts where anyone really said that, but I will cause that's how I roll. I've groveling for some help here. [:'(]

Pete.

Sounds to me like something is not right. I too have two RSW-15's and the 15's were fine above 20Hz, but below that, the tapped horn blows the RSWs away.

They should be wired as follows. Positive lead from amp to positive on the driver that faces the narrow end (beginning) of the horn. The negative of that driver to the negative of the driver facing the wide end of the horn. The positive of the driver facing the wide end of the horn to the negative lead from the amp. Please verify these connections.

Hang in there.

post-10337-13819685518134_thumb.jpg

He's wired it wrong. Pete, take Rudy's diagram and follow it exactly. You wired in in series but not in series OUT of phase.

Thanks guys, I understand now and thought that in series was correct which means I'm not wired the way you described. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

Guys all I can say is THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! [:D]

I looked at that plan multiple times and must be dyslexic because I just knew I had the wiring right.........................NOT!

Changed it around this morning and screwed it back together and there it was. I'm going to run audyssey a bit later and try to hook up for some basic testing but if I don't get my gas line run today the little woman is going to blow a gasket if I just play all day on our day off, so more to come later and thanks again, you saved me a lot of time and grief.[Y]

• Moderators

SORRY PETE I am still laughing, I DID THE SAME EXACT THING. [:$]

I let it play all night hoping it was working the next morning, it was the same, I checked everything and finally went back to the drawing. I was ready to remove the drivers and throw the box in the burn hole ! That's when I had that oh cr@p moment, it was wired wrong.

When looking at the drawing I see what I did, the - sign pictured I mistook for negative and didn't notice the + above it.

I didn't say anything to you because I thought it was just me being in a rush and not paying attention. Sorry

I know exactly the sound you heard, nothing you would expect from a sub that big.

This is where I made the mistake.......

post-11804-13819685586758_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

The drivers work in a push/pull configuration, so they are wired unconventionally.The difference has got to be night and day.

I knew by how the drivers were mounted from different directions but still did it wrong. And yes there is a night and day difference, wired wrong you almost have to put your ear to the speaker to get and bass. The mains completely drowned out the sub except for a low rumble. The drivers were actually using the cabinet to fight each others output.

It's one of those things that slaps you in the face when you finally figure out what you did. [*-)] And a relief.

Tater's got a new sub now [:D]

SORRY PETE I am still laughing

That's how I know the you and I and a few select others would get along and have a great time in a social situation, because we can all be absolute dic^ heads knowing the others are laughing and waiting for the opportunity to get even. [:P] When were you going to tell me that I fuc$ed up???????????, Oh wait, I know, it was after I was done and you could go I'm not the only dumb as@ I'm really ROTTLMAO. I'm very pleased with the build now and will post some more pics to finalize the build, even with the screw up.