One more SPUD build "They call me Tater"

Pete H

Based on the success of other builds just like it, I was confident it should work. The risk of not being able to change anything, was worth the peace of mind knowing there would be no air leaks and the problems they might cause.

With the more "intelligent" access panel location, the pressure is probably 100X less than in the throat, so I don't think the seal issue would be as intense as you suggest.

Overkill is an oxymoron, eh?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should be fine for music.

Yes, music doesn't challenge a sub like the SPUD very much, even if a CD has 16Hz. content. However the LFE channel in movies is boosted by 10 db, according to Dolby white papers, so that is 10X the power at those frequencies, vs. normal output for music.

• Moderators

[:o]

I didn't think the frequencies past what the driver could produce hurt the driver. I don't use anything to stop frequencies lower than the sub can produce and have never heard it have a problem with any movie.......yet. [:|]

What happens with mains set to large and really low frequencies are sent to the main speakers ? I thought nothing happened ?

Have I just been lucky ? I have played movies that are supposedly have really low frequencies in them. I don't know, I did blow up my last sub but that was trying to keep up with the MWM's playing music, the spud keeps up with the MWM's without a problem, I use it set to cross at 40Hz with the MWM's.

Most times you're OK without a HPF at moderate listening. Personally, I'll push my subs hard from time to time. That's where you can run into trouble. Sending a driver a frequency lower than what the enclosere is tuned for can bottom a driver out when you crank it up. Ask me how I know[:$].

• Moderators

Sending a driver a frequency lower than what the enclosere is tuned for can bottom a driver out when you crank it up. Ask me how I know

Your not talking about your IB, if so I would also worry about everything falling off the walls throughout the whole house, or worse.

Sending a driver a frequency lower than what the enclosere is tuned for can bottom a driver out when you crank it up. Ask me how I know

Your not talking about your IB, if so I would also worry about everything falling off the walls throughout the whole house, or worse.

No, the IB doesn't need a HPF. We've taken down most of the pictures in the living room. My wife got tired of re-leveling them each time we watched a movie.

Check out THIS amp. It's one of the few out there with a selectable high pass filter (which you'll need). You can use your receiver's low pass filter. Credit thaddeussmith for bringing this very good option to my attention. It has a ton of options for the price.

That's a lot of amp and features for $220

Follow Rudy's build in regards to the access door because I just figured out today that the prints show an access door that is useless.

Not only is the Rudy/Dtel access door actually useable, it's in a lower pressure area of the horn, as opposed to in the throat (in the original drawing), so the seal doesn't have to be as strong.................
I discovered the better access location after cutting the side panel and access door but I have a solution that should work fine.