Emotiva owners

The Dude

How much area around the Emotiva amps do you need. I have a upa-5 I have been sitting on for about a year, I didn't have a space in my entertainment center for it or it would have been installed already. But now my ps3 craped out on my and I have my wife convinced if we get a new one I will be putting it on top now for air flow. So this leaves me with some space in the entertainment center to put the amp in, there is plenty of space on top but I don't know if there is enough air flow on the sides. I guess I could look at the owners manual to see what it says, but it looks as though some of you might have yours in a tight space.

thanks

Nick

Nick,

If you have limited airflow space on top, this will do wonders. It will suck out hot air and expell it to the sides or front and back. I have used one for over 3 years with an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver(known heat issue) and it really does a jam up job. It maintains the internal temp of the receiver about 20 to 25 degrees cooler than with out it. I have a second one doing the same for my Acurus 200FIVE amp that also has limited space above.

there is plenty of space on top but I don't know if there is enough air flow on the sides.

I think if you have ample room on top and are not "squeezing" the amp in a space with limited side clearance, you should be fine. Add a cooler fan for peace of mind.

http://www.buyextras.com/evavcoblfanf.html

buyextras_2186_35066846

Bill

ps3's put out a crap ton of heat and adding that ontop of the upa-5 isnt going to help the issue at all. I had like 5 inches above my xpa-5 and that was sooooooooooooooooo much room. You really just need a good 2 inches above it for natural heat exhaust. If you are going to stack, a ps3 is an animal to have above.

Willand, do you notice that your amps get really dusty inside because of the fan?

Willand, do you notice that your amps get really dusty inside because of the fan?

No I have not noticed that at all. The fans suck hot air through the top vents therefore pulling cool air in from the bottom vents where dust does not usually collect in my TV stand. Now I do not often pull out my amps from the stand but when I have, no unusual amount of dust has been noticed.

Bill

The best solution is an open rack with at least 4 inches above and at least 4 inches on each side. Heat really is a bad thing, in most of my set-ups I have the amps on a stand or in an open rack. On one of my set-ups with doors on the front, I have removed the entire back, so enough air can get to my amps. The back side is 2 feet by 4 feet and is completely open. This is one area where WAF and adequate cooling are sometimes at odds.

My XPA-2 sits directly on top of my XPA-5 and CD player directly above my XPA-5, the feet provide about 3/4" cleareance. There is about 1 1/2" on the sides, a glass door in front and a completely open back on my rack.

Everything stays exceptionally cool the amps barely get warm at all this is another nice thing about Emotiva amps they run very cool.

Emotiva has stated that Emotiva amps can be stacked directly on top of each other 3 high, the limit is for weight reasons since they are very heavy. So this means 3/4" cleareance above is OK but always be sure you have good ventilation from somewhere especially if something in the rack seems to generate much heat.

I'll repeat what other Emo amp owners are saying. I've got maybe 1" from the top of my XPA-5 amp and the glass shelf above it. It runs very cool. Much cooler than the Rotel amp I had before it.

If you have problems with heat from a Sony PS3 I'd recommend checking out a guy on ebay drmckenzie.

I bought the fan for my Onkyo pre/pro from him. The website listed on the sticker on the top of the fan doesn't seem to work but he/she seems to still have auctions on ebay so maybe he/she gave up the website for ebay selling. Not sure but I had great communication on ebay, quick shipping and a great product.

I cut and pasted the name from ebay and can't shake the purple text now!

My email response from the ebay seller:

Jeff,

I appreciate your help!

I've been working getting my web site set up for a while (I'm getting close :)).

Meanwhile, here's a link to my Ebay store, which lists my systems:

http://stores.ebay.com/AV-Cabinet-Cooling

Contact me if you need another cooling system, and remind me that I said I'd give you 10% off the system price.

Thanks,
Don
AV Cabinet Cooling

- drmckenzie

Almost no space at all. Emo says you can stack 3 high right. So that means that not only is 3/4 inch clearence ok but you can sandwhich an amp in between 2 other amps (which would melt last years Onkyo's BTW). I personally have about 1/3 inch clearence on the sides and about 5 inches overhead. Also If you are having heating issues with the PS3 just buy the fan unit that madcatz sells. It attaches right to the back of the PS3 and has 2 mini fans in it.Works good for me.

Thanks for the comments guys, For the record I would never stack my ps3 on top fo anything. It actually was in the cabinet by itself, I guess do to my neglect I never had taken it out and dusted it, I have tried fixing it but it only seems to be good for streaming music off of my comp. When I do get a new one I will be getting one of those fans that connects to the back and it will be on top of the entertainment center were it can get plenty of air. I will be building a new entertainment center this summer which will have bigger cavities I think I might even find a way to add some fans in the back.

Thanks