The Great not so much debate Sub Debate!

SuBXeRo

Sealed always has more distortion than vented....plenty of measurements on the web showing the comparisons. Ported tends to be less damped at the tuning frequency, but that's different than distortion.

...and Vented will always have worse transient response because of the inherently large phase shift of a 4th order filter. Distortion is fairly easy to minimize or work around, poor phase response not so much.

On a positive note, we can have our cake and eat it too with a folded horn.

And it's worth mentioning,

Infinite baffles exhibit exceptionally good transient response, but to pull one off with low distortion numbers like horns, is a very expensive endeavor if at all possible.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also love our RSW-15 sub. It's not boomy, sloppy or lazy. It's very musical yet it can be visceral during movies when it needs to be and it blends so well with the lower end of our RF-7s that it's pretty much impossible to localize. The RSW-15 was worth every penny in my opinion. -Glenn

And it's worth mentioning,

Infinite baffles exhibit exceptionally good transient response, but to pull one off with low distortion numbers like horns, is a very expensive endeavor if at all possible.

On the upside though is that you don't have to put a refrigerator sized box in your living room and they'll go deeper than just about any other configuration.

I've yet to see "One sub to rule them all", that's why I have or have had an IB, ported, sealed and front loaded horn. I've got wood cut and a driver for a tapped horn but running a little short on time as I have other irons in the building fire at the moment. I really enjoy ALL subs even with their different strengths and weaknesses.

I love my THT, plenty of clean output. Am I the only one that doesn't adjust my subwoofer once matched with Mains? Once I calibrate to 90 DB reference I don't adjust the sub level for music or movies.

I know that one issue some of us have is trying to reach a flat bass response in room , even after auto calibration. Use of tactile transducers can help with that problem, they can make the perceived bass response seem much more flat.

I love my THT, plenty of clean output. Am I the only one that doesn't adjust my subwoofer once matched with Mains?

I mess with the trim because my system pulls double-duty for music and movies. I trim my sub by +8 dB from flat for music. That's simply my preference because I don't listen to my system at Mach 10 all the time. It warms things up a little, which means for movies, the GF and I have to reach for the remote to trim it back down*, lest we be blowing ourselves out the side of our apartment. Even then we're still around +3 dB depending on what the movie is mixed at. The only time I've ever completely zeroed it out (flat) was during a couple of max SPL test runs** with some TELARC stuff and a few concert blu-rays.

When listening to music, truly "flat" bass response is acquired taste. Studio folks need it for their job, some critical listeners swear by it, but the average listener may find it lacking just a touch (due to the freq response of our ears). Hence the birth of the "house curve".

* Trim the bass down manually as you increase the system volume. Some systems do this on-the-fly and it's called "Dynamic EQ"

** The kind where I've got the meter on the tripod, double-hearing protection, and cleared it with the neighbors in advance.

i am very satisfied with those answers haha. they all seem right and proper haha. I think some of the best explanations about subs i have read and not having to sift through 40 pages of banter crap.

The one that kicks all their collective booties for the least money is the Tapped Horn sub using an Eminence LAB12 woofer. For about $175 driver and hardware cost with $100 worth of Oak Plywood, you can build your own. It will outperform any type of sealed or vented box. Or build a Spud Tapped Horn if you want a smaller box for about the same cost.

Ive decided that i will be getting 2 of the pc12-plus cylinder subs. I like their small footprint and versatility of placement. I am a fan of box subs too and their weight, but i think in the end, this will be a good solution DIY sub will probably be in the future cause i will be bored, but for now, i dont think itll happen.

i am very satisfied with those answers haha. they all seem right and proper haha. I think some of the best explanations about subs i have read and not having to sift through 40 pages of banter crap.

The one that kicks all their collective booties for the least money is the Tapped Horn sub using an Eminence LAB12 woofer. For about $175 driver and hardware cost with $100 worth of Oak Plywood, you can build your own. It will outperform any type of sealed or vented box. Or build a Spud Tapped Horn if you want a smaller box for about the same cost.

And if you want even less distortion, go with the tuba ht. Trade offs in every design though.