Anyone ever veneered pro speakers

The Dude

I am looking at picking up a couple pairs of Rigmas KPTs hopefully a pair of 200s and a pair of 100s. I was just wondering if they could be veneered in a nice wood veneer, how would they look. Also how about making some nice grills any ideas.

Just sitting around wondering.

Duder

I can see what you mean by the rounded corners, do even the Kpts have pebble paint. I guess I thought that more along the lines of the touring speakers would have the pebble paint. But if so, does it take alot to sand it off, I was thinking if not being able to veneer maybe a high gloss black piano like finish.

Duder,

You can certainly sand the cabinets to give you a smooth surface to work with for painting. The round over edges can be veneered but it is a very tedious process and I doubt that you can do it with paper backed veneer. I use the unbacked (raw) veneer and have applied it to many different shapes and sizes. You will have to achieve an exceptionally strong bond to the rounded edge. Painting will probably be your best option if you are not familiar with the veneering process.

W. C.

Yup, everything is possible... but sometimes thinking outside the
box. I'd pick up some veneered hardwood
plywood (1/8" or 1/4") and simply recover them. You also have to cap the edges with a small square
moulding (which would also allow you to deepen the front edge to recieve a grill) and veneer over that front edge.

2Q==

But that is just me...

post-11489-13819685737338_thumb.jpg

Yup, everything is possible... but sometimes thinking outside the box. I'd pick up some veneered hardwood plywood (1/8" or 1/4") and simply recover them. You also have to cap the edges with a small square moulding (which would also allow you to deepen the front edge to recieve a grill) and veneer over that front edge.

2Q==

But that is just me...

Thought about this as well, then I get to thinking would it just be easier to make new cabs.

the pebble paint process could be sanded off, I've done some repairs on pro Klipsch and it sands easily. Basically the finish is applied with a special gun that sprays droplets that stick together making the 'pebble' and then overcoated in black. The high gloss look would be attainable. I think the pro Cinema has a finer texture than say a KPT682 sub. The pebbling is sort of adjusted to the size of the cabinet it seems. Smaller boxes, smaller pebbles. Marshall would know all a out the process.

The best way would be to router out the rounded edges, then rip some popular or similar into square shaped lengths and glue to create propper square corners.

Roger

I almost suggested that but thought maybe it would take away too much wood. But Roger has much more experience than I (I've lugged around a couple of Michaels) with Klipsch pro gear so should be no problems with what he suggested. I was afraid one would have to remove too much wood out of the corner.

Depending on how the cabinets were constructed, routing out the edges may present a problem if they were screwed together....just ask me How I Know This...? Anyway, there have been several great suggestions as to how to accomplish what you are looking to do.

Good luck with your cabinets....!

(edited for spelling {sp})

I also took woods shop in 7th, 8th 9th, 10th, & 11th grades in middle and Highschool. WWood shop 3 in highschool was only by request of the teacher and there were only 3 of us in a class of over 900. We made prodjects for the teacher that he bid on, but it got us out of study hall. After this, I was the face frame builder for a custom cabinet shop for 3.5 years, then I worked for a custom laminet shop for a year and a half. If the material on a smaller Pro speaker was too thin, I would router a shallower but wider edge and rip rectangles to fill the cut, but this would be the propper way to do it.

Roger

I think it seems easiest to simply get out your orbital and sand down all the texture really smooth, and then fill in any imperfections with bondo/mud - keep sanding and progressively smoothing. Spray on some build up primer, keep progressively sanding - If you have patience and good sanding/spraying skill go for the the Piano Black. with the rounded corners and such, it would look very elegant. Do the front and rear panels, too. No Grills.

You could also do all the above prep/primer/sanding and then hand it off to MACO or some other automotive paint shop for the application of black paint and final rubbing/buffing.