Turntables, revisited

colterphoto1

NOT HAPPY with the sound of this table/cart and service performed.

Cartridge sticks out of headshell, bolts protrude from top.

That's just the cosmetics. Repair shop guy didn't even take time to dust the gimble assembly before fine tuning the setup, do you think I want to wipe it down after paying for adjustment?

Touching the headshell causes terrible hum, touching tonearm does not. I don't know about you guys, but I touch the headshell.

Output is VERY VERY WEAK. Yamaha RXV2600 says phone input is 3.5 mv, Grado rated at 5 mv so should make music well before -5db on the volume scale ( I usually listen to other sources at -40 to -20.

SL1700 is supposed to be semi-automatic, played my first LP this morning and guess what - no auto-return..

This guy has my Thorens, I think I'll take this Technics back and see if he can get it right first before tackling a more expensive, complicated turntable.

Any help (without spending hundreds more on setups and gear)? I have a MMF5 that sounds great, should probably toss the other two??

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the output is that weak then something is wrong either with the cart/wiring or your phono board. (doubtful)... I've run my MC Lyra helicon 0.4 mv ( requires at least 55-60db of gain through the standard MM input for giggles and while not great, still had volume......

and your hum, is that 60 hz ground loop hum? If so try running the grounding wire directly to the center screw of your outlet.... Sounds like you are compleating a grounding loop when you touch the head shell ( in that case you have an exposed wire touching somewhere it shouldn't be ( try a new set of wires to your cart... real fragile and fray easily)....

Let this guy get the techniques fixed before tackling a harder job of the Thorens...... May I suggest a used VPI scout..... I recently sold one ( to take a major step up) for $1100 including a Dynavector 5x and cover, seems to be the going rate for mint..... really really great table, I had to spend 5k to get a significant increase

If the Thorens is @ the same place, have them cease and desist ASAP, and by all means, find out if they have the chops to get that Technics running right...could be just the wrong hand got ahold of it, maybe some pediatric type who doesn't understand record players??

Here's something that might be of interest to you phono guys: http://www.roger-russell.com/sonopg/micropg.htm regarding the Micro-Acoustics company. I never had one of their cartridges, but I do have a preamp they made with all these push-buttons on the front presumably for various cartridges' output levels and types of elements. Thing does not even HAVE tone controls, just a detented volume and balance, and of course, input selection with tape loop, all the goodies a purist would need in 1965-1970 or whenever this relic was made....I swapped a guy a 35W per side Kenwood receiver and replacing the woofers in his Baby Advent speakers for this preamp and a Phase Linear 400 power amp...guy's sister was also his roomie...would go out, have too many martinis, come home and crank that Phase through the Advents...apparently it happened more than once!

This is maddening. Hooked up to Gallery Jubilee system (yamaha pre) and worked fine. Still some hum although both this room and hearth room have isolated outlets for stereo only and ground wire was attached. MMF5 on same system is dead quiet. Same deal with Yammie stereo receiver in office. The non-pickup at LP end must have been that particular LP as two others have auto-returned. I spent about 7 minutes with light dish soap/water and some Qtips cleaning the gimbal, controls, took the platter off and gently scrubbed all the grime from the bagillion strobe dots. I mean, if you're going to perform the 'once in 40 years' servicing of a piece of gear wouldn't you tidy it up and remove dirt before adjusting and lubing? I'm still going to take it back to the guy and try to figure out why the hum. Going back to the big Yamaha to see what was the matter with earlier hook-up. arrgggh

Mang, that sounds really frustrating! I was happily listening to my Technics last night, and there's definitely no hum when touching the headshell.

As for output, I usually listen to CDs at -32 to -38 dB on my Yamaha RX-V750, and turn it up to -12 to -18 dB to listen to LPs. Some low-level records may need to be turned up to -8 dB for really loud playing. That's with the Shure M97xE that's rated at 4mv output. Your cartridge putting out 3.5mv should not be much different.

The auto-return on some Technics turntables has a small belt and some sort of electronic component, and I've heard they can be hard to fix, so on many older decks they're not working.

If you really need auto lift-off, there used to be a small mechanical counterweight device available for use on any deck that would flip when the tonearm contacts it and lift it as the stylus enters the lead-out groove. A friend has one stuck onto his Thorens. It looks simple and effective, but I don't know what it's called.

Perhaps another member has heard of or seen something like that.

GREAT, left message with guy to suspend work on Thorens yesterday, then got a call that it was 'done' and ready for pickup. I'm not looking forward to this meeting/confrontation at all. Is there someone reasonable who wants to come along and slow me down when I get all ramped up?

Well that worked out ok. Took the Technics back in, complained about the long mounting screws and hum upon touching headshell. He informs me that Grado's don't have much shielding so that is standard. I say it will always bother me. He offers to take it back and not charge extra to reinstall another Shure M97eX (which you guys suggested. The Shure sent to me by Gary MD (Thanks again) is fully mounted on the Thorens which plays beautifull now! Total spent $80 on the Shure cart, 20 labor on Technics, 45 on the Thorens. He suggests using the TD25MK II as main table, Technics on everyday rig (as I've been doing).. I'm going to hold off a bit but think I may sell this MMF5, after making sure I'm totally happy with the operation of the Thorens (which I've owned for a few years now if you're following along, but never really used). Will use 2 step plastic polish on the dust cover and oil the wood up tomorrow, mount cover and take some photos for posterity. I may finally get happy with my vinyl rigs and get to listening/sorting these boxes and boxes of vinyl I've accumulated over the past few years. WOOHOOOO

Hey Michael...... You know your not going to like vinyl, so here's what I'll do.... Pack it all up and ship it to me and I'll spend countless hours, toiling away, lusting to that vinyl, and I'll let you know If is any good and weather or not you would have enjoyed it. Win - win...... Lol

glad everything worked out!!!

Pack it all up and ship it to me and I'll spend countless hours, toiling away, lusting to that vinyl, and I'll let you know If is any good and weather or not you would have enjoyed it. Win - win...... Lol

Freudian slip? [6][:P][;)]

Pack it all up and ship it to me and I'll spend countless hours, toiling away, lusting to that vinyl, and I'll let you know If is any good and weather or not you would have enjoyed it. Win - win...... Lol

Freudian slip? DevilStick out tongueWink

Darn Corrective text on my Iphone...... I think that phone knows What i really mean to say!!!! Scary!!!!

Too funny