loudness war explained

seti

I assume this appeals to the masses that don't have systems capable of the dynamic swings?

I don't agree. We shouldn't all be so quick to pat ourselves on the back for having good systems. Even a mediocre system will sound better when the music is not compressed. The compression makes the music "pop" when it is played on the radio after another sond. it is louder and jumps out and gets your attention (which in theory leads to more sales).

My explanation is ingoring a higher noise floor in a car or when out listening to an Ipod.

LOL, no need to pat myself, buddy. It was a valid observation, as is yours, and nothing more. :)

I didn't mean you in particular. I just meant that it is easy for all of us to say that a low cost system will not notice the difference. But compressed music will sound bad on all but the cheapest systems (in which case it does not matter).

No harm no foul.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly, I'm not familiar with "LoFi" as a genre...

LoFi would be artists who will still use 4 track cassettes, cheap microphones, record on the street, methods to just get their music done and out the door. Sometimes it really is a budgetary constraint, or they just like to work that way from an artistic standpoint

Bruce.

Grab a copy of Red Hot Chili Peppers blood sugar sex magic and californication.. Blood Sugar Sex Magic is produced mastered very well but Californication is a prime example of loudness war cd.

[:|] Holy crap!...This is an excellent showcase in audio-counterpoint. [Y][Y]

Blew the dust off BSSM. I admit it's been a while since I've listened to the album, it sounds fantastic just like I remember. Went over to the other shelf and nabbed Californication and dropped it in.

Good grief! It's Red Hot Chili Peppers, sure but it's nearly flat as road-kill 'possum and over-seasoned with 80 grit oxide.

I thought the mix on Angel Dust from Faith No More sucked, but this...Someone got paid for this? [+o(]

I would have to certainly agree, great example Seti, thanks! Enjoyed checking out the contrast between the two.

Didn't see ANY factual information at all, just a trumped up example. If you actually bother to listen to the narrator, he says "if this track had been released in 2006, someone would probably have insisted it was this loud." I didn't see where there was an example of "before" and "after", simply a blanket claim that this is the industry standard at this time. Just another example of just how gullible audio enthusiasts have become.

Grab a copy of Red Hot Chili Peppers blood sugar sex magic and californication.. Blood Sugar Sex Magic is produced mastered very well but Californication is a prime example of loudness war cd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

I'm pretty sure I'm not willing to spend a dime on RHCP, but we're going right back to what I said in the first place. What songs appear on BOTH albums where you can show a before/after example of this clipping? If the current trend is for hip hop artists is to highly compress their dynamic range to boost the average energy level, I'm not sure how that affects those of us who don't even consider that genre to be music. Is there a chance that hip hop producers are going to completely take over the music industry and insist on doing the same to classical, jazz and vocal artists? I doubt it.

I'm pretty sure I'm not willing to spend a dime on RHCP, but we're going right back to what I said in the first place. What songs appear on BOTH albums where you can show a before/after example of this clipping? If the current trend is for hip hop artists is to highly compress their dynamic range to boost the average energy level, I'm not sure how that affects those of us who don't even consider that genre to be music. Is there a chance that hip hop producers are going to completely take over the music industry and insist on doing the same to classical, jazz and vocal artists? I doubt it.

The RHCP example is a good one of album done right and album done wrong. You aren't going to find examples of the same songs on both albums because this is how they are releasing the albums. You don't have a choice or loudness on or off. The trend isn't just hip hop artist nor is this where it started but this practice spreads the spectrum of popular music. If it is expected to be played on the radio chances are the album will be enhanced. There are exceptions like artist who care about the quality of their albums and are more involved in the album production. Like I said most independent or indie labels don't buy into this method of production either.

Kind of an interesting read, as I listen to my 1985 TELARC version of HOLST "The Planets", On my relatively Noisy ADCOM 6000 GTP amp with my paultry Heresy II's mains and Herey rears, and a simple KV-1 center.

Amazing when the timpanii hit several times and my pant leg vibrated against my shin.

Is TELARC still remastering "masterpieces"?

The RHCP example is a good one of album done right and album done wrong. You aren't going to find examples of the same songs on both albums because this is how they are releasing the albums. You don't have a choice or loudness on or off. The trend isn't just hip hop artist nor is this where it started but this practice spreads the spectrum of popular music. If it is expected to be played on the radio chances are the album will be enhanced. There are exceptions like artist who care about the quality of their albums and are more involved in the album production. Like I said most independent or indie labels don't buy into this method of production either.

In other words, you're speculating and can't offer any kind of convincing proof other than hearsay and opinion, no surprise there.

In other words, you're speculating and can't offer any kind of convincing proof other than hearsay and opinion, no surprise there.

Let your ears be your guide.

seti (Iain), I appreciate your comments on this subject--and I don't believe that you're speculating since this subject has been documented elsewhere. Your point is well made, IMHO.

"T.H.E. Droid": I recommend AVForums. You may be happier there.