Pandora is now on Directv!

TasDom

Directv installed an update last night. One of the additions is Pandora. It may be my imagination but it sounds better than it does from my computer thats also hooked up to my receiver via HDMI.

For those of you that have Directv......enjoy!

• Moderators

I like Pandora, we listen alot, we get it wireless through the BR player, to me the sound is 90% as good as a CD. I really like how you get new music thats similar to what you want.

We have Dish and the music channels are ok for backround music but that's about all.

Good deal to have it on the sat service. [H]

Was just checking their website. FWIW, You must have a HD DVR to access pandora.

From their website:

(copied and pasted)

With DIRECTV, you can now enjoy Pandora internet radio right through your TV.
It’s FREE and available to anyone with an HD DVR connected to the Internet.

If you love music and haven’t experienced Pandora, you’re in for a treat.
Pandora lets you create your own personalized radio stations that play music you
love. Just enter a favorite artist, track, or genre, and Pandora will create a
station that plays their music and more like it, helping you to discover new
music based on your entry. You can create up to 100 personalized radio stations
to suit whatever you’re in the mood for.

To access Pandora on your TV, just
press the MENU button on your remote, select Extras, and then select Pandora.
Just follow the simple on-screen instructions to set up Pandora on your TV. If
you don’t have a Pandora account already, it will ask you to create one by
visiting pandora.com from your computer.
You only have to activate and log in to Pandora once. The next time you launch
it, you can start enjoying your favorite music immediately.

A firmware download can be forced by doing this.
Reboot the system
When the first screen appears, press 02468 using your remote control

The remote must be in IR mode

Good to know, great info.

Thanks!

Your welcome. That'll get you the national release of firmware. If you want the beta (CuttingEdge) then you need to force a download at the appropriate time. Instead of giving that info here I will point you to a forum for information http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php

does it go into screen save mode when playing?

Yeah, the album art and song information bounce around the screen after a few seconds. Kind of like the directv logo does on the sonic tap sations. Nice to have to prevent screen burn in if left alone for an extended period of time. Another thing that was downloaded is a new energy saving function. If your remote is unused for 4 hours, the set top box shuts it self off. You can de-active it tho if un wanted.

This feature was a Cutting Edge (beta) release in December and may not have made it to national release or was removed. I have not been following along the CE program as of late so I am back to the national release software. If you are interested please check the link I supplied above and join the CE crowd. #1 rule is never contact DTV and mention that you are using this software or ask questions about a feature that is obtained by using the software. DTV uses the CE guys to test and get feedback so it is a program provided by the engineers but the customer service reps do not support it.

I found the issue, you have to reboot and force download during the night on fridays or saturdays during certain times, so that is the key information that wasn't given previously in this thread.

The info was given in an earlier post:

Your
welcome. That'll get you the national release of firmware. If you want
the beta (CuttingEdge) then you need to force a download at the
appropriate time. Instead of giving that info here I will point you to a
forum for information http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php

and the exact information was intentionally left out. No one should force a beta load unless they are willing to abide by the rules and are willing to suffer the consequences of a corrupt load. I never had an issue BUT if you do and it bricks your receiver then you are S.O.L.

I put the link up so folks would have to go learn about the Cutting Edge program and not jump in to get Pandora. Getting the latest features IS NOT what the opportunity to test is about.