What is the appropriate forum for

USNRET

help with this? I couldn't choose as it didn't fit nicely anywhere.

I have an Apple TV, a wireless network (wireless in my 2 channel room any way, no hardwire there) with a 2T external drive on my router, a DAC (Emo XDA-1) and I want to use the Apple TV as music server via optical output to DAC then to my Peach preamp. I would be using HDMI from Apple TV to a yet undetermined monitor to view song selections, playlist, etc.

I want to place the monitor on the coffee table at my 2 channel sweet spot and control the AppleTv with the remote for music selections.

My network is a combo Windows XP / 7 / Mac OS10 (not really relevant here I don't think)

1) Will this work?

2) Seeking suggestions for the cheapest HDMI capable Monitor or TV available locally at places like Wal@Mart, Sam';s, Best B*y and the like. I have been looking but the filter list on some of these sites are lacking.

if you have an iphone, you can also manage the apple TV on the iphone...from anywhere in the house.

No fancy pants phone here. I just like a phone that rings. Seriously, my customer pays my phone bills and they get to pick the phone: BlackBerry

if you have an iphone, you can also manage the apple TV on the iphone...from anywhere in the house.

No fancy pants phone here. I just like a phone that rings. Seriously, my customer pays my phone bills and they get to pick the phone: BlackBerry

What about an ipod touch or ipad then?

no fancy monitor required. HDMI is built on the DVI spec, so all you need to do is buy a cable from monoprice that goes from HDMI to DVI and you're good to go. Just about any monitor built in the last decade should be able to hook up without issue. Everything else in your chain looked pretty straight forward.

BTW, I'm doing this right now in the bedroom - directv box is connecting video to a 24" lcd monitor I had using the cable described above, with audio going to a logitech ipod speaker dock via line-in. Ghetto, but works until I figure out my future TV plans for the "theater".

no fancy monitor required. HDMI is built on the DVI spec, so all you need to do is buy a cable from monoprice that goes from HDMI to DVI and you're good to go. Just about any monitor built in the last decade should be able to hook up without issue. Everything else in your chain looked pretty straight forward.

BTW, I'm doing this right now in the bedroom - directv box is connecting video to a 24" lcd monitor I had using the cable described above, with audio going to a logitech ipod speaker dock via line-in. Ghetto, but works until I figure out my future TV plans for the "theater".

If you require a long one of these cables (not sure what your setup is) and go this route, I have a new 25' one never used.

I need to get some professional help here in da crib. I downloaded the Remote 2 app to the IPOD and for a very few moments it saw everything after login_passowrd-login-password; yada yada yada. It lasted for about 1/2 of a song then it just hung. I have spent the last hour rebooting every thing on the net to get internet back up.

Enough of that BS

Pick up a refurb ipad 1 for cheap

Perhaps my search skills are not the best but I see around 400 bucks for one of these!

Well...... not that cheap, compared to decent display monitor these days. I drank the apple koolaide a long time ago lol I love my Iphone/ipad remotes and not being tethered to anything.

sorry to read your system crashed... I've never encountered a single problem

You could buy a $100 dirt cheap android tablet and use a VNC client or spend $4.99 on Splashtop RDP...I know they work with windows and linux..they might on apple products as well...I can't afford that elite apple club status, but I am sure some of the more tech savvy forum members might know.

I stopped by a pawn shop today and got a 17" PC monitor w/DVI input and a new ariculating wall mount for $50 (I had a HDMI>DVI adapter).I am up and running. I couldn't deal with the IPOD control, I'm too old. Best thing about it is that I have a friend that swears that MP-3 files are just as good as CD, Vinyl or anything else. Now I can bet him a beer and prove one of us wrong.

I'll pay my 10 year old son to rip all the CDs now.

I just everything 'racked' after the test session and I am going to A/B my Jolida CD modded by HotRodAudioMods to the Emotiva XDA-1. At least now I have remote control volume. I will probably use Apple lossless just so all us kids in the house are compatible.

Help me bender, what is the difference between AppleTv and AirTunes?

From what I know.... There is the apple airport extream That is the wireless router base station and the airport express .... That are wifi recivers with USB , RCA ect jacks so you can plug them into any audio system/ printer/ ect as a relay ( I believe the express can also be used as a range extender). AirTunes is built into the firmware of the airports so it can seamlessly transmit iTunes via wifi

. apple TV works much the same way for music/ data ( its a wifi receiver). But also can be used to stream video to a tv monitor. I think it has a few other features but I have not used the apple TV.

So many toys. So little time to enjoy them.

with all the tech..... I still lovemy vinyl and the ritual of it!!!!

Which generation of apple tv are you using? You say you are using the apple tv as a server. It it's first gen the music can be stored on the apple tv or it can be streamed from another computer. If its 2nd gen I believe that it can just stream from another computer where the music would be stored. The best approach to your question depends on which atv you have

JOSH

Which generation of apple tv are you using? You say you are using the apple tv as a server. It it's first gen the music can be stored on the apple tv or it can be streamed from another computer. If its 2nd gen I believe that it can just stream from another computer where the music would be stored. The best approach to your question depends on which atv you have

JOSH

Darned if I know, I just bought it new a few months ago. I am streaming wirelessly over my network and at this moment the external drive is plugged into a USB port on the Mac Mini. I had the drive on my router but I am trying various configs. ITunes on my XP machine refuses to rip to the external drive in ITunes.