Cornwall's

BMWM5

I own a split level and have my K-Horns in the Living Room and my Cornwalls in the downstairs family room. I run both pairs from my Luxman LV-105u. The Cornwall's in the Family Room sit between a 50" Sony Bravia HD TV. I now would like to hook the Cornwall's up to the TV. My question is how do I do it. Can I operate the speakers with the TV and Luxman? I never play the stereo and TV at the same time. I just want to hook up the Cornwalls to the TV for the enhanced sound. Can it be done and how can it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

MGJ

• Moderators

or you could dismantle the tv, cut the wires to the tv speakers, splice in the wires from the cornwalls and tada

I kind if did that about 30 years ago, I connected them to inputs of a stereo, you had to be careful with the TV volume. [:$]

A avr is your best bet, something with 2 zones then you can get rid of the luxman. Most 2 zone avrs have 2 remotes one for each room, a IR remote spot upstairs will give you control for one system in 2 rooms some of them have powered 2nd zone some you have to have a external amp which isn't a bad idea. Now if you go this route then you'll be wanting a center channel and surrounds and sub for that room downstairs were the tv is, this is were the upgrade bug will bite so keep it simple don't get over whelmed.

The possibilities have gotten endless these days with home audio, you can customize your whole house if you want.

Have fun if you have any questions there are plenty of threads, forums around here with lots of knowledge to help you spend your money, I mean help you along your journey.[;)]

duder

With an AVR it is easy. Simply run a cable (HDMI, optical, or just RCA) from the audio outputs on the tv to the "TV" section on the back of the AVR. Plug the speakers into the AVR. Select "TV" on the AVR. Enjoy.

And as duder says, you'll probably eventually get bitten by the upgrade bug and want the full surround!

Years ago before AVRs I would use a stereo VCR and later a recordable DVD that have cable pass through. Then I would run the audio outs to a line level input on the receiver ie: vcr, aux, etc.

Example: Antenna (cable) into the vcr then to tv input. Then audio cable from the vcr or dvd player to the receiver. I have an old set up in the garage with an old Marantz receiver, old Magnavox vcr and, an old tv so I can listen to the games a little louder than in the house.

Just an old vcr.

If your TV has live audio outputs for running an unamplified sound bar, you can try those. The Cornwalls are very efficient and should sound pretty good unless there is an extreme impredence mismatch. Alternately, there are a number of low cost (under $200) 2-channel receivers on the market that can be connected to the TV audio out jacks on the TV. If you also want to use your current setup, you need to add an A-B speaker selector switch to the Cornwalls to allow you to pick between the TV and main speaker outputs.