AV Preamp Processor

Panacea Engineering

I am in the process of researching Pre/Pro's to upgrade my Sony STR DA5300ES. As I have enough quantity of sufficient amps to supply the home theater (7.2), I want to get away from the intergrated amp/receiver. The Sony has served me very well for the last four years and I have not even had a hickup out of it, in all of that time. It is used daily and never failed to amaze me as it can certainly do a lot more than I ask of it. It has a couple of quirks but nothing that has ever made me sorry for purchasing it. Now that I am going to be building a complete new AV room, in the new building, it is time to start the research process. Below is a list of some of the Pre/Pro's that I have looked at:

Marantz AV 7005 - $1,599.00

Integra DHC 80.3 - $2,600.00

Denon AVP A1HDC1 - $7,500.00

Carey Cinema 12 - $7,500.00

Arcam A888 - $7,900.00

Anthem D2v - $8,999.00

What I am having a very hard time understanding is the difference in cost as most of the features are pretty much identical in ALL of them. The Marantz by everything that I have read is as good and better than most on the list at a fraction of the price. Am I totally missing something? Any experiencies with what is listed or any suggestions for additional units to look at are more than welcome, as this is going to be a pretty big decision for me and I want it to be right. If cost is not the driving issue, what is? What do you get for the five thousand dollar jump between the Integra and the Denon?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is interesting to me. Why is there thousands of dollars on the line here?

Because money is not the first consideration for everyone? The Anthem or Arcam would be nice, but not at what I see as a crazy price.

From the pricing perspective, I'm guessing we are talking about a combination of:

• law of diminishing marginal returns
  • country of fabrication
  • brand equity
  • prestige pricing

I like wiki's definition of prestige pricing:

Premium pricing (also called prestige pricing) is the strategy of consistently pricing at, or near, the high end of the possible price range to help attract status-conscious consumers. The high pricing of premium product is used to enhance and reinforce a product's luxury image. Examples of companies which partake in premium pricing in the marketplace include Rolex and Bentley. As well as brand, product attributes such as eco-labelling and provenance (e.g. 'certified organic' and 'product of Australia') may add value for consumers[1] and attract premium pricing. A component of such premiums may reflect the increased cost of production. People will buy a premium priced product because:

• They believe the high price is an indication of good quality;
  • They believe it to be a sign of self worth - "They are worth it;" it authenticates the buyer's success and status; it is a signal to others that the owner is a member of an exclusive group;
  • They require flawless performance in this application - The cost of product malfunction is too high to buy anything but the best - example : heart pacemaker.

AV Processors become obsolete so quickly, I'd be hesitant to dump a load of $... esp given what they sell used after only a couple of years. But that is just me...
ROb

Guess I should have phrased my question: Given the specific features, what would be the best purchase, cost aside. If one of you were spending the money, How would you spend it? I am hoping that someone that either has or has tried these out can chime in as I do not want this to become a discussion on solely cost. If you can point out the difference in cost by features or quality, that is what I am looking for.

If i were spending my money I would probably get the 7005 if I needed one now.I do however have some patience so I could wait on the new units coming this year that will set a new standard of price and features and quality.PS, your question was fine, we are just a bunch of bang for the buckers.

The Anthem or Arcam would be nice, but not at what I see as a crazy price

Price aside, what puts the Anthem or Arcam ahead of the Marantz.....?

I love music, the Anthem sang and the 7005 was not as good as my UMC.I have not heard the Arcam but I once had an Arcam avr and it did music nicely.The XMC may have only one HDMI out, it's a non issue as that is easily solved for a few bucks, as to bugs who knows? But I'm way in.There is no unit with no complaints, if there is it will have.The 7005 was the Giant killer, then someone discovered it used Denons cheap avr analog section,so I read.I know I was not impressed with sound, it operated great.

The XMC may have only one HDMI out, it's a non issue as that is easily solved for a few bucks

Care to shed some light on this solve....? Yes, I have read the reviews until I am cross-eyed......! Nothing wron with bang for the buck as i certainly do not want to spend money foolishly. That was my whole point in questioning the five thousand dollar spread in prices.

hdmi splitter

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2

24 dollar solution to a thousand dollar problem [:D]

im not sure on the exact differences between the marantz 7005 and 8003 but I remember hearing it was slightly lateral with ups and downs for each unit when compared to each other, maybe some newer features or dacs in the 7005 but better components for the 8003? anyway the umc was a no brainer on cost/preformance for me and while im not desperately waiting for the xmc I do have a feeling it will be in my cabinet eventually, the firmware and support with emotivas products is definitely top notch

Price aside, what puts the Anthem or Arcam ahead of the Marantz.....?

I am not sure about the Arcam but Anthem has set a benchmark with their history of pre/pros that have consistently outdone themselves time and time again. Their Statement models have very few peers.

Bill