cartridge headshell photos

colterphoto1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With mm all you need to do is replace the stylus and with several brands you can upgrade the stylus from original. Wear is not a legitimate reason for mc over mm, and for cost is even a negative, or can be.

MC just sounds better than MM imho. Sure it costs a few more bucks, and you have to get a step-up transformer, but it's well worth it in the long run.

Mike

hooked up the other day, oiled the cabinet, plastic polish the dust cover. RATS - the thing now displays a crunchy, electronics-like buzzing sound through the Jubiliees. NO it's not hum, there is no ground wire on Thorens and I know 60hz when i hear it. This is more a steady crackling sound. I take it back to shop, the guy has a TD124 hooked up to the same system and it does the SAME THING.. So I hooked up the Music Hall back up, it's dead quiet. I guess I'll sell it. I can't stand to listen to the thing and now ti's been to two shops. Shop guy suggested that maybe i needed a more audiophile quailtiy turntable to go with the rest of my system when I mentioned the processing and bi-amplified speakers. We could barely hear the noise through his Marantz/Polk system but then I"m trying to be REALLY PICKY here. If I can hear the hiss of a Crown amp or the buzzing of a turntable across the room, I don't want it in my system. Geesh- how hard is it to get a nice system set up? I'm about ready to scrap the entire 2 channel systems(s) in my gallery room, just clear it ALL OUT. I'm sorry I ever got started thinking that I could piece together an 'audiophile' system on my limited budget. There's only like $10,000 in this room and I can't stand to listen to any of it.

I"ve had two turntables to this shop and taken them both back a second time. The Thorens is still not right and I have a brand new cartridge, shipping, and repair charges from two different shops into it. Local guy says 'well at least you can get your money out of it, right?' I'm through!

I"ve had two turntables to this shop and taken them both back a second time. The Thorens is still not right and I have a brand new cartridge, shipping, and repair charges from two different shops into it. Local guy says 'well at least you can get your money out of it, right?' I'm through!

All I can say is that if these folks were your doctors we wouldn't be having this discussion...

I figured that out when he insisted on putting your nuts in upside down.

Dave

I've got the Technics back and will use the INCLUDED stylus gauge to see if things are correct by it before testing. This whole turntable repair experience has left a very bad taste. I don't trust any of the machines and sure don't want to play valuable vinyl on gear that I don't trust. Therefore I'll just not play anything. Anyone know of a GOOD turntable service tech???

the stylus of Shure M97eX on my Technics sits appreciably forward of the marking indicated on the original 52mm overhang gauge supplied with the turntable. Not happy. A couple hundred buck more in the hole and right back where I started. HELP!

Michael, sounds like these repair guys have no idea what they're doing. I know your frustration, I feel it, too. There are so many little adustments that make huge differences in sound when dealing with turntables. When I found my Pioneer PL-41 turntable, I took it to a local expert audio shop to get a new cartridge, and get the thing tuned up. Turns out they missed a lot of things (including installing a cartridge that really didn't work with the arm!). I've learned a lot on how to set up turntables from the web, and in talking to various people. You absolutely have the mechanical aptitude to learn too, but it sounds like you're at the end of your patience.

thanks guys, I know where to come for support, even when i'm losing my mind. There is another high $$ audiophile shop in Broad Ripple of all places, so very nearby. I might let them have a go at it. i know I have a 'less than optimal' cartridge installed but it's what I have hopefully won't be too far off. I don't think it had the buzz before but really haven't played it much. Just seems very odd for a TT to not have a ground strap (if that's what's causing the difficulty). Yes the local guy put on the Grado Black, which exhibited hum on the Technics (see other thread) and when questioned said 'oh yes those do that', so I'm done with that shop.

Not a great angle but the only one I have of the SME IV/Zu DL-103R combo. As Gary said, show us a pic so we can see what's going on.

Mike

Mike, that is an awesome pic man, I know that baby sounds sweet[:P] This is my newly aquired Sondsmith SMMC3 on the Amadeus, sorry my phone camera does not take very sharp pictures[:(]

post-18681-1381969198433_thumb.jpg

the stylus of Shure M97eX on my Technics sits appreciably forward of the marking indicated on the original 52mm overhang gauge supplied with the turntable. Not happy. A couple hundred buck more in the hole and right back where I started. HELP!

I had a SL-1200 with a M97 for a while. It's a pretty good combo.

Bring it to Florida with you. I'm right on the way to Marshall's house. I'll get it set up for you.